Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix LT FAQ

Digital_Igloo

All Helix models have a Mic Tube PreAmp Model type listed in the Helix PreAmps > Mic! You may insert this Block in your signal chain as you see fit for use with your Acoustic Guitar, regardless if you bring the Acoustic Guitar in via Helix LT's Guitar In or FX Returns. The Helix Floor and Rack, have the Guitar Aux In and XLR Inputs along with the associated supporting electronics.

Thanks MusicLaw! I don't think I'll need the additional I/O of the Floor. I actually prefer the simpler I/O of the LT, and I would want the Helix LT to replace my entire rig for both electric and acoustic. The only effects I see myself needing for acoustic are compression, eq, delay, reverb, tremolo, and a looper and possibly some custom IRs that capture a more natural acoustic sound. I should have plenty of space in the second signal path for those effects, unless I am thinking about it incorrectly.

The DSP, Signal Paths, and available Block Model Types are identical in all the Helix models.

What is different is that the LT does not have a dedicated Guitar Aux In jack for a 2nd Guitar (your Acoustic, an Active Pickup guitar, or Bass), nor does it have a Mic XLR in for Vocals (or Micing an Acoustic Guitar). The LT does have Two (2) FX Sends and Returns. So, you can either use either FX Return to connect your Acoustic Guitar and One (1) remains available for an outboard pedal, external Looper, etc.

If you need more analog inputs, or feel the dedicated Headphone Volume knob would be useful, then the full Helix Floor is the way to go.

Otherwise, the LT and Floor are sonically identical.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi i had Amplifi fx and then I upgraded and use Firehawk fx and find it simple to use and tweak,i like the sounds i have created and i have patches saved for specific songs in my band,i am seriously considering upgrading to the helix LT but one thing is stopping me ,i need to know if i can somehow download /transfer my Firehawk sounds to a helix LT ,does the LT use bluetooth and is it connected to a cloud like the Firehawk,is there an app or does all editing take place on the in built screen?are the compatible ?

does the helix LT have all the same amp,cab and effects that the Firehawk has?

i must be able to re create my sounds preferably with minimal mucking about, i want to play my guitar not muck about with buttons and nobs again,i've already done this to many times.,amplifi to firehawk sounds were easily copied over and tweaked.

any info would be helpful.

Hi i had Amplifi fx and then I upgraded and use Firehawk fx and find it simple to use and tweak,i like the sounds i have created and i have patches saved for specific songs in my band,i am seriously considering upgrading to the helix LT but one thing is stopping me ,i need to know if i can somehow download /transfer my Firehawk sounds to a helix LT ,does the LT use bluetooth and is it connected to a cloud like the Firehawk,is there an app or does all editing take place on the in built screen?are the compatible ?

does the helix LT have all the same amp,cab and effects that the Firehawk has?

i must be able to re create my sounds preferably with minimal mucking about, i want to play my guitar not muck about with buttons and nobs again,i've already done this to many times.,amplifi to firehawk sounds were easily copied over and tweaked.

any info would be helpful.

Short answer is no to pretty much all of the above, unfortunately for your preferences.

They're not compatible, and I suspect there are some common, but other not shared models to reference.

You'd have to start from scratch (but armed with the knowledge of how you went about programming the previous devices).

There's a computer editor, but no Bluetooth/app methodology.

I'm sure many will tell you; working with Helix is quite intuitive - armed with the many threads of advice and helpful tips here on the forum areas, you'd likely be up and running in short order on a Helix LT.

• 1 month later...

The LT can definitely replace what the 500x is doing. Things are a little confusing on my end if you're trying to replace the analog pedals and still incorporate the loopers. It seems like you would still need to use additional sends and returns inside Helix to do that. One reason being that I think you can only use one instance of the looper inside Helix (although you would probably prefer to use your external loopers). But you obviously have a better command and understanding of your flow than I do.

hey, thanks a lot. I went for it, saved up and went for it.

Does anyone know if the EXP2 jack is TRS or TRRS? I'm trying to figure out if that jack works with a toe-switch equipped expression pedal like the SP1-L6H (which does state "only for helix rack"), the point is to have on/off switching directly on each EXP. 

Does anyone know if the EXP2 jack is TRS or TRRS? I'm trying to figure out if that jack works with a toe-switch equipped expression pedal like the SP1-L6H (which does state "only for helix rack"), the point is to have on/off switching directly on each EXP. 

The EXP2 is TS only. The toe-switch pedal won't work. You can still use EXP2 to switch blocks on and off with the auto-engage feature, though.

is auto-engage akin to switching on/off effects as the toe/heel tilt reaches a sweep span? ie. from 126-to-127 latch:on, wah:on.

Similarly employed, yes - works from a percentage of sweep parameter rather than the 'midi-style' 0-127 / 1-128 parameter, but the very same thinking otherwise.

Very handy feature.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey guys, I’m seriously considering the LT both for cost and practical reasons. I really don’t need the additional I/O and if I ever did in the future I’d make the change. However, the only thing that slightly concerns me is the 10v8 situation in stomp mode... do any LT guys have any experience in running into any limits with 2 less?

• 4 weeks later...

New on the forum here and already watched a lot of Video`s of the regular Helix.

Due to cost I tempting to get the Helix LT and use it with the 4 Cable method in combination with a Peavey 6505mh.

But also want to make a wet-dry-wet set up; I know this is possible with the standard Helix by using 2  FX loop (send).

However due the fact that the 6505 already uses a FX loop for the 4 cable method only 1 FX loop will be over by using a HElix LT.

My question: is it possible to program the Helix LT in this way that the 6505mh is connected with the 4 cable method (yes that`s possible) and the Helix LT is programmed this way that both XLR out are used for the left and right wet signals (no dry signal at all?)

So the signal of the preamp of the 6505 (with programmed wah, dist. pedals etc. in front of the amp) is copied to this path for wet signal and add stereo delay, chorus, reverb etc.etc. and panned hard left and right.

And still assigning the expression pedal to lower the level of wet effect?

I know it`s become a long story...but hopefully can you guys help me with this case.

Thanks

• 2 months later...

Hello, sorry if these are dumb questions but I am a newbie...

I am trying to decide between the Helix and the Helix LT.  I simply want to use it for 2 things:

1. Recording in Garageband on my iMac
  2. Playing in my home office through my KRK Rokit 5 desk monitors

So my question is, are there advantages to spending the extra money to buy the Helix over the LT version for what I want to do with it?  I've been searching Google and I don't see any videos for recording with the Helix LT version in Garageband.  I also want to make sure the LT will work well with my KRK monitors because that is what I play through at home (right now I'm using an audio interface and playing Overloud TH3 software with the KRK monitors).  Thank you =)

Hello, sorry if these are dumb questions but I am a newbie...

I am trying to decide between the Helix and the Helix LT.  I simply want to use it for 2 things:

• Recording in Garageband on my iMac
  • Playing in my home office through my KRK Rokit 5 desk monitors

So my question is, are there advantages to spending the extra money to buy the Helix over the LT version for what I want to do with it?  I've been searching Google and I don't see any videos for recording with the Helix LT version in Garageband.  I also want to make sure the LT will work well with my KRK monitors because that is what I play through at home (right now I'm using an audio interface and playing Overloud TH3 software with the KRK monitors).  Thank you =)

Hello “hikerronâ€,

Not really dumb questions, after all everyone has to start somewhere. If you don’t ask, you may never know.

O.K. With Helix LT - Yes you can record and even re-amp with GarageBand, or whatever DAW you choose, on your iMac. Yay! That’s good. The downside is the LT unit does not have any microphone inputs. Boo! That means you will have to deal,with recording acoustic instruments and/or vocals using something else. If you require that sort of flexibility, then the full blown Helix is the way to go. It has lots if ways to hook up to pro gear.

Re: Question 2 - Once again, yes, yes yes! Your KRK Rokit 5 monitors will be just fine. You have the option to connect them with either the XLR or the 1/4inch jack sockets on the LT model.

So, essentially, if you don’t need all the bells and whistles of the full fat Helix then go for the Helix LT. The sounds will be exactly the same no matter which you choose.

Also I would recommend a read through of the manuals for each unit, to give you a little more insight.

Find Helix LT here:

http://line6.com/data/6/0a020a3e07b158e5548ea50d4/application/pdf/Helix%20LT%20Owner's%20Manual%20-%20English%20.pdf#page56

And Helix here:

http://line6.com/data/6/0a06439c975d5787c3e351aa0/application/pdf/Helix%202.0%20Owners%20Manual%20-%20Rev%20D%20-%20English%20.pdf

Note: Scott Minchk is currently doing some videos about using GarageBand for recording with Helix (LT)

Check him out on “The Helix Channel†on YouTube - good times!

Hope this is some help.

Thank you for your reply Gear Head - it is much appreciated!  :)  Thanks for the links too - I had a look at the LT manual and it looks like the LT will do more than I will probably ever need it to do.  I didn't see an acoustic simulator in the list of effects or models - but that's no biggie. 

I'm looking forward to learning more on this forum - thanks! =) 

Thank you for your reply Gear Head - it is much appreciated!  :)  Thanks for the links too - I had a look at the LT manual and it looks like the LT will do more than I will probably ever need it to do.  I didn't see an acoustic simulator in the list of effects or models - but that's no biggie. 

I'm looking forward to learning more on this forum - thanks! =)

Hi again,

Happy to help.

Re: No acoustic simulator on board the unit. Here’s a thought for you to consider - if you decide to get the Helix LT rather than the more expensive Helix, with the money you save maybe you could buy a Variax. Digital connection for a Variax is right there on the rear panel. The cheapest Variax Standard has a bunch of acoustic models built in, both 6 and 12 string types, banjo, resonators and even a sitar. Plus you have a stack of classic electric models included. Check ‘em out.

https://line6.com/variax-modeling-guitars/variax-standard/

Have fun!

Thanks again!  One more question: have you ever ran the Helix into an amp's effects return?  Just wondering how it will integrate with my Quilter ss amp.

Hi again hikerron,

Apologies for the late response to your question. I’m not really qualified to comment on running Helix in and out of an amp. I’m studio based, so everything is direct into Logic on USB and out of the Tannoys via XLR.

Even though the Quilter amp heads are solid state units they do have send and return FX loops. My best guess is that they should work just like a tube amp patched up with the 4 cable method. There a stacks of guys on this forum using the 4CM with their stage rigs.

Here’s a thread about this subject and post #15 has a good diagram of how to hookup:

http://line6.com/support/topic/21064-alternatives-to-standard-4cm/

Hope this is some help.

Thanks again!  One more question: have you ever ran the Helix into an amp's effects return?  Just wondering how it will integrate with my Quilter ss amp.

I use my LT into the effects return of my tube amp. Helix 1/4 out to Effects return of amp. Ensure that you set the correct levels in Global settings. Ensure that cab simulation are turned off in Helix. This for using your amp as a powered speaker if you will.

The 4cm let you have a bunch of coll options. Watch this:

Hope this helps ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Line6Tony unpinned and locked this topic