Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Just to be sure: No Relay receiver?

katerlouis

Sorry if this may be trivial; but I just want to be sure:

Am I right with my fears, that the Helix does not have a built in relay-receiver like the Spider V amps do?

If so: Why?!! And is there any chance to get this in a software update later on? (probably a dumb question, but I'm grasping for straws here :X)

It is not just an extra 100 bugs I could save; but less equipment to travel with; no need for an extra power plug socket.. another mini guitar cable...

Please, tell me I'm wrong :X

As to why, well... it would cost extra and it's a little short-sighted in a way. You pick one receiver that works with G30 and G50 but maybe it doesn't work with G55 or G10. Or maybe they come out with something newer down the road. Sure, you're not required to use it, but it's a feature that would up the price of the unit by at least $100, not add any value for a lot of folks (who either don't want to go wireless or can't because they use Variax like me), and could get outdated anyway.

Okay, thanks. 

Final questions:

1) Can we expect a Helix mark II in the near future? (like Is there a somewhat softly "predictable hardware-update-circle" line6 follows?)

2) What's your guess regarding a built-in receiver for a possible Helix II?

Sorry if this may be trivial; but I just want to be sure:

Am I right with my fears, that the Helix does not have a built in relay-receiver like the Spider V amps do?

If so: Why?!! And is there any chance to get this in a software update later on? (probably a dumb question, but I'm grasping for straws here :X)

It is not just an extra 100 bugs I could save; but less equipment to travel with; no need for an extra power plug socket.. another mini guitar cable...

Please, tell me I'm wrong :X

its not a software update, it would required hardware putting into the case.

People paying $1200 for a pro level processor, arent using $100 entry level wireless systems, if they put the reciever in most of the potential users woudnt use it unless it was a high end receiver, then in that case they already amkes and market those, most users dont want everything in one box, the spider amps arent aimed at pro use

There will almost certainly be a "next thing" at some point. But I think that since Helix shipped in 2015, that the earliest you will see whatever is next is after the R&D has paid off and the R&D for the next thing (might be happening now for all we know) is ready, and I bet that is not before 2021 at the earliest.

There will never be a wireless receiver built into a pro product though, that's my prediction. Too many pros would not buy it JUST because of that. They want to do their own thing with regard to wireless.

• Upvote 1

its not a software update, it would required hardware putting into the case.

People paying $1200 for a pro level processor, arent using $100 entry level wireless systems, if they put the reciever in most of the potential users woudnt use it unless it was a high end receiver, then in that case they already amkes and market those, most users dont want everything in one box, the spider amps arent aimed at pro use

Actually, the Line 6 G10 works quite well. I use is all the time with the Helix. If I was a touring musician I would opt for something more robust. Other than that, it is a fantastic little unit. I added dedicated space in my case for it. 

post-2402848-0-24928000-1491395244_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Actually, the Line 6 G10 works quite well. I use is all the time with the Helix. If I was a touring musician I would opt for something more robust. Other than that, it is a fantastic little unit. I added dedicated space in my case for it. 

no pro I've ever known would use the G10 live. None. range too small.

Putting wireless into a piece of pro gear like this will never happen. Adding wireless to an amp is a very amateur feature anyway (a GOOD one for amateurs, btw).

Never gonna happen.

• Upvote 1

no pro I've ever known would use the G10 live. None. range too small.

Agreed, I get latency when I get out to about 50', cuts out completely at about 120' line of sight. I am not a touring guy, so no problems. Works very well for my needs. 

I mean, I am a pro in that I get paid to play gigs. I use the G10 live. I have no need to move more than 10-20' from my receiver - partly because we play small venues and partly because I don't move much in general. If I was playing arenas, I would probably get something else, if only because I'm pretty sure I could afford it by then. TBH, though, the G10 has less drop outs than Shure's digital wireless ever did for me.

Okay, thanks.

Final questions:

1) Can we expect a Helix mark II in the near future? (like Is there a somewhat softly "predictable hardware-update-circle" line6 follows?)

2) What's your guess regarding a built-in receiver for a possible Helix II?

1) There will always be new gear. Tube amps have remained essential unchanged for decades, but this stuff will never be like that. When is anybody's guess...L6 is notoriously tight- lipped about it anyway, so blind guessing is all we've got. Plus, if you ask 5 people what "near future" means, you'll get 5 different answers.

2) I seriously doubt it for the same reasons already mentioned above.

During the 80s I recall some folks actually building wireless units into guitars. That worked so well that they do it all the time now... (sarcasm alert).

that's why we better never see any wireless receivers built into pro gear.

1) There will always be new gear. Tube amps have remained essential unchanged for decades, but this stuff will never be like that. When is anybody's guess...L6 is notoriously tight- lipped about it anyway, so blind guessing is all we've got. Plus, if you ask 5 people what "near future" means, you'll get 5 different answers.

2) I seriously doubt it for the same reasons already mentioned above.

DI and several other employees have said the current product has room for expansion for a long time to come.  I can't imagine a newer hardware version for at least 2 years, very likely longer than that.

At the core of things is also that having a wireless receiver inside the unit adds physical bulk and a risk of crosstalk/interference with other internal components, so there is a potential for radio noise coming through. Much, much better to have your wireless gear physically separate.

Agreed, I get latency when I get out to about 50', cuts out completely at about 120' line of sight. I am not a touring guy, so no problems. Works very well for my needs. 

I'd imagine that unless you're also using wireless in-ears, the latency is probably just due to distance and the speed of sound (about 1' per millisecond) rather than the wireless rig. (Radio waves move at the speed of light, after all)

Also... 120' being too small of a range? I guess if you're Hotblack Desiato, maybe...

• Upvote 1

I'd imagine that unless you're also using wireless in-ears, the latency is probably just due to distance and the speed of sound (about 1' per millisecond) rather than the wireless rig. (Radio waves move at the speed of light, after all)

Also... 120' being too small of a range? I guess if you're Hotblack Desiato, maybe...

I believe this is correct. It could technically be due to the system, but I suspect that you will encounter this with any wireless system unless you use in-ears.