Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

M9 Power Requirements AC vs DC

bobecus

Starting a new pedalboard based around an M9 and some 9v DC pedals. Realized that the M9 runs on AC rather than D.C. Want to use a single voodoo power supply. This is what The tech people at Voodoo are telling me,

"In fact, M9 can power with DC too (but not M13) and as suggested:

To power your M9 use a Current Doubler Adapter, part# PPAP in two 9VDC high current capacity (400mA) outputs with one of the all black (standard polarity) cables supplied."

I can't imagine powering an AC pedal with DC power. Does this sound right?

I don't think the Voodoo Labs 2plus would work. I've found conflicting info on the actual mA draw for the M9 (between 1100-2000mA), but being a digital pedal it will definitely have a high mA draw. Digital pedals need the correct amount of power or they will not function properly.

Yeah, the M9 is definitely a high current pedal. I've been running mine using two of the outputs from a Strymon Ojai power supply. Each of those outputs is 500mA. I would say that is probably the minimum you'd want - a total of 1000mA.

• Upvote 1

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Do not use anything other than the specified supply. 

@ mylescdavis, :: "Does the M9 have enough voltage regulation to use a 12v supply?" ---

No it doesn't. Use only the specified Line 6 supply or the Voodoo Labs distributor. 

Edited by psarkissian
Further clarification, after further recent queries.

• 4 months later...

Just to share my experience, I was able to run M9 with a 9VAC 400mA (3.6VA) power adapter for about 10 min, then the transformer in the power adapter would heat up and fail to deliver required current, rendering the LCD screen fade into blank with no legible letters but the colored light. I took the transformer out of the adapter, and did the same with another power adapter, and wired  them in parallel to produce 800mA, then M9 continued to wok all day. The transformers heated to a modest temperature but not up to the point of failure.

So, I'd assume the unit requires more than 800mA power supply. I hope this helps.

• 5 months later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 1 year later...

1Spot daisy chain

I was planning to use a 1Spot supply that puts out 1700 mA and daisy chaining (using an adaptor for the plug size of the M9).

It will also be powering my Boss drum machine as well as my TC electronics Harmony Singer. Both of those draw pretty low amounts of current so I'm guessing I'm OK. Do you agree?

Larry

• 1 year later...