Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Running Helix with 2 valve amps or 1 amp and 1 FRFR

keirmc

Before buying my Helix I was running a large board into two amps.

I know I can easily run the helix into 2 frfr speakers but I was wondering if I can use it into two amps without any issues obviously just as a pedalboard / no amp models. Can the Helix flip the phase of one of its outputs?

If I decided to sell one of my amps would it be possible to combine on amp and one FRFR speaker? Would I have phase issues here?

I currently blend a fender and vox AC30 but it would be cool to keep the fender as a base tone and add a vox or a Marshall or whatever other amp I fancy to that mix via the helix.

Thanks

Good question on phase.  I've never run into that as a problem though.  I run one FRFR and a tube amp.  Never had any type of phase issue.

I run a small tube amp and an alto 210 or 212.  Here is the kicker though-I do not run everything through both.  I typically run volume, wah, compressor, pre-amp, amp block, eq, reverb to the tube amp through send 1.  The path continues along, includes the previously mentioned and adds modulation effects, delays, cab block to FRFR.  This way I have dirt and reverb in one send, dirt reverb modulation, delay in the other.  Makes for a nice full sound.  When I play live I mic the tube amp to one channel on the board, and either pull direct out of the alto, or direct out of the helix to another channel on the board.

I also run a separate path (2) for acoustic guitar for another player in the band.  That goes direct to FRFR/board. 

After you have Split the Signal Path, Helix's Merge Block (Knob 5 Parameter) allows reversal of Signal Path B's Polarity, should you wish to Invert it's Phase where it converges back with Path A.

See Helix 2.0 User Guide Rev D PDF Page 31.

I do not know of another place where Helix offers a Phase reversal parameter.

After you have Split the Signal Path, Helix's Merge Block (Knob 5 Parameter) allows reversal of Signal Path B's Polarity, should you wish to Invert it's Phase where it converges back with Path A.

See Helix 2.0 User Guide Rev D PDF Page 31.

I do not know of another place where Helix offers a Phase reversal parameter.

Great thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 4/5/2017 at 8:14 AM, taylorbeats said:

Good question on phase.  I've never run into that as a problem though.  I run one FRFR and a tube amp.  Never had any type of phase issue.

I run a small tube amp and an alto 210 or 212.  Here is the kicker though-I do not run everything through both.  I typically run volume, wah, compressor, pre-amp, amp block, eq, reverb to the tube amp through send 1.  The path continues along, includes the previously mentioned and adds modulation effects, delays, cab block to FRFR.  This way I have dirt and reverb in one send, dirt reverb modulation, delay in the other.  Makes for a nice full sound.  When I play live I mic the tube amp to one channel on the board, and either pull direct out of the alto, or direct out of the helix to another channel on the board.

I also run a separate path (2) for acoustic guitar for another player in the band.  That goes direct to FRFR/board. 

Thanks for the info, but any chance you could provide a bit more detail?  Yours is the closest post I've seen anywhere that addresses a simple wet/dry solution with 2 tube amps.  What cabling are you using?  What is your signal path?  How are you splitting/merging?  To quote the Necromonger Lord Commander from The Chronicles of Riddick, "These are the things I need to know!".    :)