Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix No-Boot w/ ":-28" Problem

ozanerkal

Hi everyone,

I just got my helix (second hand, like new)

Most of the time, no problems and I'm also very satisfied with my tone so far. But sometimes it just won't boot.

The boot screen acts normal, with the moving spirals etc., but it doesn't disappear and the home screen doesn't come.

Added to that, the top left of the display reads ":-28" in red characters. (See the Image attached)

I believe I saw this happen with FW 2.10 which was loaded when I bought it. Now I'm on 2.12 and I still have it.

Anyone else having this?

I mean it's no big deal as it's not happening all the time, but if it's a sign of something important, I should solve this problem right?

Thanks

post-1155800-0-22743500-1491379305_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Anyone else having this?

I mean it's no big deal as it's not happening all the time, but if it's a sign of something important, I should solve this problem right?

Personally not seen that glitch before, but from you post I guess this is an intermittent problem?

With something like this the usual suggestions would be to re-flash the firmware and reset the globals.

This may seem obvious but have you run through all various reset options using the foot switches?

If not give them a try.

https://helixhelp.com/reset-options/

Hope this helps, good luck.

• 1 month later...

I have a new Helix Floor, with v2.210, and I've experienced the same thing (frozen boot with the -28 code on the screen. I has now happened twice (at gigs!). Each time, I turned it back off and back on again, and it came up normally, but I'm concerned.

Would like to know what's wrong.

Thanks

Mine freezes on startup quite a bit, not noticed the -28. I will look closer next time.

Mine freezes on startup a little bit. Maybe twice in the last 6 months. Turning it on and off fixes it. But it does worry me a little.

I had this problem when I first tried to update to 2.0. I never received a satisfactory response other than it was a significant error message. Ultimately I had to send the Helix back to Line 6 and they replaced the motherboard. I think a power surge at church may have contributed to the problem.

I had this happen twice within the first two weeks of owning the LT. I opened a ticket and was instructed to put the Helix in an "update mode" and reload the current firmware. I haven't had this exact issue since. I have had it freeze once upon power up but no ":-28" Holding down 6 and 12 upon boot puts it into update mode. Maybe this'll help someone.

• 9 months later...

I also had this happen 3 or 4 times when I first bought the helix., same red 28 on screen and a boot up that just did not move beyond the first screen. it all happened over a period of a few days, switching it on-off then on-off again cured the problem. then after that it went back to normal, until I updated it to firmware 2, then it started crashing while I was mid way through playing, it only happened twice, I updated the firmware again and that cured the problem, that would have been really bad if it was at a gig.moving on to the present update 2.5 I have to turn it on- off and on-off again every time I use the helix now. updated firmware to 2.53 same problem still happening. I have opened up a ticket now, see where this takes me. 

• 4 months later...

Hi,

I have the same problem with my helix. I just bought it new about a week ago with the 2.2 firmware and it did not boot up. After turning it off and on again it worked fine. After I updated it to the 2.6 firmware but booting problem remained. I sent in a ticket so I will follow up on what happened after I got an answer.

• 2 weeks later...

Meetoo.

After 14 months without problems and all firmware updates made, the error slowly arrived.

When booting it was frozen, so I just restarted and no problem

but this happened more  and more even over several FW updates.

Then, one time the error -28 appeared in red letters.

After that I could boot again as before but I had to repeat the boot procedure more often to pass the boot screen.

Then, even it was passing the boot screen it was stopping after 5-10 minutes: no reaction and sometimes no sound at all.

Problem was evolving...so might  be a hardware problem....

I was sending it back to Thomann (seller from Germany), they sent it to line6 service,

Now I have to wait without a Helix :-(

Thomann said it will take 2-3 weeks ... let’s see when I get my Helix back...

Hope that they will find the error.

Sheesh.... I was getting ready to update mine, I'm a few or so updates behind. but reading this.... I don't wanna be setting up and have any issues.

She's pretty bullet proof right now, I read the forum for a month or so looking for these before attempting an update (got screwed before and didn't realize the faults until mid set... Never. Again.)

Guess I'll wait. Lol

• 5 months later...

I bought my Helix LT last july. Not a single issue with it until last saturday, when it froze in the middle of a gig. Turning off and on again didn't work, as I was getting the : -28 message in the top left corner. Have been trying to make the helix work since then. After so many ons and offs, only one time it started correctly, but froze just after seconds. I don't understand why this problem just appeared, I did not touched anything software-related in months (only little changes of volume, gains, etc.) and only tweaked the exp pedal to be a little bit softer, but i don't think that might be the problem.

It is a pity that nobody who was having this issue has come back as promised to update the thread. Did anyone get a satisfactory resolution? It is very disconcerting that this issue which was first reported in 2017 by the OP, has now been reported by a new member just 17 hours ago. 

I was hoping to buy a Helix soon. Now, maybe not.

I have had this happen on occasion.  I have found that using the official power cord (or a very high quality power cord) that came with the Helix solves the issue.  Every time it happened I somehow was powering the unit with a power cable from another manufacturer (specifically Alto). 

I have just started seeing the dreaded ":-28" of death message.  I have updated to 2.71 but when I turn off and on still stuck.

I luckily was able to get it to boot once after playing with the LED light Fun mode and export my setlist because that would have been hours of work lost.  I must have been so lucky because the light show trick no longer works.  All other modes here work for 2/3 seconds in that I'll see a message confirming that I've booted in the different mode but then :-28 will appear top left.

The moment the pedal went like this I think I may have pressed a pedal to change something and then I just got this constant high pitch tone.  I couldn't even stop it with the volume nob.  I had to power it off.  Hasn't been right since.

• 3 months later...

Hello friends

I have the same problem as you with: -28,

I think that with the price and quality that supposedly this type of tool should have, it should not have this type of failures that apparently is viral

I propose a major complaint to the manufacturer, so that it deals with and takes care of its responsibility,

thanks and best regards

• 3 weeks later...

Hi folks, the same happened for me today. First, the HELIX froze, then I tried to start it twice and got the ":-28" two times. Now on the Helix are running at the fourth attempt. This has never happened for me before.

hello  my friends.

last week the same thing happened to me in a gig and still hasn't booted up, no matter what i do,

does anyone had any feedback on how to deal with this problem cause my unit is useless at this point and the infamous :-28 (in red) it's still on the upper left corner of the unit's screen, please help.

3 hours ago, tonyalmont said:

hello  my friends.

last week the same thing happened to me in a gig and still hasn't booted up, no matter what i do,

does anyone had any feedback on how to deal with this problem cause my unit is useless at this point and the infamous :-28 (in red) it's still on the upper left corner of the unit's screen, please help.

See comments below.

43 minutes ago, j_hotch said:

I would do a complete factory reset: 

https://helixhelp.com/manuals/helix/resetOptions.html#helix-floor-lt

If you are concerned about saving your IRs or presets do a backup first. Then after the reset, reimport them.

Hi,

As I understand it, the feedback from people who raised a support ticket regarding this issue, is -  you should restart your Helix LT while holding down footswitches 6 & 12. This puts the unit into “Safe Boot” or “Update” mode and from there you should be able to re-install the latest firmware.

The thing is, I get the distinct impression that most of the people on here are asking for a fix out of pure desperation after having tried all the usual reset routines.

Let us hope that anyone suffering this fault contacts Line 6 customer support and make them aware that this is an ongoing issue.

4 hours ago, j_hotch said:

I actually recommended using footswitches 9 & 10 to reset setlists to factory, perform a global reset and clear IRs.  This is more extensive than the option you mentioned above.  Try it!

https://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/articles/resetting-helix-globals-loading-the-newest-factory-presets/

Hi,

Yes, I’m fully aware of what that combination of switches achieve and yes, I have tried it on many occasions, but thanks for the tip!

The reason I mentioned 6 & 12, was because I was re-stating something that has previously been known to work.

I actually refer people to the full list of reset options available quite frequently on these threads - as they do come up a lot.

For your entertainment here is the list of button presses and what they do - enjoy!

LED light Fun

3 & 4 

Test Mode

5 & 6

Global reset

7 & 8

Reset setlists to factory, Keep IRs

8 & 9

Reset setlists to factory, Clear IRs

9 & 10

Reset setlists to factory, Global reset, Clear IRs

10 & 11

Upgrades existing presets to latest format

11 & 12

Clear current preset

5 & 12

Clear setlists, clear IRs, Return system settings to default

6 & 12

Safe boot mode

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

Hi!

I just encountered the :-28 Error. I tried the following so solve the Problem:

- Reboot multiple times

- Updated firmware (using the update mode) from 2.71 to 2.82

- Some of the reset modes (globals, presets etc.) but the :-28 seems to stop booting before that really happens

The Error persists and I cannot use the Helix. :/

16 hours ago, Felv said:

Hi!

I just encountered the :-28 Error. I tried the following so solve the Problem:

- Reboot multiple times

- Updated firmware (using the update mode) from 2.71 to 2.82

- Some of the reset modes (globals, presets etc.) but the :-28 seems to stop booting before that really happens

The Error persists and I cannot use the Helix. :/

Hi,

Your post is not very clear about what is happening exactly. You say that you have “just encountered the :- 28 Error, without explaining events leading up to this and it is rather confusing.

Then you continue with “Reboot multiple times”. I guess that means you simply turned off the power and then turned it back on - without holding down any of the foot switch combinations. O.K.fine, but then you say that you “Updated firmware (using the update mode) from 2.71 to 2.82” Now that is really confusing, because if the unit was failing to boot with a :-28 Error how was it possible to install the updated firmware? Then your final comment is very difficult to understand and I cannot figure out if you mean that after the firmware update your Helix fails to boot to a state where you can perform a factory reset.

In order for anyone to help with issues like this you need to supply as much information as possible. Although, I fully understand if English is not your first language, then technical problems can be difficult to explain clearly.

It would appear that all the possible solutions, known to members of this forum, have been posted in the thread above. If none of these have worked for you then the best thing to do is to raise a ticket with Line 6 customer support and maybe they can advise you how to proceed.

I hope this makes sense/helps.

• 4 months later...

I realize most of this thread is old.  I just bought a used Helix Rack.  It was on a very old firmware -- I think 1.0.65.  I upgraded to 2.92, which presented problems of their own.  Having worked through it, I had used the Rack for several days without issue.  I left it on overnight, and it had dropped connection to the computer.  When I rebooted, it had the -28 error in the upper lefthand of the screen.  I tried rebooting.  I tried all the reset modes, but only Update Mode worked.  I was able to downgrade and upgrade fine, but every reboot had the error (went down to 1.9 and 2.8, and 2.90 and 2.91 and back to 2.92, and probably a couple of others).  I called Line 6, and they tried running through some of the resets without luck.  

They finally opened an RMA and I am told replaced the DSP board.  Glad it's repaired, back and working again. 

• Upvote 1

• 3 months later...

Guys I just bought brand new Helix and I have same problem. With the -28 top left of the screen. 
I did managed to update the firmware from version 2.30 to 2.70 by using 6&12 switch. Still I can’t use it. Need help from you guys pls.

7 hours ago, FilCS said:

Need help from you guys pls

Hi,

Well, if you need more help from users here, the best thing you can do is give as much information as possible about what computer and OS you are using and EXACTLY what you were doing before the error occurred.

You say that you managed to update from 2.30 to 2.70, but it's not exactly clear what stage you are at and what you are trying to do? I would imagine that you are trying to get your hardware up to v2.92, but you are now stuck? is this correct?

You must help us to help you. Hope this makes sense

7 hours ago, datacommando said:

Hi,

Well, if you need more help from users here, the best thing you can do is give as much information as possible about what computer and OS you are using and EXACTLY what you were doing before the error occurred.

You say that you managed to update from 2.30 to 2.70, but it's not exactly clear what stage you are at and what you are trying to do? I would imagine that you are trying to get your hardware up to v2.92, but you are now stuck? is this correct?

You must help us to help you. Hope this makes sens

the problem is after I switch on, it stuck on the loading page. I removed the usb cable and turn it on again, same thing is happening. It stuck on the loading page. 

23 hours ago, FilCS said:

the problem is after I switch on, it stuck on the loading page. I removed the usb cable and turn it on again, same thing is happening. It stuck on the loading page. 

Hello, once again,

You still haven’t said what your computer and Operating System is, and but let’s try this.

First go to the "DOWNLOADS" menu at the top of this page and from  "-ALL HARDWARE-" select Helix, then leave the "-ALL SOFTWARE-" as it is, now select your PC/Mac OS from under the "-ALL OS-" tab, then click “GO”.  From the next page you can select HX Edit 2.92 for your Helix, then below that you will also need the Firmware 2.92 Flash Memory. Now scroll right the way down the page where you will find Line 6 Updater version 1.9. 

Download all these items to your Computer.

Ensure that HX Edit is closed and that you have your Helix connected to your PC by USB cable (do not use a hub, some front USB ports on PCs act like a hub) and hold down Foot Switches 6&12  while turning the power on. (You may see a black or error screen, but keep going). 

Now, launch the Updater Utility and select "Offline Mode". Your Helix and current firmware version should now show up in the window, click on the dark green coloured band and you should now have the option to select a  local file - point it at the Flash Memory file you downloaded and let it get on with the update.

When it completes you can install the new HX Edit v.2.92 software and you should be good to go.

No guarantees are given or implied, you do this at your own risk. If it doesn’t work, raise a ticket with Customer Support.

Hope this helps/makes sense

On 11/16/2020 at 8:01 AM, datacommando said:

Hello, once again,

You still haven’t said what your computer and Operating System is, and but let’s try this.

First go to the "DOWNLOADS" menu at the top of this page and from  "-ALL HARDWARE-" select Helix, then leave the "-ALL SOFTWARE-" as it is, now select your PC/Mac OS from under the "-ALL OS-" tab, then click “GO”.  From the next page you can select HX Edit 2.92 for your Helix, then below that you will also need the Firmware 2.92 Flash Memory. Now scroll right the way down the page where you will find Line 6 Updater version 1.9. 

Download all these items to your Computer.

Ensure that HX Edit is closed and that you have your Helix connected to your PC by USB cable (do not use a hub, some front USB ports on PCs act like a hub) and hold down Foot Switches 6&12  while turning the power on. (You may see a black or error screen, but keep going). 

Now, launch the Updater Utility and select "Offline Mode". Your Helix and current firmware version should now show up in the window, click on the dark green coloured band and you should now have the option to select a  local file - point it at the Flash Memory file you downloaded and let it get on with the update.

When it completes you can install the new HX Edit v.2.92 software and you should be good to go.

No guarantees are given or implied, you do this at your own risk. If it doesn’t work, raise a ticket with Customer Support.

Hope this helps/makes sense

Hi 
I'm using both mac and windows.
Still no luck..
I already got a ticket but I got almost same response from you. 
will be bring this to the service center.. 
Thank you for your help!

19 minutes ago, FilCS said:

Hi 
I'm using both mac and windows.
Still no luck..
I already got a ticket but I got almost same response from you. 
will be bring this to the service center.. 
Thank you for your help!

Ahh! Two computers - now I see.

Sorry this fix didn’t work for you on this occasion, although sometimes it has.

Hope you manage to get back up and running quickly.

Regards

• 3 weeks later...

The same happens to me today, I'm living on Brazil and I pay a lot of money to try this gear and now I'm stuck on -28 error like you said and unfortunnately I'm living in Brazil, I can't get a new motherboard so easily. I would like to see some responses from Line6, what I have to do with a 2 thousand dollar equipament that is not working, trash away and buy a new one?

• 2 weeks later...

I managed to solve the problem: -28 rebailling the chipsets in my rack, unfortunately all the update possibilities were tried without success. I recommend it to anyone who has a Line6 assistance nearby, take it because I guarantee that in my case the software installations and cleaning did not solve it, it was necessary to do rebailling, it is not a complicated process but it is also not so simple that anyone knows how to do it, usually companies who work with gpus do this, so here's the tip, if you are lost you can do a rebailling which in my case worked very well

I would to like to join you all to force the Line6 explain to us what is this error, I'm a programmer and error codes is nothing without a description or a reference table. If exists an error code for sure exists a reference table, I want to read it. I call Line6 on phone from Brazil, a very expensive call and they don't answer my question about the main origin of this error, they just tell me to update the firmware, this is not a good answer. I've never seen an error that has no solution beyond this , this is for me, the most dangerous problem and they don't care.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 4/13/2022 at 2:48 AM, b_andrey said:

Cant believe I just paid over $1000 for this thing and It gave me this error straight out of the box.. I've owned this POS for a bit over 4 hours and I haven't been able to use it. HX edit wont even detect it ... 

Hi,

Well, you have absolutely nothing to worry about - it is covered by warranty.

Simply have it exchanged for one that does work.

Hope this helps/makes sense.