Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

IR level? Why -18db?

StruckingFuggle

When I put an IR in my signal path, it always starts at -18db. Is there a reason for this?

Where does the IR level fit in the gain stage? Is it just another volume control? Does it affect the sound of the IR? Or is it like the output volume?

I find that I have to run my 3 Sigma IRs at about -6db to replace a stock cab.

Commercially available IRs are almost always normalized to line level. The signal path through the Helix is more like instrument level, so the -18dB is set as the default level because that would make the signal through the IR block close to unity gain. Of course, you may find you need to tweak it either way for any given IR... But that's the reason.

• Upvote 3

• 3 years later...
17 hours ago, FlyteBand said:

I would have to agree, I seem to place the IRs at -10 to -8 with amps at 7.5 to 8.5 for volume. My Master Volume on helix (big knob) is at 12 oclock. This goes to soundboard for our soundman for FOH. Is this too hot a signal? 

I'm pretty sure your soundman would tell you if it was too hot.

Craig

On 4/14/2020 at 9:45 PM, FlyteBand said:

I would have to agree, I seem to place the IRs at -10 to -8 with amps at 7.5 to 8.5 for volume. My Master Volume on helix (big knob) is at 12 oclock. This goes to soundboard for our soundman for FOH. Is this too hot a signal? 

The place where most people run into gain staging problems is when they start messing around too much with volume levels in the various blocks.  The generally accepted recommendation is to try as much as possible to have the same volume output with any given block turned on or off.  Typically the only volume changes I make in a patch are on the amp models channel volume.  That allows you to maintain a more consistent output level across all your patches and not have to figure out which of the many volume possibilities you changed in a given patch.

For example I have my Master Volume disconnected from the XLR outputs, which is what I use to go to the mixing board.  By doing that I'm sending a full strength signal to the board as if I had the Master Volume turned on full.  However I also have my XLR outputs set to Mic signal level as that's what's most commonly used when sending a signal to a mixing board and generally the trim/gain on my mixing board channel is pretty consistently set at noon, or slightly less when I'm properly gain staged at the mixer.  I send my 1/4" output to my stage monitor at Line signal level.  My Master Volume (which does control the 1/4" output volume) is normally set at between 11 to 11:30 and goes through my  Yamaha DXR12 with it's gain knob set at 12 o'clock, or halfway which provides ample stage volume in an 8 piece band.  With that configuration all the various amp models I use in my patches tend to have their channel volumes set between 4.5 to around 7 at the highest.

• 2 weeks later...

I reset everything back to original settings, -18 on IRS adjusted to 12 noon for master volume. XLR out to soundboard are mic levels. This seems to work best with board, provides headroom. Im wireless so issues hitting the master by mistake, and my in ears are controlled by soundboard as well, however I have an ipad off to the side, out of view if I need to tweak. Thanks for reply and advice. It helped.