Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Pod HD500X causing crash in Reaper

Onomatopoeia

Like the title says, Windows 10 kept crashing multiple times today when I tried to record someting i Reaper. It just went to blue screen. VERY ANOYING. I´ve seen simular threads like this but without a fix. How do I fix this?

I´ve reinstalled Line 6 drivers aswell as Windows for sound. No results. The pod HD500 is my only recording interface.

• Downvote 1

a couple of things you can check/try.

remove all other USB devices you have minus the POD (printers, cameras etc...) and mouse/keyboard...could be that you need updated driver for another device or could have an incompatibility...

if this is a desktop and your are using front ports, try using rear ports (front ports are on hubs usually)

If you have a USB hub, remove it.

turn off power management on USB in device manager

make sure you have current chipset drivers for your computer

make sure you have current BIOS for your computer

make sure you video driver is current

Is your computer fairly new?

a couple of things you can check/try.

remove all other USB devices you have minus the POD (printers, cameras etc...) and mouse/keyboard...could be that you need updated driver for another device or could have an incompatibility...

if this is a desktop and your are using front ports, try using rear ports (front ports are on hubs usually)

If you have a USB hub, remove it.

turn off power management on USB in device manager

make sure you have current chipset drivers for your computer

make sure you have current BIOS for your computer

make sure you video driver is current

Is your computer fairly new?

It´s a quite new laptop and I don´t have other divices or a USB hub.

I uppdated drivers for video and audio. 

chipset drivers? BIOS?

2 things you could try:

- re-install the L6 driver as administrator..

and/or

- run Reaper in Windows 7 compatibility mode

I´ve updated the l6 driver...

How can I run Reaper in Windows 7 compability mode when I got Windows 10?

I´ve had similar problems with crash/reboot before when disconecting the Pod HD, but not like this. Now that I´m thinking of it, this is the first time I´m trying to record something with this computer.

One other thing. I hade Chrome running in the background with a Youtube video on BUT PAUSED. Might this be the issue...?

That's a great tip on the comparability mode.. definitely worth a shot IMO.

chipset and bios updates should available from the manufacturer. depending on the computer, the low level drivers that make the USB work are contained in the chipset and/or the bios. Either way, with newer computers it is pretty common for there to be a several updates within the first year. I have a Sony VAIO that is several years old but is pretty decent machine. It had Windows 8 on it when I got it and going to Windows 10 took a BIOS and chipset update that I had to wait for Sony to certify before I jumped to 10. I could have gone sooner as I know how to pull the OEM drivers and put them....I also use Reaper and have only gotten the bsod once and it was pretty recent after I first went to Win10. a couple of years now I guess.

As a matter of habit, I always disable the power management on the USB hardware. This can cause havoc on some machines...other machines have not issue. All it means is that the not all USB controllers on motherboards are created equal. open the device manager and hit the properties for your USB stuff, it's possible this is part of the issue. It does seem to be more common on laptops than desktops when it fixes the issue (my Sony is an all in one 22" tablet type like the one the always have on that Silicon Valley sitcom) I attached a image of the dialog. 

post-76460-0-69203900-1491792488_thumb.png

That's a great tip on the comparability mode.. definitely worth a shot IMO.

chipset and bios updates should available from the manufacturer. depending on the computer, the low level drivers that make the USB work are contained in the chipset and/or the bios. Either way, with newer computers it is pretty common for there to be a several updates within the first year. I have a Sony VAIO that is several years old but is pretty decent machine. It had Windows 8 on it when I got it and going to Windows 10 took a BIOS and chipset update that I had to wait for Sony to certify before I jumped to 10. I could have gone sooner as I know how to pull the OEM drivers and put them....I also use Reaper and have only gotten the bsod once and it was pretty recent after I first went to Win10. a couple of years now I guess.

As a matter of habit, I always disable the power management on the USB hardware. This can cause havoc on some machines...other machines have not issue. All it means is that the not all USB controllers on motherboards are created equal. open the device manager and hit the properties for your USB stuff, it's possible this is part of the issue. It does seem to be more common on laptops than desktops when it fixes the issue (my Sony is an all in one 22" tablet type like the one the always have on that Silicon Valley sitcom) I attached a image of the dialog. 

I tried all of that. Windows still goes to blue screen after a while...

This is a reach....Have you tried all of the USB ports on your laptop....It is possible for a laptop motherboard to have a USB hub....Usually, the left side ports are hubbed....The single right side port is usually a home run to the root controller. Again, you might have tried this....

Would you mind sharing the Make and Model# of your computer?

This is a reach....Have you tried all of the USB ports on your laptop....It is possible for a laptop motherboard to have a USB hub....Usually, the left side ports are hubbed....The single right side port is usually a home run to the root controller. Again, you might have tried this....

Would you mind sharing the Make and Model# of your computer?

The most recent crashes today has been while using one of the left USB ports (only one on the left side seem to be working with the Pod). Yesterday I tried the one the right side and had the same problem, although I havn´t tried the right side after all the updates...

My Laptop is a HP Pavilion 14-al090no (Energy Star)

I took a glance at the drivers. Is you video card an Nvidia by chance?

I don't have much left offer you on this...but here is an article with some information...video driver interactions causing issues is fairly common...On laptops, it is common for power management of some sort is usually the culprit...You could try turning power management off on the video card to see if it helps...If it does, you could try going back to an older driver...The thing that is a little article concerning nividia drivers and some things you can look at.  

Basically, you will find a few things and the basic concepts could apply to the chipset also...

http://windowsreport.com/nvidia-driver-crash-windows-10/

You can also try installing MS Fixit and see if it gleans some more information on the crash cause.

https://fix-it-center.en.softonic.com/

I took a glance at the drivers. Is you video card an Nvidia by chance?

I don't have much left offer you on this...but here is an article with some information...video driver interactions causing issues is fairly common...On laptops, it is common for power management of some sort is usually the culprit...You could try turning power management off on the video card to see if it helps...If it does, you could try going back to an older driver...The thing that is a little article concerning nividia drivers and some things you can look at.  

Basically, you will find a few things and the basic concepts could apply to the chipset also...

http://windowsreport.com/nvidia-driver-crash-windows-10/

You can also try installing MS Fixit and see if it gleans some more information on the crash cause.

https://fix-it-center.en.softonic.com/

No I do not have a Nvida video card. 

Thanks for the tips. will look into it... It´s obvious that it´s the pod hd500x that´s causing the crash since it clearly says that is that driver causing the crash in blue screen. Shouldn´t this be something for L6 to fix since it´s quite common to happen?

I just realized that I hade the laptop running on battery power (I have a really long battery time) while trying to record and getting the crashes. Might that have contributed to the problem?

Is there any information on the BSOD when it happens?  

In most cases the BSOD will leave some clues (bread crumbs) as to why the crash occurred - 

If you could capture some of the data and search on it, you might get an idea of what actually caused the crash. 

If it hasn't been recommended, I would suggest using a different USB port.  

I would also make sure you're using the latest version of Reaper - 

Make sure that you have disabled any power management of the USB ports as well. 

Did you run MS Fix it? Analyzing a crash dump is somewhat scientific. While the blue-screen will show you what crashed at the top level, it will not show you the trace to where the crash initiated. Might be worth a look? Anyway, another thing you could try is another computer if you have access to one...Basically, try to isolate if the problem is the POD or the computer...If it happens on another machine I would start to suspect maybe the USB connector has some hardware issue....

More stuff....Have you tried a different USB cable? Are the connectors clean?

It is really difficult to guess what your issue is just by text. But I I do hope you are able to fix it...

Is there any information on the BSOD when it happens?  

In most cases the BSOD will leave some clues (bread crumbs) as to why the crash occurred - 

If you could capture some of the data and search on it, you might get an idea of what actually caused the crash. 

If it hasn't been recommended, I would suggest using a different USB port.  

I would also make sure you're using the latest version of Reaper - 

Make sure that you have disabled any power management of the USB ports as well. 

I have the latest version of Reaper now (paid for). I tried all the USB ports and I have disabled any power managament linked to them.

A couple of days ago the BSODs linked to the L6 driver and the Pod HD, which I have now updated. Today I played around a bit and mangaged to use and record with reaper for a while but then I got BSOD again. I have had 2 in the last 45 min and now it says something about "Kernel Security Check Failure"...

Did you run MS Fix it? Analyzing a crash dump is somewhat scientific. While the blue-screen will show you what crashed at the top level, it will not show you the trace to where the crash initiated. Might be worth a look? Anyway, another thing you could try is another computer if you have access to one...Basically, try to isolate if the problem is the POD or the computer...If it happens on another machine I would start to suspect maybe the USB connector has some hardware issue....

More stuff....Have you tried a different USB cable? Are the connectors clean?

It is really difficult to guess what your issue is just by text. But I I do hope you are able to fix it...

MS Fix it doesn´t work. Mayby it´s because of Windows 10... The cable looks ggod and clean. I have no trouble using HD Edit or updating the device so why would it be the cable? What type of cable is it?

Also after some crashes, the output seem to get lower on my pod through headphones until a unplug/plug the power....

did you try to disable any antivirus eventually present in your pc?..

security related softwares can cause such problems in some cases

No I haven't tried that one yet..

I read a post you made in some older thread on the same issue, where You mentioned something about disable the Pod HD as the main soundcard and only use it for Reaper. How do I disable it so only Reaper Is using it? The only programs I use while connected to my laptop is Reaper and Google, for playing along to songs on YouTube (not att the same time!)

MS Fix it not working is a clue...Are you using a Normal account as opposed to administrator? I have never tried using a non-admin account...just a thought as that looks similar to security crashes I have seen before...

The different cable is just troubleshooting process. I can't read your mind and see what you see.

Have you tried a different computer? That test might save you some time in figuring out which hardware has the problem...It does sorta seem like a hardware problem...They tend to crash consistently no matter what you do....You have to elimiate one or the other because as this point you are doing the same thing over and over, expecting different results...IOW, insanity...best of luck to you.

MS Fix it not working is a clue...Are you using a Normal account as opposed to administrator? I have never tried using a non-admin account...just a thought as that looks similar to security crashes I have seen before...

The different cable is just troubleshooting process. I can't read your mind and see what you see.

Have you tried a different computer? That test might save you some time in figuring out which hardware has the problem...It does sorta seem like a hardware problem...They tend to crash consistently no matter what you do....You have to elimiate one or the other because as this point you are doing the same thing over and over, expecting different results...IOW, insanity...best of luck to you.

I don´t think that MS Fix it is working on Windows 10! There´s only one acount on my computer and I´m the admin. 

I havn´t tried another computer, but I do have acces to one and will try that....

Thanks for the help though, and yeah... this is insanity...

oh Doh...my bad...I forgot....The troubleshooter...I used the troublehshooter a few time to fix things like a wifi radio that keeps turning off on my son's computer...The troublehshooter is in Win7 also, but it's really lightweight...Looks like it all moved into the troubleshooter...

Sorry if this is a repeat of something you tried...

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/instantanswers/82306bd8-495b-098b-f39c-27bc01338a62/use-a-fix-it-tool-with-windows-10

The cable looks ggod and clean. I have no trouble using HD Edit or updating the device so why would it be the cable? What type of cable is it?

It is a standard USB cable.

I had a situation where my USB cable worked fine with Edit and was the cause of periodic BSOD using Reaper. I'm assuming it is because Edit does not need to use ASIO drivers like Reaper. Not saying the cable is the issue, but simple enough to eliminate.

Also, have you tried explicitly disabling the integrated audio and explicitly selecting the POD as the default device in Windows?

It is a standard USB cable.

I had a situation where my USB cable worked fine with Edit and was the cause of periodic BSOD using Reaper. I'm assuming it is because Edit does not need to use ASIO drivers like Reaper. Not saying the cable is the issue, but simple enough to eliminate.

Also, have you tried explicitly disabling the integrated audio and explicitly selecting the POD as the default device in Windows?

Hm might be worth to invest in a slightly longer USB cabel anyways...

No I have not tried to disable the integrated audio as the POD is automaticly set as the default device. Will check it out tomorrow!

oh Doh...my bad...I forgot....The troubleshooter...I used the troublehshooter a few time to fix things like a wifi radio that keeps turning off on my son's computer...The troublehshooter is in Win7 also, but it's really lightweight...Looks like it all moved into the troubleshooter...

Sorry if this is a repeat of something you tried...

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/instantanswers/82306bd8-495b-098b-f39c-27bc01338a62/use-a-fix-it-tool-with-windows-10

Yeah, but my pc doesn´t seem to find any problem. Thx anyways!

An update....

Right now I have tried EVERYTHING that you guys recomended and more, (except buying a new USB cable!) and I still get BSOD.... I even uninstalled my antivirus!

I really think it has something to do with the pod. After playing around in reaper for a few mins (without bsod) I saved and closed Reaper down. Then a few mins later when I unplugged the USB from the pod a got a BSOD.

Then the next time I got a BSOD was when I restarted Windows and went in to change audio settings in control panel - BSOD...

Another thing is when I have project open in Reaper, if i click on something outside Reaper (a message that mail that shows up on the right for example) the tracks in reaper shows as "offline" until I click on Reaper again...

And right now I´m jaming along to some songs on Youtube without a problem (not counting that you can get BSOD if unplugging before closing Youtube). 

Really wierd and VERY frustrating problem...

This is ridiculous Line 6...

I have had the same problem for years. It is not Reaper as it will happen also when using iTunes and Guitar Rig 4.

My laptop is 1 year old with every driver updated to the current version. It's not the memory or the cable either.

I already have a different thread from months ago. For a very short while I though it got resolved, but it's not.

Maybe to do with memory assignment conflict due to a buggy driver, something I once read online.

I hope that you have more luck than me on resolving it. Just wondering if the Helix has the same problem.

This is ridiculous Line 6...

I have had the same problem for years. It is not Reaper as it will happen also when using iTunes and Guitar Rig 4.

My laptop is 1 year old with every driver updated to the current version. It's not the memory or the cable either.

I already have a different thread from months ago. For a very short while I though it got resolved, but it's not.

Maybe to do with memory assignment conflict due to a buggy driver, something I once read online.

I hope that you have more luck than me on resolving it. Just wondering if the Helix has the same problem.

Yeah it really sucks. I have the same proplem with Audacity aswell.

I sure hope it´s the Pod´s fault in some way because I´m really thinking about selling it and getting me something better as of now. I just want to be sure it´s not the fault of my laptop so I´m in the same boat again after going through the hassle of selling and bying new gear! And I really like my tone that I´m getting now from the pod :(

Good day all!

I have been trying to win this constant battle with my HP laptop and the HD500 crashing constantly. WELL, I don't want to count my chickens yet BUT... it seems quite stable up to now.

What have I done?

1 set the screen resolution to Intel's recommended Default. This setting was previously changed to make the icons bigger.

The Intel applet does actually state that changing the resolution can give errors and even damage the chipset (why in hell it's allowed to change these settings if it can damage things is beyond me).

2 set the graphic card's Text to its default mode, in my case 125%.

3 right click the Reaper icon and select compatibility mode to run the program as administrator and tick the box above saying Disable Display scaling on High DPI.

4 Stop and disable Windows Search in Services

5 SWITCH FLIGHT MODE ON if you have this setting. It definitely contribute to my crashes, but it's not the main culprit.

If this works for your setup then happy days! Is so, create a new text file on your desktop and write the steps you took to resolve the problem, you will thank me for it.

Before taking these steps I couldn't load Reaper, Audacity, iTunes, or Guitar Rig 4 without getting the BSOD (Blue Screen Of Death).

Now I have HD Edit, Reaper, and iTunes open at the same time and working happily.

Another thing, I am using the POD's ASIO Driver within Reaper.

Let me know how it goes.

Good day all!

I have been trying to win this constant battle with my HP laptop and the HD500 crashing constantly. WELL, I don't want to count my chickens yet BUT... it seems quite stable up to now.

What have I done?

1 set the screen resolution to Intel's recommended Default. This setting was previously changed to make the icons bigger.

The Intel applet does actually state that changing the resolution can give errors and even damage the chipset (why in hell it's allowed to change these settings if it can damage things is beyond me).

2 set the graphic card's Text to its default mode, in my case 125%.

3 right click the Reaper icon and select compatibility mode to run the program as administrator and tick the box above saying Disable Display scaling on High DPI.

4 Stop and disable Windows Search in Services

5 SWITCH FLIGHT MODE ON if you have this setting. It definitely contribute to my crashes, but it's not the main culprit.

If this works for your setup then happy days! Is so, create a new text file on your desktop and write the steps you took to resolve the problem, you will thank me for it.

Before taking these steps I couldn't load Reaper, Audacity, iTunes, or Guitar Rig 4 without getting the BSOD (Blue Screen Of Death).

Now I have HD Edit, Reaper, and iTunes open at the same time and working happily.

Another thing, I am using the POD's ASIO Driver within Reaper.

Let me know how it goes.

Good tips!

I THINK I finaly got it to work (it hasn´t crashed yet)!

I did reinstall windows and followed some of the steps in the comments above. I also used this guide for optimizing Windows 10 for audio!:

https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-gb/articles/207355205-Optimising-your-PC-for-Audio-on-Windows-10 

It´s very important to turn of all the features running in the background of windows. Also, set your comp to flight mode or turn of the network card if you can!

dannedeboer

Thank you for posting the link for optimising windows10 for sound creation, the ste-by-step video is great.

I actually had done most of these tweaks in the past but not all. Also I was allowing windows to make the updates and some settings were reset to their default state, that did not help either.

I made all the adjustments seconds after my previous post and used Reaper, Edit and Workbench HD, switching and making lots of tone alteration for the JTV69. It worked flawlessly until now. Will give it a thorough test tomorrow (I mean later today) but I feel very optimistic about it now.

The laptop is now setup JUST for studio music, no more internet or Windows updates.

Cheers

Glad you are getting there!

My situation is mostly solved too, meaning that it does occasionally crash but nothing like it used to. I can get a couple of hours of use before it giving up. The Line 6 driver is definitely contributing to the problem.

Yeah your´re probably right. Check out that link for optimizing Windows for audio that I posted above!

• 1 month later...

Is there anyone who knows how to fix the BSOD problem once and for all? It's really frustrating to see his computer crash frequently. Line 6 seems to laugh at us. Several messages concerning this problem have been published. Several answers more complex than the others. Nothing clear. So, is there a solution once and for all? A really tired user who believes that line 6 laughs at him and that will never buy their products again.

Follow the video on this website and things should get better.

https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-gb/articles/207355205-Optimising-your-PC-for-Audio-on-Windows-10%C2%A0

Make sure to disable System sounds in Windows as this will crash the operating system in the event of an alert pop up box or an illegal operation. Asio driver don't like to play with another sound driver.