Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Doubler effect with helix

ZSchneidi

Hello folks,

is there a way to get a doubler effect done with the Helix ?

Like the TC Mimiq Doubler.

In some scenarios i wish for the big and rich tone from my single guitar.

Like when two guitars play the same riff. Is it currently possible to achive that ?

Thanks guys.

I like to use a stereo dual pitch block with cents 2 (or 1) set to 2.0 and delay 2 (or 1) set to 4.0ms. You can fiddle with these settings to your liking, for example on one side use a greater delay (or only delay), such as 27ms. Also mess with the V1 pan and V2 pan to further adjust the total separation.

I'm sure there are other ways to do this as well, besides a dual pitch block.

Its not ideal. but you could run two parallel amp/cabs  and put a simple delay after one of them with 100% mix, and a very short (around 18-20 ms) with 0 feedback, and it sorta works......there is probably a more convoluted way to emulate a Haas doubling effect within helix, but this is quick and dirty.

Dual Amp would be nice but i have already a pretty packed preset with all the modulation and dual Cabs etc.

So I'm already running out of DSP and free slots to do a even more complex setup.

I'm looking for a compact solution to the problem. And as far as i know dual Amp cost a lot of DSP.

I guess i will start with the pitch shift approach. If that fails i might try your delay - dual amp setting.

That would give me the best result but i guess i would run out of DSP to quick.

I use this effect a lot during jamming to get that big sound. I get it using the dual stereo delay (it's near the top of the delay lsit - I might have the exact name wrong). I'd have to look at settings, but I think I have the left or right delay set to zero and the other one set to about 30 ms. Then pan the sound hard right and hard left in the delay settings. I don't think I adjust anything else. And turn off chorus if you want. The default seems to be on. If you need all the specific settings I use, let me know and I'll send them. This works great and is really simple. And, of course, I learned it from someone else on this forum!

Dual Amp would be nice but i have already a pretty packed preset with all the modulation and dual Cabs etc.

So I'm already running out of DSP and free slots to do a even more complex setup.

I'm looking for a compact solution to the problem. And as far as i know dual Amp cost a lot of DSP.

I guess i will start with the pitch shift approach. If that fails i might try your delay - dual amp setting.

That would give me the best result but i guess i would run out of DSP to quick.

Sounds like a TC Mimiq in a loop may be your best solution then...

I tried your suggested approaches and i got the idea behind them but to me those sound way to digital and i guess TC put alot of afford into the

Mimiq so it won't be so easy to simulate that effect.

I guess the helix needs specific algorithms for that kind of task.

I think i will put that request on the line6 ideascale.

edit:

NVM that one already exist.

Thanks anyways guys you guys are pretty helpful.

Make sure you pan the signals full left and right, and set mix to100%.'

It only works in stereo.  In mono it causes phase issues and comb filtering.  Even if in stereo and the 2 speakers are too close, to me phase becomes an issue.

Does the mimic do well in mono, or is it stereo only?

I dont own the mimiq so i have no comparison just telling from reviews that the sound it produces

seems way more realistic.

I had alot of phase issues as well. My monitors as max. 1 m away from each other dont know if that might cause problems too.

Maybe i need to put more time to find a setting that may do the job but i still think that this kind of effect needs a bit more

mojo then just splitting one signal into two different patchs. It seem to change the original signal slightly.

• 3 years later...
On 4/10/2017 at 7:05 PM, Joepeggio said:

Does the mimic do well in mono, or is it stereo only?

In mono the Mimiq sounds more like a slapback echo with a short delay and vibrato, but the delay and vibrato change randomly a tiny amount. They put a lot of work into the algorithms driving it, it's not just a LFO sweeping a little bit.

A friend of mine has one on his board he uses with his AX8, and the Mimiq sounds amazing.

The problem with all these effects in a live setting is that they are not mono compatible. If you get an engineer who pans you less than full width, or a PA with wiring issues, your sound collapses.

I have a Mimiq and it sounds great with 1 dub in stereo, but mono is lessening the quality of sound for me.