Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Retrofitting Variax 500 with Li-Ion battery pack. Possible?

boner

I have a Variax 500. Being lefthanded, getting a newer Variax isn't possible. But I look at all the new Variax's available, and I'm jealous of the fact that they don't require the VDI cable to power the guitar. They have rechargeable lithium ion batteries. I realize the battery housing is different, but in theory, is there any reason why a new Variax power supply couldn't somehow be retrofitted into a Variax 500?

You could get your own Li battery and install it but you would not have the necessary low voltage protection for the battery.  I thought of doing this as I use lots of Lipo batteries for my RC hobby but I never bothered since I use the VDI cable anyway most of the time.  

I definitely don't want to fry the guts! I use mine 100% of the time with the VDI cable too into my Vetta II. If I could run it off batteries, I would be able to use any amp. I have the footswitch and the cable it shipped with, so I know I could use that, but the Li battery would just make it even easier.

Different volts, current draw is optimized for the standard alkaline batteries.

Lithium Ion current draw would be different.

Current and voltage controls on VDI are consistent among all models of Variax,

battery systems are different and not cross compatible.