Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Variax JTV69 Plexi/Clean/Acoustic

jshoenfelt

I am looking to do a Plexi/Clean/Acoustic patch with my JTV69 using snapshots.  Has anyone ever attempted this?

Yes it can be done. You'll definitely need to use two paths. I can't go into detail as it would take a very long time and I would need my Helix in front of me, which it is not. Basically put the Plexi/Clean on one path and the acoustic on the other path would be one way to do it. You would then need to use three snapshots (obviously).

• Upvote 1

I've done it with a single path.  Just need to turn off amps and dirt effects when you switch to acoustic.  You don't want to use IR's with the acoustic models, the IR is built into the guitar... you may want to add a gain or mic pre when you switch to the acoustic model.  You'll want to use the Variax in selection (as opposed to Multi) so you can control the Variax model per snapshot.  Though Multi might work, could just get confusing...

If you want to mix mags and modeling, then you would want two paths so you can use two different in's so you could have an ampless path for an acoustic model, and an amped path for the magnetic signal.

• Upvote 1

Yes you can do it with one path but I've found that I use a completely different set of blocks for my Variax acoustics. Just know that both options are available. The mag/Variax combination is very cool by the way. I use it for my Stairway to Heaven patch so I have an acoustic and electric at the same time.

• Upvote 1

You can easily do that with one patch. ALL my patches are two-voice, and always have a clean, gritty, and more gritty electric and an acoustic I can either switch to or layer on at any moment.

Sorry I mispelled. I meant one path, not patch. I did correct my post.

I wasn't. My suggestion was to use two paths. See post #2. And it was just a suggestion. Although four paths for three different sounds seems like overkill. ;) :D

I'm sure it can be, but since it's there...

...use 1a, 1b, 2a and 2b for virtually all my patches and use 3 EXPs to dial in different acoustic, electric, and schmaltz-ey synth pad sounds independently.

I'm sure it can be, but since it's there...

...use 1a, 1b, 2a and 2b for virtually all my patches and use 3 EXPs to dial in different acoustic, electric, and schmaltz-ey synth pad sounds independently.

I would probably do that but I like to go stereo so I generally have only two paths. That's where my head was.

Each path is stereo. You can go stereo the way I do it, too.

Yes but I actually often use two cabs/IRs panned left and right as well as different FX in each path. I'm not going to explain myself any further. Just suffice to say I often can't utilize all 4 paths.

For switching between electric and acoustic tones in the same song, I'd setup the patch for the most predominant instrument, then use snapshots to reconfigure the blocks for each instrument. As long as you have an EQ somewhere in the patch, you can use a snapshot to change the EQ settings for acoustic guitar and turn off amp and cab/IR blocks. You should be able to use the same back of the amp effects: chorus or other mods, delay and reverb with either instrument. That might not be a perfect patch for acoustic guitar, but it should suffice for part of a song. When changing instruments for the whole song, I just use a different patch.

• Upvote 1