Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Stop the Looper recording at perfect moment?

thorneven

I will research this topic by Googling, but I thought I'd see what you fine, peer guitarists have to offer.

I just started playing around with the Looper and the thing I find infuriating is, while recording, hitting FS6 at just the right moment so that when I play the loop, the loop ends perfectly on time - no 32nd notes (or typically longer) of space between the last note of the end of the loop and the 1st note of the start of the loop.  If I try 10 times, 9 times I won't get it right.  Is there a trick to it, or is it really trial and error?  Also I find that the pedal seems to cut off just a minute piece of my last note of the loop.

Thanks for the tips and happy playing !

Unfortunately there's no hidden secret. Your tap timing needs to be precise. The looper has no concept of tempo. It simply starts and stops recording at your foot's command. Practice makes perfect.

In my experience the looper is good for practicing solos on your own but not practical for live play. Especially if you need to change your tone / preset for the solo.

If you want to use a looper for gigging you are better off to get a dedicated looper pedal and put it in your FX loop.

I will research this topic by Googling, but I thought I'd see what you fine, peer guitarists have to offer.

I just started playing around with the Looper and the thing I find infuriating is, while recording, hitting FS6 at just the right moment so that when I play the loop, the loop ends perfectly on time - no 32nd notes (or typically longer) of space between the last note of the end of the loop and the 1st note of the start of the loop. If I try 10 times, 9 times I won't get it right. Is there a trick to it, or is it really trial and error? Also I find that the pedal seems to cut off just a minute piece of my last note of the loop.

Thanks for the tips and happy playing !

If it makes you feel any better, it drives me batty too. If I need to loop something to play over, I record it on my DAW and play along with the playback. Never fails.

• Upvote 1

Unfortunately there's no hidden secret. Your tap timing needs to be precise. The looper has no concept of tempo. It simply starts and stops recording at your foot's command. Practice makes perfect.

In my experience the looper is good for practicing solos on your own but not practical for live play. Especially if you need to change your tone / preset for the solo.

If you want to use a looper for gigging you are better off to get a dedicated looper pedal and put it in your FX loop.

I was thinking of doing just that - during one of my extended solos, I record a loop and then jam with it.  Suddenly a band with 2 guitarists now has 3 !  I know doing so will be complicated by the band's not staying on the beat, but it will be fun trying !

It is fun trying!! I practiced doing that for a while but never could get the foot-tapping right for looping for a rhythm tone background, changing patches, solo'ing, then getting back to the rhythm patch without losing the tempo or phrases. I never was brave enough to take it out of the practice room.

I hope you have more luck (skill, actually) than I in that regard. Seems I can't walk and chew gum at the same time!

I have similar problems with the looper but I can say it's gets a bit easier with some time on it. In full band situation unless your drummer and band is really really good with timing I don't think it's possible. Mostly I've seen loopers used by solo or duo acts where so that it become much easier to stay in time with yourself. I image if you want to use it in full band situation it would almost be required for the drummer to be listening to click over in-ears so that the timing stays perfect. Personally I never use it on stage but I play with in rehearsals sometimes so I can take a drink over where I play a repetitive rhythm part. 

I enjoy using the looper to do little flamenco tracks ala "Les Paul" Black box stacking putting in percussion, bass, rhythm parts etc...But it's just for noodling...I mostly use the looper in PRE so I can tweak my tones without having to play...

Specific to this post - The great fantastic looper that technology gives still requires human interaction, which is why it is so hard to get right. The tech is perfect. We, however, are Corky's. Rendering the looper pointless.  

But it applies to the the entire device - How great are these Marshall models. Yet, some users complain about their tone because they are inept at dialing in tone. 

Yeah but Line6 didn't go out of their way to make it easy either.  Presets that suck, EQ in percentage, default input settings that overdrive and clip.  It took me a while to get it dialed in and I've been a musician for a long time, and my background is computer engineering.  Yep there's some blame on the user but plenty of blame on Line6 too.