Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Can the TT be used as a quality PC audio interface?

amheck

Hi all, I was interested in using my PC to play and maybe record music.  Thinking about amp sims like Guitar Rig, Amplitube, or Bias FX.  When doing some research, it seems the Scarlett series of USB audio interfaces are highly recommended.  But I wondered, can the Amplify TT act as a USB audio interface to these programs with minimal delay?

• 2 weeks later...

Although I have not tried it, the specs would indicate that this is possible.  Almost all the multi-effect units that I have tried can do this. (NEXUS from Digitech - Zoom Edit & Share from ZOOM - Insider from Blackstar - FUSE from Fender - et. al.

You just have to go into your DAW and change the audio driver and then connect you monitors to the Amplifi device.

• 2 weeks later...

you can use it as interface, but it will send the processed signal only - i.e. you don't get direct input along with it.So if you want to record to other software amp-simulation, you need to turn amp and cabinet simulation off in the Amplifi TT

Regarding minimal delay: It's definitely capable of it, but you might need to tell your system to use the correct parameters/buffers.

Make sure you have the latest firmware though (old firmware didn't appear as standard audio interface)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

I'm bummed, we have an Amplifi here at the school and there seems to be no way to break the signal from the guitar input to the amp output. No matter what you do, you will have the original guitar and FX chain running in parallel with whatever comes out of the computer. I was hoping on using the Amplifi as both an FRFR for live and an interface. 

Then again, the thing not having a line out kind of wrecks it for that purpose as well.

Any idea if the firehawk has a way to do this? The Yamaha THR-10 does it perfectly, and has a real option to bypass everything and record the guitar with no processing, but its like 10 watts, nowhere near enough for the stage

Sorry, I have a hard time understanding what you're trying to say.

This thread is about using the Amplifi as an audio interface for the PC (or Mac) by hooking it up via USB - so the "amp out" has nothing to do with it. (And even if I wouldn't know what you mean with "break the signal".)

You can play audio from your PC to the Amplifi and it will send that audio through its main outs/headphone outs along with your guitar signal.

The recording outs will just have your processed guitar signal.

Besides the TT does have RCA/line out, but using that to record would be pointless, as you would have to convert that signal back to digital. 

The last thing indicates that you want to record the dry guitar signal, and that's not possible (closest you can get is with a preset with nothing in it, but then of course you *only* have the "DI" signal). Same for Firewahk.

But instead of getting the Yamaha THR-10 for that, you can also just get a DI box/signal splitter and a separate audio interface for less. That way you can record your DI/dry signal while still playing with effects from the amplifi (and could additionally record its amp out as second channel)

13 hours ago, pipelineaudio1 said:

No matter what you do, you will have the original guitar and FX chain running in parallel with whatever comes out of the computer

If you do not want the PC sounds mute them in Windows mixer.

image.png.3123e75fd2cb59da0221c9566fa22422.png

I want only the PC sounds. I want the path to go like this:

Guitar into Amplifi.

Amplifi as DI as possible (would be nice to have the unaffected input like the Line 6 interfaces have as in their ASIO drop down menu) to ASIO input stream

ASIO output stream to Amplifi interface return

The issue here is that, unlike say the Yamaha THR 10, the original amplifi signal path will still appear at the output in parallel with the interface return, whereas I'd like to only have the interface return appear at the output

I finally understood what you're trying to achieve.

Amplifi as DI as possible:

→ create a tone with no amp, no cab, no effects. That is as DI as you can get

Record that DI:

→ route Amplifi's  outputs to your record in on your DAW

Disable monitoring of guitar signal via the Amplifi

→ not possible

There is no way to disable monitoring completely. I mean with the TT there's no issue, as you'd just not plug in the headphones to the TT, problem solved :-)

There is no "parallel signal" btw. just because you create a effects chain that sounds like it was direct, doesn't mean there are two signals passing through.

That being said: doesn't mean it wouldn't be possible, after all recording as a whole/use of Amplifi as a USB audio device was added by a firmware upgrade – but with current firmware there's only one signal you can record, and for that monitoring is always enabled internally in the Amplifi.

There's a request on ideascale to add a way to disable it: https://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Add-an-option-to-enable-disable-monitoring-in-ASIO-drivers/839867-23508