Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HOW TO OPEN SONIC PORT FOR REPAIR

kwakuemma

Please I have a sonic port. Yesterday i connected a guitar via aux(1/8 plug) in because i didn't have a cable with  1/4 plug. Sonic port fell down from a table on side the side where the cables are connected. I found out that the jack has developed a fault (loose soldering joint, i think). When i connect the aux -in cable, it doesn't work; i have to exert small pressure before signal can travel from the guitar to the sonic port. i think some soldered joints on the jack have broken. I have background in basic soldering and electronics so wanted to fix it myself. I tried to open sonic port to fix the soldering but it would not open. I'm in Ghana and shipping to Line 6 for this small fix would be meaningless. Please help me.

• 3 years later...

Hello,

Did you get an answer to this question because I have the same problem.

I have done an extensive internet search to no avail.

So, I shall endeavour to open the unit myself to repair a simple job. If I destroy the unit in the process no problem. I will buy something to replace it from another brand, checking that I can open it if need be.

Line 6 do not assist with any hardware problems, instead stating that any repairs need to be carried out by a registered repairer in the country that the person is living.

Quite unsatisfactory really. I can and have done repaired other named brands I own.

Inbuilt obsolescence. Needless to say I won't be purchasing any other Line 6 gear.

Cheers

• 1 year later...
On 4/12/2017 at 8:07 PM, kwakuemma said:

Please I have a sonic port. Yesterday i connected a guitar via aux(1/8 plug) in because i didn't have a cable with  1/4 plug. Sonic port fell down from a table on side the side where the cables are connected. I found out that the jack has developed a fault (loose soldering joint, i think). When i connect the aux -in cable, it doesn't work; i have to exert small pressure before signal can travel from the guitar to the sonic port. i think some soldered joints on the jack have broken. I have background in basic soldering and electronics so wanted to fix it myself. I tried to open sonic port to fix the soldering but it would not open. I'm in Ghana and shipping to Line 6 for this small fix would be meaningless. Please help me.

They intend to ship out some replacement cables to connect my Sonic Port.  I'm hopeful this will work.  I would be surprised if the cables have gone bad, especially so soon on a new unit.  And, like EDAdam, I've not even had it out of the house.  No abuse and is handled with care in a clean area.  I'll keep everyone informed on how this matter is resolved. 

My Herbalife Account

• 7 months later...

Also had an issue with the Sonic Port VX. Something became lose after dropping it and it stopped working. Was thinking I would give repairing it a try before just throwing it in the trash. Was able to open it without damaging it too much and find the faulty part. Made some pictures during the process - maybe this can help some of you :-)

Under the sticker with the serial number there is a screw you need to remove.signal-2023-07-12-174519_002.jpeg

Then comes the really tricky part. You need to get the bottom off from the rest of the device. I used some screwdrivers to push it gently between the gap at the bottom and try to remove it from the plastic latches that are inside the housing. I broke some of them during this process, but if you don't damage the housing you should be fine putting it together again afterwards, as some latches should still work and the screw that was first removed will hold it together again. At the end the bottom should come off and look like this: signal-2023-07-12-174519_003.jpeg

You then have to remove 3 screws in these locations: signal-2023-07-12-174519_004.jpeg

After this you should be able to remove the red cover of the audio ports: signal-2023-07-12-174519_005.jpeg

Marked in the picture above are also the two silver clamps that hold the circuit board - push to the side and carefully pull and lift the circuit board up, without pulling on the cables below the board. Remove the two flat cables by first pulling up the black plastic parts of the sockets, so that the cable becomes lose and easy to slide out. 

signal-2023-07-12-174519_006.jpeg

You should be have these sperate parts now: 

signal-2023-07-12-174536_002.jpeg

For me that would have been enough to dismantle as the broken capacitor was on that board and could easily be replaced that way. 

But if you need to reach other parts still you need to remove these 4 screws: 

signal-2023-07-12-174536_003.jpeg

And then pull off the volume wheel: 

signal-2023-07-12-174536_004.jpeg

This should enable you to remove the silver plastic part with the red top to get to the second circuit board with two more screws to remove:

signal-2023-07-12-174536_005.jpeg

You can then lift the circuit board to get to the parts of it's bottom (just be careful not to damage the cables that are connected to the microphone): 

signal-2023-07-12-174536_006.jpeg

To put it together again - of course - just do everything in reversed order ;-)