Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Registering a Helix bought used; Native pricing

JN99

Looking at buying a Helix and eventually will probably want to pick up Helix Native.  So if I buy a used Helix, does registration transfer to that new owner and is the new owner eligible for the $99 purchase price of Native that I understand will be offered to full Helix owners?  Thanks. 

I would think it might work like that, but I haven't seen confirmation. I think the likely scenario is that if the person who sold you the Helix had bought Native for $99, that once he sells the Helix, Helix Native comes along with it. That license would be tied to that Helix, so to speak. If he hasn't purchased Native, then I could see the new owner being able to get Native for the discounted price. Otherwise, if each successive owner gets to buy Native for $99 and keep it, it would seem to incentivize people flipping Helices just for the discount.

I think I read where the Helix warranty follows the unit. So In that case, the new Helix user (of a used Helix once re-registered) should be able to also buy Native for the $99.00 fee. That's if this were my company, which its not.  ;)

Since Native hasn't been released yet, this is really the second scenario in phil_m's post.  Since I'm looking to buy a used Helix at the moment I am really curious to understand if the registration will transfer to me and allow me to buy Native at the discounted price for Helix owners one released.  I believe that is $99 vs. $399.  If it's not going to work that way and I won't be able to buy Native at the discounted price it essentially negates any savings of a used Helix purchase and therefor any reason to consider buying used for anyone who also wants to purchase Native.

And once released, it will also be nice to understand licensing and registration on Native - does it also transfer with the Helix or remain with the original purchaser?  Is the Native license is in fact "tied to" the Helix unit as suggested?

On TGP, Frank Ritchotte, Sr. Director Of Operations, Line 6 Inc., has pretty much indicated that Line 6 will work with the second owner to get the Helix properly reregistered, (and unregistered from the prior owner). This was in the context of someone purchasing a used Helix from Guitar Center.

Line 6 seems to be quite facilitating. So you may want to private message Frank on the TGP forums to get a clearer response.

My impression from other posts in those threads on this issue is that you'll be on solid ground if you acquire the unit before Helix Native is released, and if you can get the original purchaser's receipt, and have him unregister it from Line 6's site. If the latter steps are difficult or unavailable, that's where Line 6 will need to confirm and assist, so that when Helix Native is released, your Helix's S/N registration aligns with you and your purchase discount for Helix Native.

I'm optimistic and confident that it will work out for you. Line 6's customer support is World Class! Frank is a large part of that.