Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Is this normal for L2T? Buzzzzzzzzzzz

StruckingFuggle

Ok, terrible camera work, I get it.  But does this sound normal for L2T?  I'm using a PRS on the neck pickup, Cali IV Rythm 2, low cut at 100hz, bedroom volumes , and this is what I hear on every palm mute of the lower frets.  

This L2t is only a few weeks old, and hasn't been driven hard. It happens in every DSP mode, on all my patches.  It's very prominent on clean sounds, especially when I play an F bar chord.  I'm waiting for the local Line 6 service tech to call me back.  Trying to decide if it needs repair, or if I should just send it back to Musicians Friend.  

It's definitely frequency/volume dependent.  I posted earlier about having a resonant room that excites when I play an A note, and I'm getting other things in the room vibrating when that happens.  So I moved this speaker to a completely different environment, and I'm still hearing this annoying buzz (that sounds like something on the desk is vibrating).  

I've heard it come from the back, which sounds like the dreaded fan noise issue, and I hear it come from the top/side closest to where I took the video

Nobody carries these locally, so I think my options are 1) send it back to Musicians Friends since I'm within the return window and wait for a replacement to be shipped, or 2) take it to the Line 6 service dealer and convince them that this buzz isn't normal and hope that they fix it.

I would take it back to Musician's Friend within your return period and have them replace it. Let them work with Line 6 to get it fixed; not your problem.

Absolutely send it back. My L2T is at the service center here in Kansas City (an issue unrelated to yours)--has been there over a month, Not to impugn the service center owner--he's just swamped with work. You will probably have a working unit in your hands faster on an RMA.

Mine is a year old. I was in no huge hurry, and I know the gentleman, so I chose to have the work done locally, rather than RMA. I use mine as a stage monitor, and I have a backup.

If you Google this buzzing issue, you will see that more than a few have had this problem, with L2 and L3 units. That PRS ought to sound like cream coming out of that speaker.

See http://line6.com/support/topic/5721-l2t-vibration-and-rattling-noise/page-2.

Clearly something loose and vibrating/resonating inside the cab.

Send it back for a new unit.

Make note of your S/N before you do so, to be sure they do not send the same unit back to you.

Wait, they actually do that?  Lol.  They've got a kick-back deal with UPS, right?  The UPS store just holds it in the back of the store for several days and then just re-delivers the same unit.  

I keed, I keed.  

Ok, terrible camera work, I get it. But does this sound normal for L2T? I'm using a PRS on the neck pickup, Cali IV Rythm 2, low cut at 100hz, bedroom volumes , and this is what I hear on every palm mute of the lower frets.

This L2t is only a few weeks old, and hasn't been driven hard. It happens in every DSP mode, on all my patches. It's very prominent on clean sounds, especially when I play an F bar chord. I'm waiting for the local Line 6 service tech to call me back. Trying to decide if it needs repair, or if I should just send it back to Musicians Friend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgEDVlKiX80

This is a well documented problem, for which the remedy is now years old. The problem is the fan assembly...at volume, it rattles at certain frequencies. The original part had to be redesigned to to correct it.

Supposedly newer units all have the updated part. Evidently you got one that's been sitting in a warehouse for any extended period of time...given the source, I'm not surprised. I had the exact same problem when mine was new, but that was more than 2 years ago now. Not exactly comforting that old defective ones are still being sold.