Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

FBV 3 & Spider IV 75 - Why should I keep this board?

Hi all.

I've just purchased an FBV 3 board to go with my Spider IV 75. Firstly, I'm not happy that all the literature I've read before purchasing says the board is compatible with the amp. In reality, as I'm sure many of you are finding, this board is barely properly compatible with anything. Aside from the LEDs not working as advertised, I can't use it to update the firmware on the amp (WTF not?!). I also can't update the firmware on the board at the moment because despite it costing just £20 less than the amp itself, there is no USB cable included. How cheap can you get?

I was prepared to make my peace with all that until I plugged it in and found, basically, that it didn't work. I'd have been better off playing catch with a kitchen knife than using the supplied manual, so after much pushing of buttons, and turning on & off suddenly, and for no obvious reason, it started working just fine. That was until I dared to use the tuner via the board. Since then basically every button is either unresponsive or takes 6-7 presses to have any effect. The pedal does not switch between volume & wah. I've tried another Ethernet cable which has had no effect.

I might just have been unlucky and got a duff product, but I've read enough to suggest not.

Can anyone suggest any way for me to fix it, or suggest why I should keep something that is, essentially, useless.

I'm just glad I've kept the packaging.

Thanks for your help/advice.

It is meant to be compatible, it says so right there in that document!

I don't know if I've somehow got it into some sort of function other than just simply switching between banks but given there is zero documentation (and I have to call a foreign country for any sort of tech support), and turning it on/off has no effect, I'm completely lost.

Is there a way to factory reset the mk3?

My man, it should have "basic functioning" but beyond that:

NOTE: When using the FBV 3 with the Spider IV and Spider Valve MKII series, the FBV 3 cannot be used as the interface to update or edit the amps with your computer. The FBV MKII pedals (Shortboard and Express) must be used for that functionality.

Assignable color LEDs available for use with Firehawk 1500 only. LEDs are red when FBV 3 is used with other Line 6 products

The FBV MKII is nice and allows for editing.

Is the FBV3 having issues or is it the Spider IV? Try another FBV and see if its the FBV3 or amp .

Hey, thanks for replying.

The amp is fine, it's definitely the board. I've just got a USB cable and will try and update the firmware. If that doesn't work it can go back as it's clearly duff. Literally none of the switches do anything.

The reason I got this was because if I want to upgrade my amp in the future I'd rather not have to buy a new board at the same time.

Any other suggestions or similar experiences?

Many thanks.

*EDIT*

So I've updated the firmware on the board and for now, it once more appears to be working. Hopefully it will remain that way. I'm still a bit annoyed that I can't update the firmware on my amp via the FBV 3, and that the LEDs are not working, but it's a start I guess.

• 1 year later...

Mike,... are certain that what you  are looking at is an FBV3?

The  one I have in front of me has USB and the RJ45 FBV mod connector on it.

Could you check again?

As BillBee suggests, check the link for compatibility, there are some extra notes regarding the FBV3.

10 hours ago, mikeheffner said:

I don't have a Mark IV, but following the advice of the Support page, downloaded the updates. Sorry, but that was a waste of time since there's no updating the Spider 3.

You're getting the FBV3 Controller mixed up with the Spider 3 amp.    The OP was about using the FBV3 controller with a Spider 4 amp.