Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Changing Amp Parameters with Footswitch

jrusto2000

I am trying to set up a patch that will increase Drive and decrease Master Volume.  The aim is to have the same volume/loudness after the switch is pressed.  I am assigning both parameters to 1 footswitch.  The label says multiple(2) on the scribble strip but it does not change the drive parameter.  I thought maybe that I could not control 2 amp parameters so I tried to lower the volume by turning on a gain block to reduce the output.  Again the Scribble Strip says Multiple(2) but the switch only controls the gain block.  I am using the latest versions of firmware 2.2 and the latest editor.   I have other patches that do this but I cannot get this one to work.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'm chiming in to remind myself to do an experiment/test with this when I'm next in front of my Helix - so I can see if there's an issue in assigning these functions in the current firmware version.

I'll chime in again once I've done that.

You should definitely be able to do something like this.

Some questions:

Did you use the menu button and then selecting the "Controller Assign"?

Are the parameters you want to change colored white and between brackets?

You mention that you have other patches that do work like this. Have you tried to recreate this patch from scratch? You may have a corrupted preset.

You should definitely be able to do something like this.

Some questions:

Did you use the menu button and then selecting the "Controller Assign"?

Are the parameters you want to change colored white and between brackets?

You mention that you have other patches that do work like this. Have you tried to recreate this patch from scratch? You may have a corrupted preset.

Yes I used Controller Assign and both parameters are in white brackets but only the last parameter that I set changes.   I will try to recreate it and see if that helps.

Thanks for the help

Yes I used Controller Assign and both parameters are in white brackets but only the last parameter that I set changes.   I will try to recreate it and see if that helps.

Thanks for the help

OK recreated and still the same issue.  I am new to the Helix like the way the stomp mode works.  I haven't tried snapshots yet.  I will have to figure out how those play with stomp mode.

I use a footswitch to change gain/level parameters on every single patch I ever make. It's easy. I don't actually use snapshots for this, although you can. Here's how you do it with a footswitch.

1. Go to your amp block.

2. Press the three line "menu" button.

3. Press controller assign

4. Select the parameter you want to control.

5. Select the controller you want to control that parameter. For instance, "Footswitch 8" is the second on the bottom row.

6. select the min value and max value (leave the "type" on "latching").

7. Repeat for the next parameter you want to control with that footswitch.

8. The easiest way to rename the parameter (if you don't want to be staring at "multiple (2)") is to use the editor. Click on "Controller Assign" and scroll to "custom label" and type in what you want. (I use "amp drive".) You can also change the color here. I like using Red or Orange for this.

Quick tip. change the mid and bass parameters at the same time. Dirtier sounds, imho, work better with less presence and/or treble, less bass (a LOT less bass a lot of the time), and more mids.

Let me know if that works for you.

OK recreated and still the same issue. I am new to the Helix like the way the stomp mode works. I haven't tried snapshots yet. I will have to figure out how those play with stomp mode.

PeterHamm described in detail how to set this up. If it doesn't work by following his instructions, I think there may be something wrong with your Helix

PeterHamm described in detail how to set this up. If it doesn't work by following his instructions, I think there may be something wrong with your Helix

Thank Peter for the info, I think Edwin must be right in that there is something wrong with the Helix.  I am going to reload the firmware and see if I still have the problem.  Oh by the way, the parameters  I am trying to change are in brackets.

Rusty 

Thank Peter for the info, I think Edwin must be right in that there is something wrong with the Helix.  I am going to reload the firmware and see if I still have the problem.  Oh by the way, the parameters  I am trying to change are in brackets.

Rusty 

Ok I think I figured it out.  Under the older V2.12? of the firmware and Editor, I could see both parameters changing the Editor Screen.  When I switched to the new version 2.20 the editor will not show the changes for both parameters, however when viewing the Helix's screen the parameters change as set.  Must be an update issue with the new editor.  I use the editor exclusively to make and adjust patches and have never really used the pedal's controls.  This was driving me nuts.  Reloaded firmware 3 times, set my Helix back to defaults etc etc.  Glad I figured this out.  

Is anybody else having this issue with the Helix Editor???

Rusty 

Rusty 

Is it possible the parameters were already set to change with a snapshot. 

You can NOT set a parameter to change with both snapshots AND a stomp.

Is it possible the parameters were already set to change with a snapshot. 

You can NOT set a parameter to change with both snapshots AND a stomp.

Thanks for the info Peter, but I am so new to the Helix that I have not delved into snapshots yet. I have only had it 3 weeks.  Snapshots will come but I need a little more fiddling with the Box.  I have been playing with MultiEffects processors for years and for each there is a learning curve.  The Helix is by far the simplest one I have had and UI is great.  

The only real issue I am having is that some of the patches I create are either harsh or Fizzy and there are so many options for tweaking.  Working the EQs and amp parameters to deal with some of that.  I am using an Alto T210 for FRFR and hope that it will be close enough to our QSC10 FOH speakers.   Getting there but will still take some more time to get my patches right.  Mostly trying to do 4 cover all patches ( clean, pushed clean, crunch, and High Gain) and then individual song patches for those songs that need more than I can get out of the 4 basic patches.   Are there resources that will help my learning curve??

Thanks again

Rusty

Thanks for the info Peter, but I am so new to the Helix that I have not delved into snapshots yet. I have only had it 3 weeks.  Snapshots will come but I need a little more fiddling with the Box.  I have been playing with MultiEffects processors for years and for each there is a learning curve.  The Helix is by far the simplest one I have had and UI is great.  

I know the feeling of wanting to progress in an orderly manner through the features on a new device but I would highly encourage you to jump into snapshot usage sooner rather than later. Like many users you may find snapshots indispensable. Starting off with snapshots may save you a lot of time redesigning presets down the line. It may also save you a lot of time and aggravation figuring out routing and parameter changing; operations that are executed more easily with snapshots. You also get the instant benefit of adding "trails" capability to your preset.

A very rough analogy might be "why try to find just the right drill, bolt, lock washer, nut and socket wrench" when the parts in your project can just be snapped and locked together.  Snapshots would be that "snap and lock" technology.

A related response on another topic.

http://line6.com/support/topic/26852-simple-switching-between-path-1-path-2/?p=208041

• 3 years later...
On 4/15/2017 at 4:56 PM, PeterHamm said:

I use a footswitch to change gain/level parameters on every single patch I ever make. It's easy. I don't actually use snapshots for this, although you can. Here's how you do it with a footswitch.

1. Go to your amp block.

2. Press the three line "menu" button.

3. Press controller assign

4. Select the parameter you want to control.

5. Select the controller you want to control that parameter. For instance, "Footswitch 8" is the second on the bottom row.

6. select the min value and max value (leave the "type" on "latching").

7. Repeat for the next parameter you want to control with that footswitch.

8. The easiest way to rename the parameter (if you don't want to be staring at "multiple (2)") is to use the editor. Click on "Controller Assign" and scroll to "custom label" and type in what you want. (I use "amp drive".) You can also change the color here. I like using Red or Orange for this.

Quick tip. change the mid and bass parameters at the same time. Dirtier sounds, imho, work better with less presence and/or treble, less bass (a LOT less bass a lot of the time), and more mids.

Let me know if that works for you.

Hey, I just tried this for the Poly Pitch effect (to use FS1 to either change it from -12 or 0).

It works fine which changing from 0 to -12, but then when changing from -12 to 0 there's a lag and it takes a long time to ramp up and get through all the 12 notes. Anyone know why this might be?

51 minutes ago, ReeV0 said:

Hey, I just tried this for the Poly Pitch effect (to use FS1 to either change it from -12 or 0).

It works fine which changing from 0 to -12, but then when changing from -12 to 0 there's a lag and it takes a long time to ramp up and get through all the 12 notes. Anyone know why this might be?

Check these two params

• ShiftTime—Determines how long it takes for the signal to ramp up or down to the set pitch when the block is enabled. Press the knob to toggle between ms/Sec and note/beat values. TIP: Want to hit the switch and have Poly Pitch dive bomb and land exactly one bar later? Press the knob to select note values and set ShiftTime to "1/1"
  • ShiftCurve—Determines the trajectory curve of the pitch shift over time. StartSlow values are concave (slower changes to start, speeding up toward the end); StartFast values are convex (the opposite). At the knob's extremes (Start Slow 5 and Start Fast 5), the pitch will actually overshoot a little before settling on the target pitch. The default is "Linear"

51 minutes ago, ReeV0 said:

Poly pitch is the only block that does this, and it is on purpose, and it's switchable, I think, in the FX block. Also, try using MOMENTARY for Poly pitch, and you can step on the switch to ramp up (or down) and then release to ramp back. It is SO FREAKING COOL!

1 hour ago, PierM said:

Check these two params

• ShiftTime—Determines how long it takes for the signal to ramp up or down to the set pitch when the block is enabled. Press the knob to toggle between ms/Sec and note/beat values. TIP: Want to hit the switch and have Poly Pitch dive bomb and land exactly one bar later? Press the knob to select note values and set ShiftTime to "1/1"
  • ShiftCurve—Determines the trajectory curve of the pitch shift over time. StartSlow values are concave (slower changes to start, speeding up toward the end); StartFast values are convex (the opposite). At the knob's extremes (Start Slow 5 and Start Fast 5), the pitch will actually overshoot a little before settling on the target pitch. The default is "Linear"

I tried changing all these parameters and it's still doing it O.o

• 7 months later...
12 hours ago, chechunka said:

Can you have more than one switch attached to an amp block?  i.e. one switch for "more amp drive" and another switch for "MORE MORE amp drive"?

Nope. 

You can do this with snapshots, OR... what I do... add a dirt pedal or a boost (the Mark V EQ is fun for this, as is Deranged Master).