Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Using the Helix live - mixing presets with stomp mode

lespaul0338

Got the Helix a couple of weeks ago to explore an alternative to my normal valve amp/cab and pedal board. I'm already confused and losing enthusiasm to keep going. I'm impatient and want to just crack on using it live and so am yet to be convinced such a complex peice of kit is right for me

At this stage I don't want to set up presets for each song on our set list but rather set up maybe 3 or 4 amp/cab presets to cover clean/break up/crunch and then be able to switch various individual effects boosts, overdrives, modulation etc in and out as I need them. In other words use it like a pedal board but using the amp/cab settings in the Helix.

Can't seem to find anything yet in Line 6 manual that covers this

I know the way I want to use it is probably missing out on a lot of the features - but one step at a time.

Any (simple) advice?

Got the Helix a couple of weeks ago to explore an alternative to my normal valve amp/cab and pedal board. I'm already confused and losing enthusiasm to keep going. I'm impatient and want to just crack on using it live and so am yet to be convinced such a complex peice of kit is right for me

At this stage I don't want to set up presets for each song on our set list but rather set up maybe 3 or 4 amp/cab presets to cover clean/break up/crunch and then be able to switch various individual effects boosts, overdrives, modulation etc in and out as I need them. In other words use it like a pedal board but using the amp/cab settings in the Helix.

Can't seem to find anything yet in Line 6 manual that covers this

I know the way I want to use it is probably missing out on a lot of the features - but one step at a time.

Any (simple) advice?

Sounds like you got confused by the manual... or maybe just misunderstood terminolgoy?

Check out he following:

Manual page 11 (Stomp Footsiwtch mode)

This does exactly what you want.

You can assign any block (delay, distortion, etc) to any footswitch.  See the manual "Bypass Assign" section on page 40.

You can also set up snapshots where various effects are on/off in any combination or change parameters of effects etc with a single button press.  i.e. press one button to turn on delay block, turn on tube screamer, turn off pitch block and change amp gain to 10. You can still switch back to stomp mode and individually control pedals. There is a lot of info in the "snapshots" section on page 34.

Thanks for reply - looks like you found me out :-) ....dazed and confused here.

I've been to used to the simple world of plugging a pedal board into a valve amp!

Found the sections you mentioned and this seems to help. I just need to go in a darkened room, study the manual properly (told you I was impatient) and work it out.

Cheers

In the past I was making a preset per song. Now I have narrowed it down to just a few different presets built around a particular amp/cab model. All the presets are basically the same with a different core tone from different amp/cab. I sprinkle in a few effects as necessary. So, I just pick the appropriate core tone preset for the song and play away. 

In the past I was making a preset per song. Now I have narrowed it down to just a few different presets built around a particular amp/cab model. All the presets are basically the same with a different core tone from different amp/cab. I sprinkle in a few effects as necessary. So, I just pick the appropriate core tone preset for the song and play away. 

I use a sort of hybrid approach. Some songs have very specific requirements for their sound or specific snapshots that cover all the parts in the arrangement and they get a preset of their own. For others, much as you described, I set up various generic presets that can accommodate a wide range of material. Those are my go-to presets and get a quite a bit of use during a performance.