Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

My Shuriken arrived this week

nippyjun

I have a helix. This is my first Variax.

The Guitar itself is good quality. It's not heavy. Feels solid. Nice in the hands. Neck is comfortable.

The scale length is longer then I'm used to but I'm pretty much accustomed to it after a few hours of use.

The matte black finish is cool. Left hand slides easy with this finish.

It does pick up fingerprints.

Integration with Helix is crazy cool. Changing tuning per snapshot is great.

It came tuned to Drop D as many of the presets built into the guitar are made for Drop D.

When setting up different tunings in Helix you just have to set the low E string setting by one whole step higher to account for the physically Drop D tuned guitar.

I play along with tabs on tab toolkit app on my iPad. Mostly metal genre with lots of different tunings . This makes it fast and easy once you set up the preset.

Palm muting is not quite sounding perfect but good enough.

If any of you have questions I'll try to answer them.

I ordered mine from Sweetwater Jan 25 and it came 4/11/17.

• Upvote 2

How do you find the tension on the strings with the standard gauge and baritone scale? Have you delved into workbench yet to see if you tighten up the palm muting via tweaking? How does the mag pick up sound?

I just installed workbench. How do you tighten up palm muting?

The string tension feels fine. They are 10's.

I haven't even tried the magnetic pickup yet.

The string tension feels fine. They are 10's.

I haven't even tried the magnetic pickup yet.

Honestly I couldn't tell you, I just know that you can adjust each string's individual levels so maybe that might help? I ordered one a couple weeks again and patiently wait. New to the variax experience also.

Ok. I installed the workbench and monkey software.

I had to register the guitar with line 6 to get the software to recognize the guitar.

Monkey said firmware up to date.

I didn't play around with workbench but it downloaded all the info on the guitar to the workbench.

I'm having so much fun setting up different tunings on the helix. 8 different tunings per preset. One per snapshot.

Amazing. Sounds really good.

The magnetic pickup sounds fine to me.

One tip is that you have to have a cable in the 1/4" socket of the guitar in addition to the variax cable for workbench and monkey to see the guitar.

You don't, really. Piezos are a different animal. They're very sensitive, and they're picking up resonances from the string, the bridge itself, the saddle it's sitting in, etc... no two guitars will be identical in that respect, and it's at least part of the reason that some Variaxes suffer from the dreaded "piezo plink" while others don't. And, palm-muting with high gain tends to make it worse. Some of it may be mitigated with a good set up, as even a little fret buzz that would likely be inaudible with mag pickups, will tend to slap you in the face with piezos. Unfortunately, a lot of it boils down to "did I get a good one"?

One tip is that you have to have a cable in the 1/4" socket of the guitar in addition to the variax cable for workbench and monkey to see the guitar.

As of firmware v2.20 Helix acts as a Workbench interface. With your guitar connected via VDI you should be able to run Workbench without using the separate Workbench interface hardware or regular guitar cable.

• 2 weeks later...

"Palm muting is not quite sounding perfect but good enough. "

yup, i got my Shuriken. Plink is there on the low E, very pronounced on those models that were discussed so much and it's same old thing. Wanted to give this a chance but it's there. Contacted Stevic and he very kindly replied he does not experience any of this on those Shurikens he tried. So hit or miss thing i would say. But i'm convinced it's a hardware thing ie. on the piezo.

"Palm muting is not quite sounding perfect but good enough. "

yup, i got my Shuriken. Plink is there on the low E, very pronounced on those models that were discussed so much and it's same old thing. Wanted to give this a chance but it's there. Contacted Stevic and he very kindly replied he does not experience any of this on those Shurikens he tried. So hit or miss thing i would say. But i'm convinced it's a hardware thing ie. on the piezo.

Its unfortunate, but I'm not surprised. It's been an issue for years, and to the best of my knowledge the guts are the same as the rest of the current Variax models. If you get one that works, great... if not, it's a constant headache. Seems that until there's some fundamental change in the technology that addresses this issue, there will be plinky Variaxes aplenty... and yet it's always a mystery to the powers that be. Everybody's plinking guitar is the first one they've heard of. Everyone is Patient Zero...astounding. ;)

Its unfortunate, but I'm not surprised. It's been an issue for years, and to the best of my knowledge the guts are the same as the rest of the current Variax models. If you get one that works, great... if not, it's a constant headache. Seems that until there's some fundamental change in the technology that addresses this issue, there will be plinky Variaxes aplenty... and yet it's always a mystery to the powers that be. Everybody's plinking guitar is the first one they've heard of. Everyone is Patient Zero...astounding. ;)

I really believe that playing style is a big part of it as well. It seems some players play in such a way that the inherent issues with piezos are worse, and some player just naturally minimize it. So I think that can be part of the issue in trying to find a universal solution.

I really believe that playing style is a big part of it as well. It seems some players play in such a way that the inherent issues with piezos are worse, and some player just naturally minimize it. So I think that can be part of the issue in trying to find a universal solution.

I used to think that too. Except in this case, the guy who designed this particular axe is a djent-y, high gain, palm muting, chug machine... yet he experiences no plink issues. If he can palm-mute until the cows come home, everyone else should be able to as well. There are only so many ways to apply that technique...

I used to think that too. Except in this case, the guy who designed this particular axe is a djent-y, high gain, palm muting, chug machine... yet he experiences no plink issues. If he can palm-mute until the cows come home, everyone else should be able to as well. There are only so many ways to apply that technique...

I think there's significant differences in the way people palm mute, and, really, I think it has to do with the right hand technique and the way people use the pick more than anything. I have seen some people rest their hands on top of the saddles when they palm mute, for instance. I think some people are transferring a lot more energy into the strings than others, too.

Not saying it's the only thing. I think there are hardware and software issues at play, too. But I think it's a multi-factorial problem.

Guest Novocaine

Sorry I have to disagree. Technique is in my opinion the least contributor to the 'problem'.

i have just swapped to a .52 low E and the plink is almost eliminated. It has to do with the piezo, some dampening or extra force the heavier gauge puts on the saddle that stops a certain vibration that the piezo picks up. I don't know if it can be eliminated via software but the problem can be isolated. 

Sorry I have to disagree. Technique is in my opinion the least contributor to the 'problem'.

i have just swapped to a .52 low E and the plink is almost eliminated. It has to do with the piezo, some dampening or extra force the heavier gauge puts on the saddle that stops a certain vibration that the piezo picks up. I don't know if it can be eliminated via software but the problem can be isolated.

Cause(s) aside, if a universal solution existed, we'd all know about it by now. This ain't exactly a new problem....what we do know, is that the plink has been blamed on everything from gingivitis to sun spots, and the "it's just a set-up issue" is ridiculous at face value, and always has been. Any remedies that have actually produced results have been highly variable from one guitar to the next. It's great that the heavier gauge string worked for you, but you're not the first guy to try that. It's hit or miss, just like EVERY other "fix" that's been discussed around here.

• Upvote 1

The Guitar itself is good quality. It's not heavy. Feels solid. Nice in the hands. Neck is comfortable.

The scale length is longer then I'm used to but I'm pretty much accustomed to it after a few hours of use.

The matte black finish is cool. Left hand slides easy with this finish.

It does pick up fingerprints.

Integration with Helix is crazy cool. Changing tuning per snapshot is great.

It came tuned to Drop D as many of the presets built into the guitar are made for Drop D.

When setting up different tunings in Helix you just have to set the low E string setting by one whole step higher to account for the physically Drop D tuned guitar.

I play along with tabs on tab toolkit app on my iPad. Mostly metal genre with lots of different tunings . This makes it fast and easy once you set up the preset.

Palm muting is not quite sounding perfect but good enough.

I ordered mine from Sweetwater Jan 25 and it came 4/11/17.

Hi,

Very interested in Shuriken - was looking for a baritone anyway and I already own Helix so......

Tell me about the neck profile please? I am very fussy and like slim Gibson SG necks and ESP which I dont think are going to be a match with what I see described as a C profile. Any dimensions or comparisons to other guitars you could share?

Thanks.

Hi, I would say the neck feels closer to my strat or vintage gibson sg. Not like my Les Paul standard. It feels thinner like the strat.

I think if it was a chunky neck it would be harder to play being a baritone scale.

Hi, I would say the neck feels closer to my strat or vintage gibson sg. Not like my Les Paul standard. It feels thinner like the strat.

I think if it was a chunky neck it would be harder to play being a baritone scale.

Thanks for the reply. Hmmm. Vintage SG? The 50s profile neck? And "thinner like the strat"? I dont usually associate a thin neck with a strat but they  vary...

Chunky neck would not suit me so I am glad to hear that. Thin is good. Any glue as to fingerboard radius?

Thanks again.

Stevic, the founder of Shuriken Guitars has a Facebook page which you can find searching for ... Attention please.... "Shuriken Guitars" ;)

You would be best to ask there for details.

Thanks but I dont have a Facebook page.

I am on the verge of putting a deposit down and I guess if I really cant get on with the neck I would send it back but based on what I see so far I might find returning it rather difficult!

Very subjective thing is neck profile anyway...

… and nobody you know has an account, you could use for this one reason?  :huh:

Unlikely. There is always a way but it is not always the easy one.

be my guest.... :D

be my guest.... :D

quite honestly I dont see much of substitute for trying it anyway. Measurements and profiles dont give the whole story away - been surprised before. It looks wonderful and I have been after a baritone for a while - it would have to be pig uncomfortable not to get on with it.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

Very interested in Shuriken - was looking for a baritone anyway and I already own Helix so......

Tell me about the neck profile please? I am very fussy and like slim Gibson SG necks and ESP which I dont think are going to be a match with what I see described as a C profile. Any dimensions or comparisons to other guitars you could share?

Thanks.

The neck is a big deal for me as well.... I have a JTV 89F and it has a (what someone else described as the) "shredder neck" I love it I can't even play well with a LesPaul, PRS, fat neck (great guitars) but to me its like playing a cucumber... LOL

if someone who has both could elaborate on this it would be great..

My Shuriken has a pretty thin neck actually. Probably closer to the JTV 89 from what I can tell. I believe it has more of a Thin "D" vs a Thin "C", which is a little foreign, at least to me. I also have a JTV 69 and the neck on that IMO is really good for people used to Les Paul's and Strat's. It's thicker than a typical Strat "C" neck but has a similar "D" shape (wider shoulders than a C) to the Shuriken. I was going to change the neck out on the 69 for a Warmoth Strat neck but it really is a good neck.

Overall, I personally prefer the JTV 69 neck over the Shuriken. In fact, playing the Shuriken has given me a little bit of pain in the last two weeks I've owned it. It might be from the fact that I play longer because its so damn fun to play though... It might also be that its a baritone and you have to keep the string tension high to reduce plink so bends can be brutal. I own other baritone's including a rare Explorer, an 8 string Mayones Misha Monsoor owned, a PRS, and an ESP and those seem easier to play. Less fatigue.

My all time favorite neck profile is the one on my Strandbergs. Regardless of how many strings (6, 7, 8) it is ergonomically perfect and makes playing for long periods so easy and fatigue free. It's weird for the first thirty seconds and then its like, ahhhhh, brilliant! Thin necks are fun to shred on but they have been proven to contribute to tendonitis. Your hands weren't really made to work that way. 

My dream guitar would be the Shuriken with a Strandberg Endurneck profile. 

Hope this neck diatribe helps those interested in the Shuriken.

My Shuriken has a pretty thin neck actually. Probably closer to the JTV 89 from what I can tell. I believe it has more of a Thin "D" vs a Thin "C", which is a little foreign, at least to me. I also have a JTV 69 and the neck on that IMO is really good for people used to Les Paul's and Strat's. It's thicker than a typical Strat "C" neck but has a similar "D" shape (wider shoulders than a C) to the Shuriken. I was going to change the neck out on the 69 for a Warmoth Strat neck but it really is a good neck.

Overall, I personally prefer the JTV 69 neck over the Shuriken. In fact, playing the Shuriken has given me a little bit of pain in the last two weeks I've owned it. It might be from the fact that I play longer because its so damn fun to play though... It might also be that its a baritone and you have to keep the string tension high to reduce plink so bends can be brutal. I own other baritone's including a rare Explorer, an 8 string Mayones Misha Monsoor owned, a PRS, and an ESP and those seem easier to play. Less fatigue.

My all time favorite neck profile is the one on my Strandbergs. Regardless of how many strings (6, 7, 8) it is ergonomically perfect and makes playing for long periods so easy and fatigue free. It's weird for the first thirty seconds and then its like, ahhhhh, brilliant! Thin necks are fun to shred on but they have been proven to contribute to tendonitis. Your hands weren't really made to work that way. 

My dream guitar would be the Shuriken with a Strandberg Endurneck profile. 

Hope this neck diatribe helps those interested in the Shuriken.

It does help - thanks. I think there is more than half a  chance this will feel OK to me. I am fairly sure the JTV69 would not suit me - my favoured necks are ESP and a slim taper SG - both thin but to me really comfortable. I will be giving a Shuriken a try very soon.

Thanks again.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi guys ! 

I have a JTV89F for many years and I was experiencing the plink plonk sound on the E string when palm muting at high gain (I play Metal songs). Very annoying...

Recently, I bought an Helix (I was on a Pod HD500X) and I try to config the Variax with Workbench HD directly from the Helix. (Variax is connected to the Helix with the Variax cable and Helix connected to my computer by USB). This config allows me to modify a little bit a parameter on Workbench and ear immediately how it sounds.

My goal was to find a setup which minimize the plink plonk sound.

Big Surprise ! I was on a body Lester Flametop and mic 89 bridge and I modify this for a neutral body with Wide Range humbucker bridge. No more plink !!!

Even with high gain amp like PV Panama ! I am really really happy !

Please try to modify your setup in Workbench HD and tell me if it solves the plink plonk sound on your side.

• 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...
On 4/15/2017 at 10:06 PM, nippyjun said:

Hi Nippyjun, would like to ask you some questions if you don't mind.

- You have had the guitar for some time now, what do you think of it? Are you satisfied? Any complains or highlights?

- Were you used to 27" scale before? I think you said no but that you got the hang of it in a couple hours; after many more hours of playing do you miss some more confort or you feel now its just as good as any other guitar?

- What have you been playing most? Low tunnings? The modeled guitars? Have you been djenting like hell?

And a final question :- ) would you recommend it for a struggling guitarist which is still far from decent? Do you think it would be better to get the 25'5 model that its about to appear?

Thanks a lot man, even if you don't answer, for the original post, it is always good to read opinions from an owner.

Regards.

Good questions. 

It it has become my main guitar. Reason is that I play mostly metal with all different  tunings  so easy to go from one tuning to another and then to another using the helix with the Shuriken. 

I'm very happy with the build quality. 

'I'm used to,the baritone scale length and had never tried that before this guitar. I'm used to it. But if you go from a standard guitar to the Shuriken in the same session it may feel a bit different for a short while. 

Id recommend trying one if possible before buying. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/2/2018 at 3:28 AM, nippyjun said:

Good questions. 

It it has become my main guitar. Reason is that I play mostly metal with all different  tunings  so easy to go from one tuning to another and then to another using the helix with the Shuriken. 

I'm very happy with the build quality. 

'I'm used to,the baritone scale length and had never tried that before this guitar. I'm used to it. But if you go from a standard guitar to the Shuriken in the same session it may feel a bit different for a short while. 

Id recommend trying one if possible before buying. 

Hi again Nippyjun.

I'm still getting as much information as possible, have almost decided to buy one but still have some questions for you.

I don't want to be super annoying, so feel free not to answer, you have already helped me quite a lot : )

I went to a local store, didn't had one (obviously) but they let me try a JTV-69 and a 27" baritone, the JTV was really good, what I expect from the variax modeling, and the baritone was not very unconfortable or weird, it seemed pretty good and normal, with a higher string tension.

The questions are two.

1 - The tunnings: You said that the guitar comes tuned to Drop D right? And that all the presets are expecting this physical tuning. Is this the case? Should you change the guitar's physical tuning you should then adapt the models in the Workbench?

This is only hypotetical, with this guitar I guess there is not much reason to change the pysical tuning.

2 - The helix: A helix with this guitar sounds veeeeeery sweet, but right now my wallet disagrees. I have readed many times that there should be no problem to play this guitar with any amp but ... have you tried it? Can give us any feedback on it?

Another question on this topic could the power, with a helix you don't need the battery, is this the case when you are plugged to the computer?

Thanks again man, if I get one (most likelly) I will stay arround and try to help the next guy.

On 10/24/2018 at 11:01 PM, djiaux said:

1 - The tunnings: You said that the guitar comes tuned to Drop D right? And that all the presets are expecting this physical tuning. Is this the case? Should you change the guitar's physical tuning you should then adapt the models in the Workbench?

This is only hypotetical, with this guitar I guess there is not much reason to change the pysical tuning.

2 - The helix: A helix with this guitar sounds veeeeeery sweet, but right now my wallet disagrees. I have readed many times that there should be no problem to play this guitar with any amp but ... have you tried it? Can give us any feedback on it?

Another question on this topic could the power, with a helix you don't need the battery, is this the case when you are plugged to the computer?

I don't have a Shuriken, but this applies to any Variax so...

1- The Variax just shifts the physical tuning of each string so you have to think about that. All the "Shuriken" preset are mad for a physical drop D tuning. The standard tuning in the Shuriken is actually a standard tuning with the sixth string raised one step.

2- I don't have an Helix and can use a Variax with any other amp, by using the battery. When you use the USB adapter, you have to use the battery. Don't know what happens if you use the Helix as a Variax interface.

• Thanks 1

On 10/24/2018 at 3:01 PM, djiaux said:

Hi again Nippyjun.

I'm still getting as much information as possible, have almost decided to buy one but still have some questions for you.

I don't want to be super annoying, so feel free not to answer, you have already helped me quite a lot : )

I went to a local store, didn't had one (obviously) but they let me try a JTV-69 and a 27" baritone, the JTV was really good, what I expect from the variax modeling, and the baritone was not very unconfortable or weird, it seemed pretty good and normal, with a higher string tension.

The questions are two.

Thanks again man, if I get one (most likelly) I will stay arround and try to help the next guy.

The regular tuning banks (D standard, baritone, etc.) are mapped to be used with the guitar in standard tuning. When you get to the custom tuning banks and the modeled tunings in the custom guitar and Shuriken banks, those are mapped for dropped D as they are Stevic’s Custom tunings and he keeps his guitar in dropped D. 

Myself, I’ve kept it in standard and ended up overwriting the custom tuning banks with my own. 

• Thanks 1

On 10/28/2018 at 3:23 PM, SymphonicDischord said:

The regular tuning banks (D standard, baritone, etc.) are mapped to be used with the guitar in standard tuning. When you get to the custom tuning banks and the modeled tunings in the custom guitar and Shuriken banks, those are mapped for dropped D as they are Stevic’s Custom tunings and he keeps his guitar in dropped D. 

Myself, I’ve kept it in standard and ended up overwriting the custom tuning banks with my own. 

Thanks for the replies GiRa and SymphonicDischord.

Well, that is a little confusing, to have some banks ready for one physical tuning while having others in another one, but it is ok. I guess I will do the same, keep it in standard and toy with the customs.