Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Simple Switching Between Path 1 & Path 2?

mongopotamus

Happy Easter everyone and apologies if this has been asked a million times, I honestly cannot find the solution I'm looking for...

My two favorite amp/cabs are the following:

Clean - US Deluxe Vib

Distorted - Cali Rectifier

Since the Cali Rectifier is DSP intensive, I cannot put them both on Path 1, I must use Path 2 to use both amps.

All I want to do is have a single footswitch switch between these two sounds, yet I cannot find a clean and simple way to do it.

The best I've found so far is to split Path 1 (into 1A and 1B, which requires a pedal I don't need on 1B for the split) and send 1B to Path 2 (using the Path 1 split as an AB switch).

Path 1 -----> AB Split ----> Clean Amp ----> Output

Path 1B         |-------> Useless Pedal ---> On to Path 2

Path 2 -----> Dirty Amp ------> Output

Is there a very simple way to switch between Path 1 and Path 2 if they're completely parallel?  Path 1 would be all my clean stuff and Path 2 would be all my dirty stuff.  I feel like adding a useless pedal to Path 1B just to have it flow into Path 2 is more of a hack.

Thanks!

Happy Easter everyone and apologies if this has been asked a million times, I honestly cannot find the solution I'm looking for...

My two favorite amp/cabs are the following:

Clean - US Deluxe Vib

Distorted - Cali Rectifier

Since the Cali Rectifier is DSP intensive, I cannot put them both on Path 1, I must use Path 2 to use both amps.

All I want to do is have a single footswitch switch between these two sounds, yet I cannot find a clean and simple way to do it.

The best I've found so far is to split Path 1 (into 1A and 1B, which requires a pedal I don't need on 1B for the split) and send 1B to Path 2 (using the Path 1 split as an AB switch).

Path 1 -----> AB Split ----> Clean Amp ----> Output

Path 1B         |-------> Useless Pedal ---> On to Path 2

Path 2 -----> Dirty Amp ------> Output

Is there a very simple way to switch between Path 1 and Path 2 if they're completely parallel?  Path 1 would be all my clean stuff and Path 2 would be all my dirty stuff.  I feel like adding a useless pedal to Path 1B just to have it flow into Path 2 is more of a hack.

Thanks!

I apologize for skipping over your question regarding implementation suggestions for switching between your two paths, someone else will doubtlessly answer it quite well. I just wanted to make the following suggestion that instead of switching paths you might consider using snapshots to do this instead. Using snapshots gives you a major advantage in that you can load up your preset with effects and other blocks using a "Super Serial (X2)" routing which you can find in the Templates setlist.  All of your blocks in the preset are now available to both amps instead of just one. You won't have to repeat block usage by for instance including a compressor and distortion block for each amp on each path. When you want to switch amps just change snapshots. The snapshot change can not only include switching one amp/cab on and the other(s) off but can also change any number of amp/cab, EQ, and effect parameters at the same time. That means when you switch amps you can simultaneously change the EQ, the reverb/delay parameters, the distortion settings, etc.., . This way you have all the blocks in the preset available for both amps but customized via snapshots for when you select a specific amp.

Snapshots also makes it easy to switch not only between for example "clean" and "lead" sounds between amps, but also allows you to easily switch in a clean or dirty sound on the same amp. You can also add additional snapshots to emulate multi-channel amps e.g. (Clean, Crunch, Lead, etc.) as well as add customized snapshots for specific song parts.

I use snapshots all the time for switching between amps within a single preset and one important benefit is that snapshots allow you to switch between up to three blocks from completely different amps or to switch between three different amp channel blocks(models) from the same amp.

• Like 1

What he said, snapshots.

Or if you don't want to dive into them yet, a single footswitch can switch the bypass state of multiple blocks at once, whether they're on the same path or not. You don't need splits for that.

But snapshots.

Thanks for the help!  I took another look at snapshots just now and realized that I can change the output block volume to -120dB for the inactive path in each snapshot.  That solves the problem because now I can have two totally parallel paths and just snapshot between them, muting whichever one is not active.

I had previously tried snapshots without that little tweak and you could hear the raw guitar sound from the inactive path, even if all blocks were disabled.

Here's a summary for anyone else out there that wants a very easy way to use two DSP-intensive amps and easily switch between them:

1) Put your clean amp on Path 1 and your dirty amp on Path 2 (or vice versa), leaving the paths completely independent from each other (parallel paths).

2) Set both paths to have the input you want (guitar most likely) and output you want (multi most likely).

3) In Snapshot 1, bypass all blocks on Path 2 and set the Path 2 output block volume to -120dB (set up Path 1 however you want your clean sound).

4) In Snapshot 2, bypass all blocks in Path 1 and set the Path 1 output block volume to -120dB (set up Path 2 however you want your dirty sound).

5) I'd recommend changing your footswitches to show snapshots if you're using this scenario, which is a under Global Settings -> Footswitches -> Preset Mode Switches.

I do this by running the second amp downstream on path 2a, with the first (clean) amp on 1a.

I was doing this prior to Snapshots; I had a multi-assigned function switch (maxed out to 8 items =]) which selected between the two.

We're quite lucky in that Line 6 made Helix so that stereo isn't collapsed by the second mono amp when it's not an active block: any stereo effects coming from upstream (path 1a/b) maintain their stereo image.

You can put both amps in path 1 if you separate out the cabs, which you should do anyway. Separating out the amp and cab sounds the same AND you can now put a tremolo or spring reverb effect in where it should be in many cases, between the amp and cab.

In fact, you MIGHT find that you can find one cab that you like just fine for both amps, and you could then have one amp on path.

I just tested, and I was able to put both amps, two distortion boxes, a compressor, a modulation, and a delay all on path 1.

Then put your cabs on path 2 and whatever else you want there.

You can set a volume block at the beginning of each path. Assign them both to the same foot switch and bypass one of them.  Turn both their positions to 0% (remove the expression pedal controller).  Now the foot switch will toggle between the two which effectively mute their path.

The biggest benefit of running it this way is that both paths can take advantage of parallel effect routing.  The other way you described leaves one side as serial only because of the path 1b-> path 2 routing. (I still do it the other way 95% of the time because thats how I first learned it and I'm stubborn and lazy)