Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Update nightmare

KRTW

Ok, I am new at this so some of the issues may be my fault. I have just purchased a Helix unit, used, that is at Ver 2.10.0. I want to get it up to the latest rev, before I even really start to use the unit. 

I have tired on 2 different computers, both running W7 pro 64 bit.

On the desktop, when I run the editor software, it just says error.  When I run the update software, I get a long OpenGL error message and it fails.

When I use the laptop, I can at least run the update software, but for some reason I cannot log onto my account. Proper password and everything, it does not work. So I use the off-line way, select the file and get another error - it just say encountered an error, please turn off the Helix, turn it on again, and press continue to try again.

So, are there CLEAR instructions anywhere on what the exact correct files are that are required, what the EXACT proper steps are for this, and any ideas what may be causing these issues?

Any help appreciated. I can hardly wait to get started using this tool.

Thanks.

The detailed instructions can be found in the Release Notes for the Helix editor software. Go to the Downloads section of this website (see tab at top of this page). Select Helix in the middle Software field, not in the leftmost Products field. That will bring you to the editor page where you will find the instructions. The first step (after making backups which does to apply to you right now) is to download and install the editor package, including the latest versions of the driver and Line6 Updater program. You will find the Get Download button at the bottom of the instructions page.

Follow all instructions carefully.

Without being specific, here are some things to try:

1.  Helix updates are very picky about which USB port you use.  Try them all.  Try a hub if you have one, if your computer's ports don't work. 

2.  Try different browsers.  I think I've read here that some work and some don't on Windows.

3.  Eat your vegetables.

So, followed the instructions EXACTLY. My back up is complete. Removed everything, did a clean boot, followed instruction that are posted under support to the letter. When I ran the update program, it gave me an HTTP error, then would not log on at all, log in information incorrect - but it IS correct. Manual install failed. Different USB port failed. Reboot failed. Checking device mangler drivers are loaded.I can talk to the Helix with editor - this is just stupid. I have a direct USB cable to Helix. Can talk to it, have all the proper software - and nothing.

And a few hours of time wasted. Getting a little frustrated. I use Chrome and I am not installing anything else for this.

Do you have any Antivirus or Windows UAC or SmartScreen enabled? If so, disable them while doing the update. 

I have Google Chrome too and it worked like a charm.

I don't recommend you using USB HUBS at all! 

Don't forget to reset your global settings after updating in order to 2.20 to work properly.

So, followed the instructions EXACTLY. My back up is complete. Removed everything, did a clean boot, followed instruction that are posted under support to the letter. When I ran the update program, it gave me an HTTP error, then would not log on at all, log in information incorrect - but it IS correct. Manual install failed. Different USB port failed. Reboot failed. Checking device mangler drivers are loaded.I can talk to the Helix with editor - this is just stupid. I have a direct USB cable to Helix. Can talk to it, have all the proper software - and nothing.

And a few hours of time wasted. Getting a little frustrated. I use Chrome and I am not installing anything else for this.

First, thanks for all the help. A great community helps make a great product.

Every single app is closed except the updater. I have NO virus software on my laptop. I am going direct into the Helix, no hub, and I am using a quality USB cable. 

There was one anomalous event during the install. After installing the drivers and plugging in the Helix, Windows never informed me that drivers were being installed, as per the instructions. So I went to device mangler and the driver was loaded, so I continued. I just uninstalled the driver and re-installed it.  This time windoze did find and load the driver - update failed. Same as before, account information not correct. Why is there an off-line update if it does not work?

I have to go work. Back at this tonight.

Channelk,

I think you should reinstall all your Line 6 Drivers. I don't think the driver behavior while installing were ok at all.

If I were you, I'd reinstall both drivers and Line 6 Updater, reboot the computer and test if there's conectivity between Helix and your PC. 

After that, try to reinstall the update.

I myself did the ONLINE update, and it worked fine. I did it as follows (even thou there was no instructions to do that):

1 - Downloaded the latest drivers;

2 - Installed the latest drivers;

3 - Download the latest Helix Editor;

4 - Installed the latest Helix Editor;

5 - Backedup all my patches;

6 - Turned off Helix, turned on Helix and did a Global Settings RESET before update (don't ask me why, but I did it);

7 - Followed the instructions on Helix update page for ONLINE update;

---- That is one information that I think should be very useful to you...

Some USA A/B cables have a "filter" that stands near one of the ends (they're mostly in a cilyndric shape) and I found it to be giving me problems while updating my past POD HD 500x. I then tried to update the POD HD with a normal cable, without the filter and everything went well. Maybe you should look if is there any filter in the cable you're using.

(Sorry for my english writing as I'm a portuguese native speaker! I don't know if I explained it right)...

Regards, 

First, thanks for all the help. A great community helps make a great product.

Every single app is closed except the updater. I have NO virus software on my laptop. I am going direct into the Helix, no hub, and I am using a quality USB cable. 

There was one anomalous event during the install. After installing the drivers and plugging in the Helix, Windows never informed me that drivers were being installed, as per the instructions. So I went to device mangler and the driver was loaded, so I continued. I just uninstalled the driver and re-installed it.  This time windoze did find and load the driver - update failed. Same as before, account information not correct. Why is there an off-line update if it does not work?

I have to go work. Back at this tonight.

The Line 6 supplied cable does contain an in line RF Choke.

To the OP, are you saying that you are able to successfully log into your Line account directly from your Browser using Chrome, yet when prompted to do so during the installation routine, the Login using the same Username and Password pair is failing?

You may also want to try entirely unistalling all of Line 6's software from you computer -- apps, registry edits, drivers, everything! Then do a fresh download and install.

I'm a Mac pilot (so I may well be wrong), but I think I've read about some people logging onto their PC with Admin privileges which has enabled them to successfully perform the Firmware updates. Could be worth giving a try. Good luck.

I got it done. Not sure what step did it, but a full uninstall, and a serious clean up of junk on the laptop, including 5 or 6 other audio drivers that were no longer being used, then a few extra reboots - then reinstall - and it worked.

Thanks to all for the help. It was helpful. Its nice to see the Helix boot to 2.20

• Upvote 2

I had similar issues. Line 6 sent me this and that fixed it.

Make sure your Helix is plugged in directly to the computer. 
No hubs or secondary connections. 
You should also try to deleting the interlock file for the driver. 
Here is where its located: Go to the interlock file. The path is: C:\ProgramData\Line 6\HelixInterlock 
Close the updater, delete HelixInterlock file and re-launch the app.
  • Upvote 1

I had similar issues. Line 6 sent me this and that fixed it.

Make sure your Helix is plugged in directly to the computer. 
No hubs or secondary connections. 
You should also try to deleting the interlock file for the driver. 
Here is where its located: Go to the interlock file. The path is: C:\ProgramData\Line 6\HelixInterlock 
Close the updater, delete HelixInterlock file and re-launch the app.

Great post! I love when users post fixes or procedures directly from Line6 support. It saves lots of users a call to support and helps prevent churn and guesswork on the forum.