Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Dream rig : at home vs rehearsal vs LIVE setting

hichembell

While HD +DT implies to use  different presets and tweaking depending on the volume ( at home vs rehearsal )

does it imply to re tweak our patches and setting for live use depending on the room ...... in this case how match is it different   from rehearsal ones ?? I want to be psychologically prepared for such surprises before a show :s and since the HD includes infinite number of parameters am afraid to get lost just before the show and finally finding my self with a crappy sound 

any good or bad experience out there ??

I set my patches for live use. Rehearsal with the full band for me is at typically stage volume. For practicing at home, I use a similar but different set of patches for playing over headphones. The up side to having this second set of headphone patches is I can switch over to them and go direct to our PA in the event my DT fails for some reason at a show.

• Upvote 1

I set my patches for live use. Rehearsal with the full band for me is at typically stage volume. For practicing at home, I use a similar but different set of patches for playing over headphones. The up side to having this second set of headphone patches is I can switch over to them and go direct to our PA in the event my DT fails for some reason at a show.

Similar to Palico, but at home i play with the same configuration of rehearsal/stage but in Low Volume mode

similar but different ?? you mean same choice of pedals and amps but with full models ans tweaked for headphone use??

how do they sound compared while using the DT ??

similar but different ?? you mean same choice of pedals and amps but with full models ans tweaked for headphone use??

how do they sound compared while using the DT ??

Yes over the DT I use the "Pre" models and my master volume on the DT is usually only about 4 live. I also do use the direct out on the DT to the PA live.  So I copied the patch, made note of the amp model knob setting and switch to using Full models with a couple of tweaks to work well over headphones. Typically I use them for practicing hooked to my PC but have used them in Rehearsal when I had a tube go bad once. Also not a bad backup if I needed to go straight to the PA at a show, luckily I've never had to exercise that option. The non-DT patches aren't perfect but they will do in pinch and for practicing with a tone similar to the ones I use live.

As for the room itself when playing live, The only thing I tweak is the DT master volume and the Reverb knob.  That verb is not hooked to the HD500(x) so it adds a bit more. So it can work for quick global adjustment if the room is really dead, not often a problem unless playing outdoors.

I will say I'm not a purist when it comes to tone live. Yes I want good tone, but I'm not worried live about it being perfect. My performance itself will either make or break the show.

Great all those answers makes me impatient to have the DT 

you're saying that That verb is not hooked to the HD500(x)

you mean that even with L6 link i can still use the reverb inside the DT ??? 

Correct, at least on the latest firmware for the DT. It was integrated at one point but is not longer, sorry I don't know which firmware version number it switched. So if you Reverb on the HD500 patch and you turn the verb knob up on Channel A it adds a second reverb internal to the DT.

so in the last frimware no internal DT verb via the l6 link ??  

Sorry I meant over the L6 Link. Most of the knobs (Bass, Treble) etc... all just interface back to the POD. So when over L6 link you turn up the Bass knob it's the same as doing it on the POD. If you look at the POD when turning the knob on the DT you can see it change on POD screen as well. The Reverb knob used to be this way at one time but it was changed with a Firmware update. So the Reverb is independent of the POD over the L6 Link.  I use it to quickly add more reverb when I need it, although that is rare or me. Usually it's the opposite when I get lot of reverb and notice I've moved it by accident setting up and then I zero it to get rid of the extra since I have it already on my patch.

Correct, at least on the latest firmware for the DT. It was integrated at one point but is not longer, sorry I don't know which firmware version number it switched. So if you Reverb on the HD500 patch and you turn the verb knob up on Channel A it adds a second reverb internal to the DT.

nope, the reverb on the amp is the amount of reberb (mix) you set in the patch.

This helps you to keep the reverb you set in the patch (type, pre delay, etc) and set the mix manually proportionally based on the location you are playing into.

nope, the reverb on the amp is the amount of reberb (mix) you set in the patch.

This helps you to keep the reverb you set in the patch (type, pre delay, etc) and set the mix manually proportionally based on the location you are playing into.

as you said. NOPE.  On version 2.0 the Reverb Knob does NOT control the mix for your patch. It did indeed control the mix on 1.0 but not 2.0. 

Sorry my video skills could use a lot of work. On the video the button FS3 you can see turn on when the reverb is set on.

as you said. NOPE.  On version 2.0 the Reverb Knob does NOT control the mix for your patch. It did indeed control the mix on 1.0 but not 2.0. 

Sorry my video skills could use a lot of work. On the video the button FS3 you can see turn on when the reverb is set on.

interesting, for me it's working differently, this means that my dt25 got a 1.0 firmware version?

does it sound good by just simply using low power mode ??

i don't know if low volume mode exclude tubes or what else, i just know that the volume is easier to tune, the paste of the sound is different unfortunately, but this is the only way i can play at home.

Volume is 50% on the pod and 50% in the amp.

Volume depends also from the channel volume and mixer in the patch itself.

interesting, for me it's working differently, this means that my dt25 got a 1.0 firmware version?

Correct, if you have Firmware (flash memory) 1.0. I indeed works as you described. Unless you updated your DT it likely has 1.0. I would bet any DT you buy likely has 1.0 installed. You have to get MIDI to USB cable and then you can see the version as it was on my video at the end on Line 6 Monkey.

i don't know if low volume mode exclude tubes or what else, i just know that the volume is easier to tune, the paste of the sound is different unfortunately, but this is the only way i can play at home.

Volume is 50% on the pod and 50% in the amp.

Volume depends also from the channel volume and mixer in the patch itself.

Low Power mode uses power amp modeling internal to the DT when engaged and not tubes. So you have a similar tone to using the tube section but at much lower volume. From the manual

"Low Volume Mode utilizes HD technology to pick up the slack and fill out the tone with rich power amp modeling"

• Upvote 1

Correct, if you have Firmware (flash memory) 1.0. I indeed works as you described. Unless you updated your DT it likely has 1.0. I would bet any DT you buy likely has 1.0 installed. You have to get MIDI to USB cable and then you can see the version as it was on my video at the end on Line 6 Monkey.

do you think it worth to update? what are the changes over this reverb working?

do you think it worth to update? what are the changes over this reverb working?

According to the update page.

"

• Configure each Voicing independently per channel with*:
    • Any 1 of 30 HD Preamps/Tonestacks
    • Any 1 of 4 Negative Feedback Loop configurations
    • Any 1 of 17 Cabinets
    • Any 1 of 12 Reverbs with unique Decay, Pre-Delay, and Tone settings
  • Configure XLR Direct Output Mic Emulation 

• Reverb “spillover†between Channel A and B"

Most of that is for if you use the DT standalone you can load to it with the DTEdit (third party) more model/cab etc... So if you like the Reverb knob integrated, I would stay at 1.0. With 2.0 you can off-load the Reverb to the Amp if you wanted to open up a slot on you patches. Or as I said before, personally I use the Reverb knob as a global Reverb for the room as it will say on at that setting no matter what patch I'm using.

• Upvote 1