Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Vol Knob and Auto-Swell Fixes ...... do we have to wait for a new FW ??

benifin

Hey L6

Are we going to have to wait for a FW update to fix the Vol knob issue  and  have an auto-swell that works  [ ie: like an auto swell ]  or is a hot-fix  maybe in the works ?

Honestly ..... kind of shocked  / surprised that FW 2.20 shipped with the Vol knob bug because that didnt exist pre-FW 2.20   and a pre-announced and anticipated  Auto-Swell that doest really work in any real useable way ... the auto-swell from my POD 1.0 worked / works perfectly so I assumed it would at least be that good ?!?!

Ben

I'm choosing, maybe naively, to give them the benefit of the doubt on the new auto-swell, and say that it isn't actually broken on delivery. I suspect that it probably works exactly like it's supposed to, but that the guy who designed it had a different idea of what that should look like than many of us did. I'm still trying to figure it out myself. I don't know that I expect a "fix" because I'm not sure they'll consider it broken.

The volume control thing is different to me though. It was a known issue before release and it's a bit baffling to me that it would not be addressed before launch. Many around here find it trivial and maybe that was Line 6's assessment as well, but it's quite a niussance for how I use it and I suspect I'm not the only one. I do hope it will be addressed with a patch soon; one of the beta tester guys here on the forum alluded that something was in the works, so hopefully that plays out.

I have a suggestion for anyone who wants to use the auto-swell block. Do yourself a favor and create a loop by playing groups of individual notes (solo lines) at different tempos. Then start fiddling with the controls while your loop is playing. I cannot emphasize enough how much easier this will make it for you to find usable settings for this effect. I found this method mandatory with the auto-swell. Playing a line, reaching down to make adjustments, and playing again, was taking way too long.

I did kind of chuckle at the graphic for this effect which shows a simple two knob auto-swell. This is anything but, it is a fairly complex implementation and the Helix could probably use a version that is more like a two knob pedal.

Yeah .... I wasnt exaggerating either about the POD 1.

I had the original POD 1  which I later updated with the  2.2  ROM Chip you could buy.

I cant remeber what it was called in the Original POD, but it had a "swell"  /  "auto swell"  and from memory it had 1 control and it work brilliantly / perfectly ... excalty as it "should".

Hopefully the L6 peeps with drag one out and just code that in to the Helix ... hint ... hint  :)

Ben

Hey L6

Are we going to have to wait for a FW update to fix the Vol knob issue  and  have an auto-swell that works  [ ie: like an auto swell ]  or is a hot-fix  maybe in the works ?

Honestly ..... kind of shocked  / surprised that FW 2.20 shipped with the Vol knob bug because that didnt exist pre-FW 2.20   and a pre-announced and anticipated  Auto-Swell that doest really work in any real useable way ... the auto-swell from my POD 1.0 worked / works perfectly so I assumed it would at least be that good ?!?!

Ben

It will ALWAYS be a FW update.  How else would you fix it?  There's no such thing as a "hotfix", nor is it a very good idea to have such a thing.  There's one FW update process.  It may be a minor FW update such as a 2.21, but it will still go through the same install process (I assume).

I can understand how the volume knob issue may have been undiscovered until very late in the process, and they wanted to fulfill the promise of delivering the FW update in March.  The Auto-Swell is a mystery though.  It doesn't appear to be a bug but rather the way it was designed...and that's bothersome.

To be honest I continue to be concerned about Line 6's QA process.  That's the reason I seldom upgrade anything when if first comes out.  They seem to be building something of a bad reputation in this regard.  I realize they get a HUGE amount of pressure from the installed base to get these FW updates out, but maybe we (the users) might want to be a bit more patient...and they need to be a bit more diligent and both of us will benefit.

Quite frankly, even it it is a minor FW update I would rather be patient and allow them the time to get it right rather than send out a FW update that fixes these issues but introduces some other bug.  Even though it's a minor update they still need to go through the entire process of functional and system testing to ensure it's solid.  I'll wait for that to happen.

It will ALWAYS be a FW update. How else would you fix it? There's no such thing as a "hotfix", nor is it a very good idea to have such a thing. There's one FW update process. It may be a minor FW update such as a 2.21, but it will still go through the same install process (I assume).

I can understand how the volume knob issue may have been undiscovered until very late in the process, and they wanted to fulfill the promise of delivering the FW update in March. The Auto-Swell is a mystery though. It doesn't appear to be a bug but rather the way it was designed...and that's bothersome.

To be honest I continue to be concerned about Line 6's QA process. That's the reason I seldom upgrade anything when if first comes out. They seem to be building something of a bad reputation in this regard. I realize they get a HUGE amount of pressure from the installed base to get these FW updates out, but maybe we (the users) might want to be a bit more patient...and they need to be a bit more diligent and both of us will benefit.

Quite frankly, even it it is a minor FW update I would rather be patient and allow them the time to get it right rather than send out a FW update that fixes these issues but introduces some other bug. Even though it's a minor update they still need to go through the entire process of functional and system testing to ensure it's solid. I'll wait for that to happen.

Well, I was one of the people who gave feedback on the new Auto-Swell during beta, and they did refine it based on those sorts of comments. I don't thinks it's nearly as unusable as people are making it out to be. It just takes some patience when setting it. The old auto swell on the POD wasn't perfect, either. These things can be tricky, because it's a balance of having it be responsive so it swells when you want to and doesn't trigger when you don't want it (which happened sometimes pretty easily with the earlier Line 6 auto swell).

I mean, there will always be things to correct in the firmware - that happens. I think it if people want changes in the effect they should send Line 6 examples of what they're looking for. I sent them A/B samples comparing the new effect to the Autoswell on my Strymon Möbius, for example. I was actually able to get them pretty close (actually thought the Helix was a bit smoother in some respects).

Well, I was one of the people who gave feedback on the new Auto-Swell during beta, and they did refine it based on those sorts of comments. I don't thinks it's nearly as unusable as people are making it out to be. It just takes some patience when setting it. The old auto swell on the POD wasn't perfect, either. These things can be tricky, because it's a balance of having it be responsive so it swells when you want to and doesn't trigger when you don't want it (which happened sometimes pretty easily with the earlier Line 6 auto swell).

I mean, there will always be things to correct in the firmware - that happens. I think it if people want changes in the effect they should send Line 6 examples of what they're looking for. I sent them A/B samples comparing the new effect to the Autoswell on my Strymon Möbius, for example. I was actually able to get them pretty close (actually thought the Helix was a bit smoother in some respects).

Phil...

Would you please post some settings for the auto swell that you've had success with?

I understand that different guitars, picking techniques and all will make a big difference.

But there are so many variables that even a patient person - which I'm decidedly not - will have trouble dialing it in.

Thanks!

Yes, can you share some of your successful settings. Call it what you like, there is something wrong when a majority of folks are finding it difficult to dial in the Auto Swell. It should not be so difficult. I have a buddy that has an HD400, and I am able to use the Auto Volume feature to get exactly what I would expect out of this older/less expensive unit.

not sure what the problem is here but this is my "Swell advice"

using the adriatic swell, set the following:

Time =0

Feedback = 0

Noise = 0

BBD size = 8192

Mix = 0

Rate = 0

Depth = 0

Level = 0dB

Headroom  = 0dB

Which leaves you with a standard 2 knob swell effect...I use about -65 for threshold and about 2.5 seconds for attack.

not sure what the problem is here but this is my "Swell advice"

using the adriatic swell, set the following:

Time =0

Feedback = 0

Noise = 0

BBD size = 8192

Mix = 0

Rate = 0

Depth = 0

Level = 0dB

Headroom  = 0dB

Which leaves you with a standard 2 knob swell effect...I use about -65 for threshold and about 2.5 seconds for attack.

This didn't work for me at all, alas.  Different pickups, different output, different touch on the strings, who knows?

At any rate, we're inquiring about the AUTO-SWELL.  

well blow me down and call me Mary...

when I wrote the post above I thought the only place auto swell had been actioned was in those delays....I did think that was odd but its wasnt an issue for me.  I happened to find the Swell in the compressor section yesterday (Facepalm).

apologies for ignorance!