Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

How many db of boost can the Helix's FX loops handle?

Gone_Shootin

I've been trying to find specs on the Helix's FX loops where it states how many decibels of boost they can handle. I like to use one of my Wyldes Overdrives in front of an amp with the volume cranked. This is fine in front of a tube amp, but I don't know about the Helix. I know with my TC Electronic G-System, I couldn't, because it could possibly damage the unit.

There's a lot of headroom on the Helix's inputs. The guitar input has 123dB of dynamic range, and the converters are rated for 114dB (Line 6 does some magic with that input to squeeze out some more headroom). I believe that all the inputs are using the same converters, so even at 114dB, that's quite a lot of headroom. You should be fine. You don't really risk damaging anything, but if you push it too hard, you'd start to hear the clipping. But the thing is, the 1/4" returns can actually accept a signal that's up to line level, so you really shouldn't come close to clipping with a regular guitar pedal. There are some effects blocks that can be pushed into "virtual clipping" if the input is too hot, so that's the thing I'd be concerned about more than anything.

Ok, that's what I was looking for. On top of not being modeled, I also modded both of my Wyldes to run at 18v. So even if they were modeled, it's likely that there wouldn't be an 18v option on the model. And I'm not sure how many db of boost a Wylde Overdrive is capable of, but it's nowhere near 114, lol. It's probably only 20 or 30db.

Thanks, all!