Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Use same preset to drive either FRFR or guitar power amp/cab?

marmatkat

Hi folks. Brand new LT owner here, and really enjoying it so far. I'm evaluating performance options, and I have a question re: using the helix to drive the power amp and speaker of a guitar amplifier. I understand I'd run from the 1/4" out to the amp's fx return (or power amp in), and that I'd probably get best results with presets that only have a model's preamp, rather than a whole stack (preamp, power amp, and cab). What I'm wondering is how to create presets from my existing ones that only have preamps. I don't see a way to split a stack into separate preamp +. Does this mean I'd have to duplicate every preset, and then manually add the equivalent preamp, deleting the stack that it replaces? Thanks!

Not sure if I understand your question correctly. If you now have presets with Amp+Cab blocks (single or separate Amp and Cab) and you just want to have the Preamp, you just add the Preamp to your current preset (given there is enough DSP). You would be able to bypass the Amp+Cab block to keep it 'clean' and if needed you can copy the amp settings to the Preamp.

You could even set your presets up to compare the Preamp -> Guitar power amp -> guitar amp speaker to the Helix Amp+Cab models. Helix footswitches can be assigned to switch between several blocks and parameters. You may even split the path from the Preamp to output to the 1/4" outputs and the Amp+Cab to the XLR outputs. In that way, you could hook up a FRFR to the XLR and compare both options. It must be noted that the FRFR option is not the same as an 'amp in a room' but rather reflects the sound of a recorded (with a mic) amp and cab. For me, the latter has become my preferred setup, but both options can be made to sound great and as always YMMV.

Hope that that helps

I think the best to way do what you are looking for is like you said, duplicated the preset and replace the amp and cab with pre-amp only blocks.

However, I think using the full amp models still sounds and feels better in every situation I have tried with physical power amps.  So don't think you have to run it a certain way, try both and see what you like.  Then all you'd have to do would be to remove the cabs in your existing patches.