Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Latest Firmware Is Very Harsh (high Gain Tones) Pod Hd500

juaquito16

Hey guys,

For many months I have been practicing and recording using my Pod hd500 (Firmware 2.10) and i've tried many Custom tone high gain presets like ENGL,Treadplate and more but All of them sound very harsh and dirty without any "body", the opposite of a thick and warm tone. Each preset that I downloaded from custom tone sounds very bad.  

Now I have just installed 2.0 (Rollback) and all those high gain tones which sounded very bad and harsh now sound excellent and very thick!.I'm a little confused, Perhaps the presets were intended to be used in the firmware 2.0?. Anyway they sound 100% different, now i am very happy! My recordings sound very good and clear! I'm in love with my pod again.The only thing that I miss the last firmware are the SOLDANO models... 

There is a problem with my pod? Any one of you has the same problem? What can i do? 

My Gear:

Schecter hellraiser c1 fr ---------> Pod HD500--------> Shure Shr840 Headphones/M-audio BX8D2 Studio monitors

Pod settings:

-Studio/Direct.

Thank you for read!

custom tone is always a starting point only... someone could have made a tone on some very dark sounding speakers and uploaded it... and on a brighter setup it will sound harsh.

in any case... my guess would be that flashing the update probably changed an output mode that was disagreeing with you and updating to 2.1 should be safe...

why not back up your tones and give it a try.

Early on the Uber was  what is  now called Line 6 Elektric. It was brought back by popular demand as a new mp when the original Uber was changed dramatically as part of a firmware update. Firmware sometimes can introduce significant change in the tone relative to the guitar being used. Compare the uber with line 6 Elektric and you will feel the difference Even thought they were originally intended to model the same identical AMP.  For those who have Variax, the latest update significantly changed the sound of many models, that many are really unhappy. I'ms starting to think this firmware update thing were models are completely reworked is a waste of time. If you dig deep you will notice that some effects also changed. Aside from new effects and amps and bugs, it's purely personal and speculative whether the models really improve with every firmware. It's almost the same as the arguments about good tone! 

• Upvote 2

Thank you all for responding to my post!

As I said before, I am really impressed with the big difference between 2.0 and 2.10. I understand that among the updates there may be a small/big  difference and a lot of things will probably change, but to be honest my POD sounds really harsh with the latest firmware. I'm scared that maybe in the next update my pod sounds bad and that I won't be able to enjoy the benefits of the new one. For now I will continue using 2.0...

Feel free to comment and leave your opinion! 

There shouldn't be any difference in the overall sound between those two versions. A few new amp models were added in 2.10, and they added support for the StageSource speakers, but other than that nothing changed. If you're hearing differences, it's probably because some setting is changed on your HD500.

• Downvote 2

AGREE.

There shouldn't be any difference in the overall sound between those two versions. A few new amp models were added in 2.10, and they added support for the StageSource speakers, but other than that nothing changed. If you're hearing differences, it's probably because some setting is changed on your HD500.

• 5 months later...

Off to the real topic, even on the latest update on Spider IV 75 watts amp. The latest firmware has made the clean and dirt sound too transparent to the point that even when I dial the gain at 12 o'clock, i can hear the harshness of any distortion effect I tried to use. Before I made the update, I wrote down my settings. Unfortunately it didn't sound the same anymore. I will attempt to revert to the original firmware. I can live w/ that.

• 1 year later...

totally agree with Juaquito, messed with it so much that I had send to repair shop due to after 2.62 update and contacting Line6 support that I needed to. Ending up being charged 100.00 for a simple reset, which I could have done only if informed that's how I get beyond the ver 0.00 lock up bug.

Tones are harsh now, I been trying to rollback until I find the right update, I will try 2.00 next.

Thanks,

totally agree with Juaquito, messed with it so much that I had send to repair shop due to after 2.62 update and contacting Line6 support that I needed to. Ending up being charged 100.00 for a simple reset, which I could have done only if informed that's how I get beyond the ver 0.00 lock up bug.

Tones are harsh now, I been trying to rollback until I find the right update, I will try 2.00 next.

Thanks,

This post was started 2, maybe 3 firmwares ago. 

Have you checked your Global EQ which was added in this update. I don't know if it is on or off after you initially install the update, or what the settings are if it is on after the initial upgrade.

There was no GEQ in that firmware, 

@ Gearhead, tried everything.. Turned global EQ on and off, set inputs manually (Guitar and Variax on 2, this helped a little) started patches from scratch, saved old and opened. nothing worked. So now I got V2.02 loaded, it appears warmer (it does not have Global EQ), which is a good sign. I used  tom run my XLR out to the church PA and 1/4 out to my in-ear monitor and it sounded fine before, now it has sounded like metal on metal, grating. especially on anything with overdrive, distortion of any kind. very thin. like it lost it's modeling and only sending 'pedal' efx???? LIne 6 support could be more helpful and provide better support details/documentation/warning on this issue, surely this has happened to a larger group. Using same guitar, same gear.

my bad pianoguy... yup output is studio direct. 2.02 seems to be better, have my amp and my inear monitor going and WAY better than 2.62. Something is different and not sure what it may but I am not touching that again. I play way to much and spent over 4 weeks.

raf, 1 xlr sounds fine in my experience. Only issue is occasional ground noise, depending on where I am playing. I play a wide variety of music from light to edgy, so HD500 has been awesome in that respect. I am waiting on what is next after the 500X, not enough difference to upgrade.

raf, 1 xlr sounds fine in my experience. Only issue is occasional ground noise, depending on where I am playing. I play a wide variety of music from light to edgy, so HD500 has been awesome in that respect. I am waiting on what is next after the 500X, not enough difference to upgrade.

You would need to put a mono fx block at the end of the chain ...

At rehearsal we noticed how crappy the sound through one xlr was , using the left mono jack output solved the problem , same patch no tweaks ...

Raf