Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Old Man Happy

R_Z1

Greetings.  First let me thank you all for your support in my quest to get a Helix.  As an old guy who no longer plays in a band, I've always enjoyed my Pod X3 in my home studio.  I never did much with it other than click my short board for presets.  On occasion, I'd tweak a reverb or something simple, but never save it.  Now, it's time I stepped up to the plate and tried my hand as this beast.  Just hope I can tame it like you guys have.

I love playing games to get money to buy something.  So, I put a bunch of stuff on ebay including my Pod X3.  It all sold in a matter of days.  Next thing I knew I was within a few hundred bucks of owning a Helix.  Plus, I was able to move out some things that just collected dust. Now someone else can put them to good use.  To everything turn turn turn . . .

Anyway I digress.  I called my rep(Jeff Hollman) at Sweetwater and he made me a heck of a deal.  Not only that, but he said they make sure the unit is up to date on the OS so hopefully that means it will come installed with latest version.  What I didn't know was they give you a second year of warranty free which is awesome. 

I'll either have it this Saturday or possibly Monday.  I can not wait to plug it in and watch all the pretty lights.  ;-)

I am a happy old man!

Thanks again.

Ron

• Upvote 3

Well, I'm north of 60, and just stopped playing out regularly at the turn of the year - but in the last year I put around 100 gigs on my Helix.  If you were happy with the X3 yer gonna be thrilled with the Heilx - it's the first of many modelers I've used that finally got it no-shiite right - sound, feel, interface, it just rules.

Clear your calendar - you're gonna be kinda distracted for awhile.  And welcome to the family, have fun!

• Upvote 1

50 here (playing since I was 7) with the Helix. I love this unit and have a hard time disconnecting from it when playing. I have some of Glenn DeLaune's patches and the new Bogner Xtacy is phenomenal. I can cover a variety of styles if I want to with it and it takes my buckers or single coils easily. The only "live" playing I do anymore is worship so for my all out shred fests I am jamming to my own party at home.

I have no desire for a board anymore and I have been a tone snob, tube snob, boutique pedal snob for years. To me the Helix is that good not to mention I throw my guitar in my mono bag and the Helix in its bag and I have all I need to go with tube tone for days.

• Upvote 1

65 here and still gigging and having an absolute blast with my Helix.  All I can tell you is watch a lot of videos of how people have used the facilities of the Helix to construct patches.  It's probably the best way to get a handle on things.

The good thing is, at this age, the kids are grown and moved out, no wife to accommodate (if you're lucky), live in my own house with my dog (who doesn't mind if I'm playing) so I can play with the Helix day and night and never bother anyone!!!

Hello Ron and welcome to our old folks home. :lol: I'll turn 60 in June. Oh yes, we have youngsters here too (still wet behind the ears) but some of them are quite bright and full of helpful ideas on how best to use Helix! 

Thanks for the kind words.  I turned 65 this past January.  I'm not a shredder (or fast lead player) even though I watch enough videos to try and learn.  But I have fun playing and pick up one of my guitars every day(I have a few.  ;-)  ).  I also play bass which is another great reason to own the Helix. 

I work from home, so upstairs in my office/studio, I keep 2 of my guitars by my side at all times.  Downstairs, I keep one guitar in the den.  Yes the kids are grown and gone, still have a wife, but I am lucky there.  She's the one who supports my G.A.S. and pushed me to get the Helix.  She plays golf twice a week, I play guitar every day.  Fair trade off.

I know the Helix will be a learning curve, and I've watched some videos, but I've not found anything that walks me through the steps that I can understand.  I know they are out there, and I'll find one that sinks in.  Looks like the unit is coming on Monday.  I'll be ready!

I am 65 and purely a hobby guitarist / soundguy. I have used Line 6 products for about 8 years now and am still amazed by the breadth and flexibility of the tones you can get with the multi-fx units (started with X3 Live) and Variax guitars (started with V300). I also love helping local start-up bands get their stage show together with my M20d and Stagesource speakers. My Helix Rack/Control and JTV-59 get played almost daily and 'the band' (me and a buddy or two) still gets together regularly in my basement studio. Kids are grown and gone, wife is very supportive, and much fun is had by all.

If you haven't done so already a good preparation for Monday would be to download and peruse the Helix manuals and 'cheat sheet'.

http://line6.com/support/manuals/helix

I'm 50, and have been using Line 6 to create my sound since 2000 - 17 years to date, and counting.

It's a brave new world, but Helix 'makes sense' in how it works in most aspects, so you will be up and running with it in no time.

Plus the resources available like this forum, YouTube videos... lots out there to help.

But nothing is better than sitting and dialing the dials yourself, to see and feel the results.

Happy Helix-ing (it's now a verb!)

63 years old here and still a professional musician, though it's gotten harder to make a living at it over the years. Nothing to do with my age; everybody's struggling more these days (regardless of age), I won't bore you with the many reasons why. But I can't afford to retire, so I'll do it until I can't physically do it anymore or nobody will have me.

Anyway, loving the Helix! I've been off and on with modelers and tube amp/pedal-boards over the last decade and a half, but this is the first modeler that leaves me feeling that I don't need any more analog and/or tube gear anymore. This thing does practically everything I need it to do and then some. Enjoy!

46 in June. Ive always kept my age attached to my sig and have often wondered why more dont. Its probably the first thing i wonder about when reading other's posts. I think it helps perspective. I dont know.

What I didn't know was they give you a second year of warranty free which is awesome. 

Hmmm.....I was given two extra years of warranty for a total of three. Im sure thats what you meant.

46 in June. Ive always kept my age attached to my sig and have often wondered why more dont. Its probably the first thing i wonder about when reading other's posts. I think it helps perspective. I dont know.

Hmmm.....I was given two extra years of warranty for a total of three. Im sure thats what you meant.

I'm pretty sure Sweetwater told me it was a second year free. Was your three years from Sweetwater?

It was. One year on the helix, and then an additional 2 from sweetwater. Maybe you got it for a little less $$ or something? Demo maybe? Maybe theyre only willing to give a year on a demo? Maybe we just got different deals.

Wow, what a club. I just turned 66 a couple days ago, 4/20, seriously! I've been using my Helix to play in my band and occasional gigging. I still work full time, but I'm going to retire in a year and I hope to be able to spend more time playing and gigging. We do covers and originals and will probably start to do some recording soon.

When I went to the Helix all day seminar at Line 6 headquarters a while back, I was expecting to be the only old guy. Actually it was mostly old guys. Kind of weird. I wonder why we're attracted to high tech and the young guys not as much? Or so it seems.

I wonder why we're attracted to high tech and the young guys not as much? Or so it seems.

Because our backs don't like lifting those heavy tube amps anymore.  Well that and, at least for me, the mystique and allure of tube amps has long dissipated. All I see when I look at one is something heavy, unreliable, impractical and tonally inconsistent.