Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Wish I could develop a convincing Randy Rhoads preset

357mag

This is one thing I would like to accomplish on my HD PRO X. I know there are some Rhoads presets on the Custom Tone site but they just don't work for me. Maybe they aren't interacting in a favorable way with my Les Paul. I've actually come much closer emulating the Yngwie tone (even with my Les Paul too).

I've also looked at a few YouTube videos too but so far the tone has eluded me.

So if you guys can post some tips on things which you feel are the most important elements to capturing his sound with my HD PRO X, please post your suggestions.

Yeah, some of those youtube "let's analyze just the guitar" videos really shine a light on how unattractive his tone was. Or, well, before I get hate mail... not unattractive, but very different.

I would not agree with his tone being unattractive. His tone on the Diary album was fantastic. But his tone on the Blizzard album got a little buzzy indeed. And his live tone was very good indeed.

I think his tone was way better than Stevie Ray for sure.

I never did like Stevie Ray or his tone much. Many other Strat players had a much better sound than he ever did. 

In a band context he ruled his eq zone.

+1. Just setting up a tone based on [insert favorite guitarist here] without the context. Often sounds like trash to me.  Tone for playing alone is not nearly the same and doing with in a group. Live vs recorded is also big differences. The recording engineer might be shaping the EQ after the fact a lot more than is often realized.

I am not saying that he wasn't a good player. Nor am I saying that his tone did not blend well with the rest of the band. 

But when you listen to just his part(s) - it sounds nothing like it appears to sound like when mixed with the other parts.