Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix Vocal Recording Capabilities?

gfpropst

Hey all;

I've been looking at getting a Helix soon, and with the newly released LT, I'm a little confused on what to go with.

My main hold up is the Vocal recording capabilities, I'm not too knowledgeable regarding vocal recordings, but if anyone that is can chime in that'd be great. I know the LT doesn't have a mic preamp, though I'm curious if the original Helix's vocal recording capabilities are worth the extra cash versus just getting an audio interface such as the Scarlet focusrite to record vocals through? While I know I can get a focusrite for much cheaper than the difference between the LT and the original, the original does obviously have a couple enticing features in addition, but I'm mainly curious if the vocal recording capabilities of the helix would leave anything to be desired?

In addition to recording guitar, bass, and variax I use Helix to record vocals as well as voice overs (I host a podcast). My Scarlett interface sits in the closet now. I use minimal effects in the Helix while recording and add all that stuff in post. I've been very happy with this setup. I have presets for everything. Everything stays connected at all times. This makes it very fast and easy to record quickly.

• Upvote 1

The mic preamp in the Helix is pretty good! I also use it, at times, as a live fx tool for my singer, with the added benefit that she doesn't have to worry about fx switching.. I prefer recording vocals with my UAD Apollo, but I have recorded through the Helix several times with very good results

When I first got Helix I decided I'd use it as a backup interface and keep my main interface, (A nice MOTU that I've used for years).

After doing some experimentation, I sold the other one.

Every vocal, every guitar, and some of the basses on this album were recorded through Helix.

I printed some FX and put some on later.

Some of the acoustic guitars were recorded direct with IR and some miked.

https://peterhamm.bandcamp.com/album/protest-songs

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1