Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Good settings for chord playing?

gwenavirre

I use chords a majority of the time and the clean sounds are good for those, but a majority of the other effects sound horrible when playing chords.  I just got the amp yesterday and I've been playing guitar for less than a year so I have a lot to learn yet.  Any tips and advice would be appreciated, thanks!

Dialing down effects or gain to to clean up chords is a good place to start. Clean sounds plus modulations, reverb, and/or delay are always good places to start. A lot of of heavier rock uses power chords instead of full open or barre chords, but slightly pushing a Vox or Plexi style amp can give you nice break up and enough definition in bigger chords. 

Too much gain= thinner sound. Use more of a crunch distortion

I've learned to use the Post EQ to tone shape. It works best when defining your final sound.

FX options. Depends on the music style. Some go very wet fx levels and some are dry or low mix levels. Which FX are you using that give you bad sounding FX on chords?

Haven't played too much with the individual settings too much yet, I've been having a blast downloading cloud effects.  I've been dialing back the gain on many of them and have been happy with the results so far.  It doesn't work for all of them like the 8bit one.  It is neat, but only works with individual notes (like Smoke on Water or the Top Gun Anthem)

On many of the synth fx it is better to run a moderate mix level. Use more of a cleaner amp model to drive those. Add gain by using a distortion or overdrive option before the amp model in the preset. Some of the synthy effects are too weird for me. Might work for other players. I also like the Whammy effect. You can also use more than one modulation, synth, delay in a preset. For my presets that do, I use FX3 and FX4 in many combinations. Those with nice ethereal reverbs active can be fun.