Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Is There A Way (i.e. Different Tubes, Etc) To Minimize Master Volume On Mkii 212?

Scaryfast

I have a Mkii 212 which I love, but like many, I have issues if the models have the channel volume below 50% or so.  Some people experience a dropout of volume...I experience a "POP".  However, if I have the channel volume at 50%, the overall volume is SO LOUD...unless I'm playing in a big room, it's unbearable.  Has anybody found a way to work around this by possibly adjusting the master volume potentiometer, software, or tubes to bring the overall volume down just a bit so we can run the required 50% channel volume to eliminate the pop or dropout?

Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, you need to get something like a Power Soaker, Super Soaker... I have the THD Hot Plate (purple one) which I have attached to the back of the amp in always-connected mode and it works great, allowing me to turn up the Master volume past 2 (usually no more than 5 / i.e. halfway) without shattering the windows.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 5 months later...

i solved this problem with a simple volume box in the effects loop (preamp out / power amp in).  it is a simple effects enclosure with a volume pot that let's you throttle back the preamp volume before it hits the power amp.  i have my master volume at about 9:00, and the channel volumes on my presets around noon, and can roll the output volume back to whisper quiet with negligible tone loss, and there is no pop when i change channels.

these things cost $20-30, or you can easily make your own for less than half that.

note:  this is NOT an attenuator -- it does not 'swallow' power before it hits your speaker.   attenuators are a whole nother thing, cost a LOT more, and suck tone when trying to bring a big amp to bedroom volumes.

Vick Audio makes one called a 'tube tamer'.  or look for 'guitar volume box' on ebay.  look for something that has an input, output, and single knob that costs around $20.

• 2 months later...

I have an SV 112 and an HD 100 with a bogner 212 cab. An easy fix is to go through and reduce all of the channel volumes of the patches you use on your gig. 

At first I was having to run the master at about 1, with my channel volumes around 90%. Over time I lowered all my channel volumes down to between 15% and 25%, and now I run my master at about 6 on the same gig. The sound is better. 

• 5 years later...

With my MKII HD 100, I went into the menu settings and turned down VOL from 100% to 30%. I have had great success with this technique. It allows me to turn up the channel and master volumes to a reasonably room volume and still retains tonal character.