Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix rack floor controller- no display

theredguitar6

Not a great start to life with the helix.

2nd live gig last night -

Set everything up - booted Helix rack and floor controller lit up but didn't get any LED's, scribble strips or preset display.

Arggh .... after much fiddling with cable, 5 or 6 reboots - still nothing.  The rack was fine and working normally. I then realised that the foot controller buttons were actually working ( switching snapshots, preset etc) as i could see this happening on the rack ....but absolutely no visual feedback on the board.

30 mins before start of gig, i decided i couldn't risk it. and fortunately  i was only 10mins from home.  I went back and grabbed pedal board, amp etc etc.

Just as i was leaving home i thought i'd grab another cat5 cable.

Got back to gig - and thought i try the cable first of all --- and BINGO --- it all came back.   Did the gig and no issues.

So i was thinking " that's bad ! 2 weeks life span for the cable!  ..... however i've tried the original cable this morning and it's fine!!! ....also checked it on a cat5 tester ..it's fine!

so now i'm really worried that i don't know what caused this? ...and don't want to have to take a spare rig on every gig.

Anyone else had this?  do we think it's rack related or floor controller related? 

I guess the 20mins or so it took me to grab the other gear meant the rack had been off for that time and maybe it somehow cleared a problem.

Worried.....

So you swiped out the cable?

It's possible the cable wasn't seated properly or there was some junk in there.

I've been using Helix Rack and Control exclusively for over a year, NEVER had this issue at all.

Hi Peter,

No, i checked the cable connection at both ends maybe a dozen times and have tried to replicate that today by moving and 'rocking' the RJ45 connectors but it's all fine.  The weird thing is that the board 'backlighting' worked and indeed so did the footswitches - just 'apparently' no feedback from the rack to the board. At this stage i don't know whether to suspect board or rack.  Might backup again and try a global reset.  

That's never happened to my Rack/Control pair either.

One possible explanation, pure speculation on my part, is that an internal ribbon connector may be loose. I don't know that this is the design of the Control module, but Line 6 often uses ribbon connectors in their products to join major internal components. It's conceivable that the ribbon connector for the display in your Control unit is loose or not seated properly. Perhaps some minor movement or relocatoin of the Control unit first unseated and then later reseated the ribbon connector.

I know - I'm grasping. But If this happens again that's the first thing I would check.