Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Tuner

Bangha

If there genuinely are differing opinions on how fast and/or granular it needs to be, for whatever reasons, let users control that with global settings, so we can stop torturing the devs with our conflicting desires.

• Upvote 1

If there genuinely are differing opinions on how fast and/or granular it needs to be, for whatever reasons, let users control that with global settings, so we can stop torturing the devs with our conflicting desires.

I'm a dev myself (different market), but our company does really hate denial people. We usually need all kind of constructive feedback, not just people trying to defend their toys and treating other guys like idiots. I'm sure it works the same at L6. Proof is they are keep improving and developing, despite the fact you were seeing fanboys saying it was perfect after day 1. :)

• Upvote 1

I'm a dev myself (different market), but our company does really hate denial people. We usually need all kind of constructive feedback, not just people trying to defend their toys and treating other guys like idiots. I'm sure it works the same at L6. Proof is they are keep improving and developing, despite the fact you were seeing fanboys saying it was perfect after day 1. :)

Well, I beta test for them, so I definitely have no problem telling them when something isn't working... All I've been saying in this thread is I don't have anything to tell them, because it works fine for me... It's hard to identify or track down a problem when you have people giving vastly different descriptions of what's happening, I think.

Maybe posting a screen movie can clear things up?

One recording of someone experiencing problems and another of someone who's happy with the tuner.

By comparing the two we can see if there's different behaviour in units or if it is subjective

Maybe posting a screen movie can clear things up? One recording of someone experiencing problems and another of someone who's happy with the tuner. By comparing the two we can see if there's different behaviour in units or if it is subjective

That might be easier than my idea of getting two people in a room to figure out what's different.   But this could work too as we'd end up in the same place.

Well, I beta test for them, so I definitely have no problem telling them when something isn't working... All I've been saying in this thread is I don't have anything to tell them, because it works fine for me... It's hard to identify or track down a problem when you have people giving vastly different descriptions of what's happening, I think.

Phil, are you having a giggle at our expense and is it going over my head? Trolling  believe they call it online? If so, well played sir! If not,  please be a dear and tell them about the rest of us? The issues are there, I'll be happy to lead the coalition of the tunerless and gather all the required data they may need.

Thanks

Maybe posting a screen movie can clear things up? One recording of someone experiencing problems and another of someone who's happy with the tuner. By comparing the two we can see if there's different behaviour in units or if it is subjective

Good idea.  Let's get a few youtube videos posted.  Would love to see both sides - if people are seeing "jumpy-ness" like I am, and if it looks different for phil_m when he is using it.  

Phil, are you having a giggle at our expense and is it going over my head? Trolling  believe they call it online? If so, well played sir! If not,  please be a dear and tell them about the rest of us? The issues are there, I'll be happy to lead the coalition of the tunerless and gather all the required data they may need.

Thanks

Not sure why you would think I'm trolling... I'm just being honest. I don't exactly know how many shows I've played with the Helix since Line 6 changed the tuner, but I imagine several dozen. And I've used the Helix tuner for each and every one of them. All I'm saying is that though some are calling the tuner unusable, that doesn't match my experience, because I'm obviously using it... There are no clip-on tuners up my sleeves! :lol:

Not sure why you would think I'm trolling...

Your persistence in contradicting a consistently growing number of users that find the Helix tuner inadequate, by reminding us your tuner works great was the first clue. Your questioning if able musicians might be using the tuner improperly followed. The disparaging remark that you can't put every single alternative up for popular vote fueled the fire. The last nail was in the coffin was, after long discussion concluding that we would really like the tuner to be more stable, yet another rebuttal+my tuner works great.

Please accept the fact that the tuner does not work for many of us. Turning a blind eye to what clearly is an issue does not benefit anyone. Contradicting us incessantly doesn't help either. Your point of liking the tuner has come across throuought the discussion.

I now understand that you are a beta tester for line 6, and maybe unconsciously you feel the need to side with the team you are a part of, or simply feel attacked. That would make perfect sense. Maybe you own Yamaha and Line 6 I don't know. Whatever the case may be, the constructive criticism from many professional musicians concerning the tuner is geared towards creating a better product that will further brand loyalty. It is not a personal attack, or an attempt at devaluing your involvement in Helix development.

Just as a closing thought. May I ask. Do you have much experience with other digital tuners? If so, which ones and do you find Helix tuner to be just as stable, or even more so than those other models?

I'm just being honest. I don't exactly know how many shows I've played with the Helix since Line 6 changed the tuner, but I imagine several dozen. And I've used the Helix tuner for each and every one of them. All I'm saying is that though some are calling the tuner unusable, that doesn't match my experience, because I'm obviously using it... There are no clip-on tuners up my sleeves! :lol:

With all the due respect, my personal opinion is that if you have nothing to say about that, because you are not experiencing the same issues and/or because you have no clue about why other users are getting such crazy different experiences (that what you said before), you should not post at all, especially if you are trying to convince everyone else that the issue it's not on the unit, but on my side. That is really annoying, because it's suggesting we are trolls and you the "honest" guy. Even worse, if you believe you are the guy to trust because you are a beta testers. No offense, but means nothing really. We do have dozen of beta testers reporting very opposite problems. That is a very typical situation in beta testing. That is where you turn on your debugger and try to replicate the issue. Problems here is, since it's not an operational issue/bug, it's hard to give the L6 devs a sequence of actions, to replicate the issue on their side. So I do understand, totally, that it's a pain in the butt to solve these kind of things. Still, doesn't means it's all in our minds. But I honestly doubt L6 guys are 100% happy with the tuner reliability, not talking about on paper resolution, precision and stuff like that. Precision can be totally useless if, for some reason, there is a bottleneck before or after the tracking algo, or something preventing the signal analysis to be processed and sent to the GPU as quick as possible. Who knows. A tuner is a very basic device for the final user...it's not really like learning to play a saxophone. They should work properly with the last of the noobs as with the best of the jazz nerds, with the cleanest pick style in the galaxy.

Also, I never said it's unusable. Over here seems just erratic along different guitars (aka different kind of signals and frequencies). So in my opinion that should be the area to R&D; making the tuner less spoiled and more reliable with the "on the fly" tuning.

Don't take this personal, but it's probably the third thread about same topic, and every time it's the same story. It's like bees protecting the hive... :)

Peace.

I just wanted to say that despite my comment regarding Exxon climate change scientists I hold PeterHamm and Phil_m in high regard. At the risk of sounding like I am pandering I have to say they are both extremely technically competent and ceaselessly help out their fellow users. Their posts have been enormously helpful to me on multiple occasions.  They provide their time and beta testing on behalf of the user community to Line6 for little or quite possibly no compensation. We need them on our side on this and other issues as they provide testing, feedback, and have a direct conduit to Line6. They are an important link between the user community and Line6 and we fare better when they are actively enlisted in solving a problem. They may legitimately not be seeing these issues on their rigs or not find the jumpiness to be problematic even if they are somewhat influenced by a protective stance towards Line6.  I hope that the feedback they are receiving encourages them to experiment with and pursue this issue with the tuner further with Line6 despite the fact that they may feel like they are under attack. I don't think that is anyone's intention here and it is ultimately not constructive or conducive to getting a fix. Conversations on the forum do have a way of escalating sometimes when people feel strongly about an issue but I would be sad to see the collective benefit a fix would bring be sabotaged by any of the posts regarding this issue. Call me sentimental but I feel a strong sense of community with the users on this forum as well as Line6 and I think together we can get this issue straightened out, even if it is not impacting everyone.

Your persistence in contradicting a consistently growing number of users that find the Helix tuner inadequate, by reminding us your tuner works great was the first clue. Your questioning if able musicians might be using the tuner improperly followed. The disparaging remark that you can't put every single alternative up for popular vote fueled the fire. The last nail was in the coffin was, after long discussion concluding that we would really like the tuner to be more stable, yet another rebuttal+my tuner works great.

Please accept the fact that the tuner does not work for many of us. Turning a blind eye to what clearly is an issue does not benefit anyone. Contradicting us incessantly doesn't help either. Your point of liking the tuner has come across throuought the discussion.

I now understand that you are a beta tester for line 6, and maybe unconsciously you feel the need to side with the team you are a part of, or simply feel attacked. That would make perfect sense. Maybe you own Yamaha and Line 6 I don't know. Whatever the case may be, the constructive criticism from many professional musicians concerning the tuner is geared towards creating a better product that will further brand loyalty. It is not a personal attack, or an attempt at devaluing your involvement in Helix development.

Just as a closing thought. May I ask. Do you have much experience with other digital tuners? If so, which ones and do you find Helix tuner to be just as stable, or even more so than those other models?

I have never really said I doubt that people are having issues with the tuner. I have always said that it works for me, and that's that. I've tried to throw in a few suggestions, and I'm sorry if those sound like I'm questioning someone's experience. The fact is I don't know anyone's level of experience here. There are commenters who post here who are pretty much beginners, so I don't want to take for granted that everyone simply knows the basics. So I apologize if some comments come off as patronizing or whatever - certainly not my intent.

I would also not say I'm contradicting you. You are sharing your personal experience, and I'm sharing mine. Is yours more valid than mine or others? I mean, I'm not a professional guitarist in the sense that it's what I do for a living, but I certainly have done many paid gigs over the years, including paid studio work.

As far as other digital tuners, far too many to list... I mean, I've been using Line 6 stuff since the POD 2.0 days, but I've also use Boss stuff, and I've used a number of different apps. I do think the way the Helix displays the fine tuning bars is a bit unique among tuners... I noticed on app I sometimes use that the "green zone" for being in tune starts at -10 cents and goes to +10 cents... Quite a big difference!

Anyway, I think perhaps the best thing people having problems could do is perhaps create videos of the tuner not working like they'd like, open a support ticket, and share those with Line 6. That is probably the fastest way to get your issue seen by the right people. DI always Line 6 operates from a place of "leave your egos at the door", so they certainly are always looking to improve things.

I wouldn't say the Helix tuner is 'unusable', but it's definitely more jumpy and nowhere near as stable and quick to tune with as my Turbotuner, Boss TU12 or any of my clip on tuners. At least with the update the tuning resolution was greatly improved, even though I have to hit the string a bunch of times before I'm confident that I've brought the string into tune. It's annoying enough that I still use my Turbotuner.

The thing about all my other tuners is I can tell when I'm turning the knob at the right speed to end up at the centre after seeing the how fast the tuner is moving towards 'perfect'. The fine tuning part of the Helix display seems a bit random while the coarse section isn't smooth enough, which means the "movement of the tuning indicator" (ie. tuning 'vector') isn't fluid. So it takes more effort to get into the 'tuning zone', and then once I think I'm in tune I still need to manually 'average' the tuning point by hitting the string a bunch of times to make sure it's jumping approximately evenly above and below the central point.

This is not an unfixable problem, but if none of the beta testers can reproduce the problem and they all think it works perfectly, then it's going to take much longer to get it sorted out.

phil_m ,  would you mind making a short vid with your phone of YOU tuning on the Helix. 
I love my Helix...and I love the tuner display because it's so big and bright. 

And I would LOVE to see a guitar tuned on it where the tuning bars are stable and not jumping all over the place.  I envy you that your unit is doing that.  Would you mind doing that? 

This has gone into the Twilight Zone. I can't think of many members of this forum who have more consistently doled out assistance and insight than phil_m. To call him a troll simply because he isn't on your band wagon is egregious. Do tuner threads need a "Safe Space - No Contradictory Opinions Allowed" disclaimer?

• Upvote 4

I agree, Phil is anything BUT a troll. Uncalled for.

My experience with the tuner is fine by the way. My 69S is very stable. My 59 is pretty stable, but depends on how well I install my strings to keep them from slipping. The locking tuners on the 69S make it very consistent from one set change to another.

I don't do anything special when tuning, usually on the bridge PU when I do it. I tune up before each set, does not pose a problem or take a long time. Had my Helix since October 2015, progressed through all the FW updates, on 2.20 now. Just another data point for the discussion.

Have other "regular" guitars as well, but haven't gigged with them for years since I got my second JTV, and that was with the HD500, not Helix. Don't know if JTV going via the VDI would have a different experience than regular guitars using the Guitar Input. Haven't had issues with the regular guitars at home, but no real time pressure there, so not the same.

Dave

I have never really said I doubt that people are having issues with the tuner. I have always said that it works for me, and that's that. I've tried to throw in a few suggestions, and I'm sorry if those sound like I'm questioning someone's experience. The fact is I don't know anyone's level of experience here. There are commenters who post here who are pretty much beginners, so I don't want to take for granted that everyone simply knows the basics. So I apologize if some comments come off as patronizing or whatever - certainly not my intent.

I would also not say I'm contradicting you. You are sharing your personal experience, and I'm sharing mine. Is yours more valid than mine or others? I mean, I'm not a professional guitarist in the sense that it's what I do for a living, but I certainly have done many paid gigs over the years, including paid studio work.

As far as other digital tuners, far too many to list... I mean, I've been using Line 6 stuff since the POD 2.0 days, but I've also use Boss stuff, and I've used a number of different apps. I do think the way the Helix displays the fine tuning bars is a bit unique among tuners... I noticed on app I sometimes use that the "green zone" for being in tune starts at -10 cents and goes to +10 cents... Quite a big difference!

Anyway, I think perhaps the best thing people having problems could do is perhaps create videos of the tuner not working like they'd like, open a support ticket, and share those with Line 6. That is probably the fastest way to get your issue seen by the right people. DI always Line 6 operates from a place of "leave your egos at the door", so they certainly are always looking to improve things.

Reading rough the thread, our tuner woes have been consistently disregarded. I'm sure no ill-will is intended, but it has been the case. I've nothing against those whose tuner works fine. What's more, it would be brilliant if it were a vast majority as that would rule out the issue. That has not been the case is nor the point of this discussion.

As I've stated a few times already, a good tuner would not be controversial. I started this thread asking if I was alone in having issues with the tuner, as it appears, it is a widespread situation. Had it been just me, I'd chalk it down to a faulty unit and have it fixed. It has turned out to be many users finding the tuner anywhere from sub-par to unusable. I assumed if it wasn't just me, the thread would run along the lines of "OK, many people have issue with a crucial Helix component." and then hopefully Line 6 would issue a fix for it and then we would all be happier and better off with a superior product. To my surprise, and amusement I must admit, it has become a bit more of an artsy film noir/comedy. Not sure how or why. All we want is a good, stable tuner.

Phil, my question about the Helix tuner, to be precise is. Is your Helix just as stable as every other tuner you have used before?

As for the drama of it all, I for one do not feel anyone has been, or should be offended by any of this. We are discussing a flaky tuner. There are way more important things to be offended about. If it helps bring some peace and quiet I for one am willing to mud wrestle Phil. Winner is right concerning tuning stability, loser gets to walk barefoot overboard a carpet of guitar string clippings, sharp end up. There, the gauntlet has been thrown down. Are you up for that Phil? €20 pay per view, we are all winners.

Damn! This thing has gone on longer than the "Lord of The Rings" trilogy!

Can someone just post a video of the "jumpy" tuner, then at least everyone will be able to see the problem in the wild.

All this squabbling about "mine works just fine" and "mine is crud, I have to use a strobe!", is an endless roundabout!

Funny, I was recording today, and when I used a clip on tuner that works GREAT for me when I use it live with my acoustic, something sounded "off".

I retuned with the Helix tuner and everything sounded better together.

Ya can't win for losing'...

All this squabbling about "mine works just fine" and "mine is crud, I have to use a strobe!", is an endless roundabout!

I agree... I had a long response written to one of the other posts above, but then I realized it was all stuff I've pretty much said elsewhere and perhaps several times already. It is what it is at this point, and nobody posting here (at least in this thread) has any power to actually change it one way or the other. Presenting your observations to Line 6 in a straightforward way is still the best way to get things worked out.

Sorry but, why they would need videos? For what?

Do they need a proof of what we are saying? Or maybe you guys want to start 3 hundreds more sub paragraph about "how you had your volume in the video? how you had your tone? which pickup you were using? which guitar cable are you using? You are picking wrong! You should pick that way, in the decay, no in the attack....etc etc etc...." Because, apart showing the issue (explained with easy words by everyone, dozen of times already), a video isn't giving them any kind of extra information or data about how to solve the problem. Unless we don't send them our guitars and our Helix, so they can repro locally and make a case study for every single guitar. Seriously? 

Again, for me it's not "unusable": It's just spoiled to some guitars and totally a mess with others. But since this seems a never ending story, I'm personally done.

I could even use my 5$ tuner on the iphone, and getting less erratic tuning.

Peace everyone.  :)

Funny, I was recording today, and when I used a clip on tuner that works GREAT for me when I use it live with my acoustic, something sounded "off".

I retuned with the Helix tuner and everything sounded better together.

Ya can't win for losing'...

That is exactly the point though Peter, you were recording. Unless you were in a very expensive studio paying by the minute there is no time pressure there and the tuner does a fine job under those circumstances. Try the 30 second test and see if you can get in tune. Unless you play a 1-string guitar there is absolutely no way you are nailing it with the Helix tuner.

I agree... I had a long response written to one of the other posts above, but then I realized it was all stuff I've pretty much said elsewhere and perhaps several times already. It is what it is at this point, and nobody posting here (at least in this thread) has any power to actually change it one way or the other. Presenting your observations to Line 6 in a straightforward way is still the best way to get things worked out.

Thanks for the recommendation on how best to get this addressed. I am curious phil_m, not that I really expect an answer as you are probably not at liberty to disclose this, but is your opinion about the tuner shared by the Helix team over at Line6? When I see the beta testing team digging in their heels in this case I can't help but wonder if this is a collective opinion between Line6 staff and the testers; a bit of an echo chamber effect. 

I believe it is in the users' and Line6's best interest to fix this. What better way to demonstrate that items as complex as amps and advanced effects are being modeled correctly than to make a tuner that is at least as good as the majority of inexpensive alternatives in the marketplace. A tuner has a visual component that makes it very clear when it has been designed properly. It is the marketing neon sign blinking on the Helix.  I would be surprised if the large clear tuner display was not viewed by L6 as one of the most visible selling points for the Helix. It sure caught my attention initially for all the right reasons and unfortunately is not delivering when I most need it to.

That is exactly the point though Peter, you were recording. Unless you were in a very expensive studio paying by the minute there is no time pressure there and the tuner does a fine job under those circumstances. Try the 30 second test and see if you can get in tune. Unless you play a 1-string guitar there is absolutely no way you are nailing it with the Helix tuner.

But I use it live... with NO problems whatsoever... and I'm kinda picky when it comes to tuning. 30 seconds? I'm picky enough that I can only tweak my tuning in 30 seconds. No matter what tuner I use, I allow myself a good solid 2 minutes before I start.

Thanks for the recommendation on how best to get this addressed. I am curious phil_m, not that I really expect an answer as you are probably not at liberty to disclose this, but is your opinion about the tuner shared by the Helix team over at Line6? When I see the beta testing team digging in their heels in this case I can't help but wonder if this is a collective opinion between Line6 staff and the testers; a bit of an echo chamber effect. 

I believe it is in the users' and Line6's best interest to fix this. What better way to demonstrate that items as complex as amps and advanced effects are being modeled correctly than to make a tuner that is at least as good as the majority of inexpensive alternatives in the marketplace. A tuner has a visual component that makes it very clear when it has been designed properly. It is the marketing neon sign blinking on the Helix.  I would be surprised if the large clear tuner display was not viewed by L6 as one of the most visible selling points for the Helix. It sure caught my attention initially for all the right reasons and unfortunately is not delivering when I most need it to.

The only things I've read from the development side regarding the tuner have been the things DI and Ben Adrian have said here and over on TGP. And the last thing I remember reading from Ben was something akin to, "everyone has different tastes in tuners, and there's no way we can make everyone happy, so we made it easy to use third party tuners with the Helix for this very reason" (me paraphrasing). Don't think it means that the tuner is "off the table", but I don't know that they think there's something wrong with it. So that's why I've been saying if people are convinced it's acting like it's broken, they should make that clear to Line 6. And posting the same comments over and over on the forum really isn't the best way to that.

u4my7.jpg

Reading rough the thread, our tuner woes have been consistently disregarded.

I don't really have a dog in this race, but your statement is not true. I believe it was the June '16 update if memory serves, that Line 6 responded to their customers and provided the additional granularity they asked for in the tuner which is now available in the tuner display. So they have not disregarded customer feedback - just the opposite.

I understand the additional granularity appears to have had the unanticipated side affect of jumpiness. I would fully expect that to be addressed in due time, if one can go by history as a prediction of the future.

I don't really have a dog in this race, but your statement is not true. I believe it was the June '16 update if memory serves, that Line 6 responded to their customers and provided the additional granularity they asked for in the tuner which is now available in the tuner display. So they have not disregarded customer feedback - just the opposite.

I understand the additional granularity appears to have had the unanticipated side affect of jumpiness. I would fully expect that to be addressed in due time, if one can go by history as a prediction of the future.

Just started this thread 2 days ago, I am referring only to the thread's participants and content.

I do hope you are right though. further refinement of the tuner would be wonderful.

My "other tuner" is a Boss GP-10. It's more stable but less sensitive. I don't get increments in cents like the Helix.  i think the Helix is very responsive to what is happening when you twist the tuner and pick the string, with corresponding pitch response (sinusoidal stable). Not sure you can have both sensitive AND stable--I'm not a mechanical engineer, but there is some oscillation when you tighten the string.  L6 could make two global settings: "Hysteresis Mode" for those of us who want to tune fast and don't care about a couple of cents either way, and "Sensitive Mode" for users who need tight tuning (like in the recording studio).

• Upvote 1

The only things I've read from the development side regarding the tuner have been the things DI and Ben Adrian have said here and over on TGP. And the last thing I remember reading from Ben was something akin to, "everyone has different tastes in tuners, and there's no way we can make everyone happy, so we made it easy to use third party tuners with the Helix for this very reason" (me paraphrasing). Don't think it means that the tuner is "off the table", but I don't know that they think there's something wrong with it. So that's why I've been saying if people are convinced it's acting like it's broken, they should make that clear to Line 6. And posting the same comments over and over on the forum really isn't the best way to that.

u4my7.jpg

Thanks for the info! What do you think are the best methods to convey this to Line6 at this point? To me the jumpiness seems so glaringly obvious I can't imagine that they do not already perceive it as a problem. It is really difficult to gauge how many users are affected from the forum but I would think the number is substantial. How can we expedite this fix and move it up in the queue? I think an Ideascale submission might well get as many negative votes as positive because there is also such a substantial portion of the user base that due to their particular guitar(s) or the fact that they use the Helix casually at home or in their studio are not feeling the pain here.

The tuner display on the Helix is so nice I just can't see an external tuner as being the solution here. It might sound overly dramatic but I really do think it undermines consumers' overall confidence in the device when basic core functionality cannot be rendered properly for a wide range of users. Not only can we not get an excellent tuner but it is doubly frustrating that to some extent all efforts to convey the urgency (I use that term loosely) and even the existence of the problem seem to have been stymied. Anyway, I know it sounds like people are belaboring the point but to me it just comes down to not wanting to have to use an alternative tuner when the potential for this one is so great. It is like having the ice-cream truck driver drop your cone as he hands it to you. The tuner is tantalizingly close to being excellent but it simply does not measure up right now during a performance. I am not without hope though, Line6 was responsive to the complaints about granularity and I see no reason why they would want to leave the job partially complete. We just need to convince them that it is not quite there yet. I hope they will get around to fixing this for everyone, not just a subset of their users, sooner rather than later.

Great article and it applies to how we do intonation as well. I have read through several of these types of articles over the years and they make some good points. I just hope we are not back to implying that the problem with the tuner is people don't know how to use it properly.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the info! What do you think are the best methods to convey this to Line6 at this point?

I second this question. How do we best go about reaching out to L6 to make them aware of this matter?

...oh, forgot to mention...

IY7KbzeY9m3eM.gif

It was already clear that's the only reason you come on these threads. The pictures weren't necessary., but it's always nice to see Murray.  :D Now, back to your own business.

Here's an idea... what if it was more like a strobe tuner as an option? I really think most folk's problem is that it's actually a more accurate tuner than most, and they're seeing a higher degree of accuracy, and therefor a higher degree of hysteresis. I say this having A/Bd the Helix tuner against my PolyTune and my Strobostomp.

When you use a strobe tuner, there's a LOT more information to see - and you realize that you'll NEVER get the guitar in perfect tune for more than 500ms. It's just physics. I think it would help a lot of users adjust to this reality.

Respectfully,

Dave