Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Cheap FRFR for my Helix

ZSchneidi

Hey guys,

I'm thinking about getting myself a frfr monitor for my Helix but I wont like to spend too much money on it.

I have no experience with these kind ob speakers.

What wattage would you recommend for Home use? I use my Helix basically in home recording only.

What speaker diameter should i go for ? I like a thick sound wall like i get from a valve amp and such.

So maybe at least 10" to 12" i guess ?

would you recomment going for cheap monitors for around 130€ or so.

Or is there any difference in tone quality compared to monitors at around 250€ ?

Tanks guys...

I'll second (or is it thirds) the Altos. I run the TS10 ( the older version of the TS210) and have been very happy with them. I can walk into a gig with my Helix/cables in my Novation backpack, my guitar in one hand, and the Alto in the other. One trip from the car AND good sound.

YMMV

I use one or two JBL EON610s.

But note that a FRFR worth playing Helix through won't be that cheap. Its actually a lot to ask for a speaker cabinet to be FRFR and clean at high volumes. With Helix you have to be sure there's no distortion in the amp, it has to all come from Helix.

I currently run my Helix into my computer or lets say into my Focusrite Scarlett Audio Interface and pass the signal right to a pair or Prodipe

active Studio Monitors.

They Sound great but they have small speaker membrane so they don't move to much air therefor i think they sound a bit thin.

I want the Helix sound a bit more powerful and wider especially in the base and mid frequencies.

But the problem is that i can't run them on to high volume levels because of my neighbors.

Do i get this with lets say 10" speaker ? Or would you recommend taller diameters ?

Has anyone here ever compared to mono to a stereo setup ? Would you even recommend running two smaller monitors

in stereo over a taller one in mono ?

I'm  not sure which way to go

You mention home recording use. I think you need to decide whether you're mostly going to listen to full productions you're trying to mix, or turning it up to more like stage levels, where volume and "cool" guitar sound are more important than an uncolored reference to help you make good mix decisions.

In the studio case, there are a million options out there, in every price and size, and everyone will give you different recommendations.

That's true of more FRFR/PA-style monitors too, but the choices are very different.

There are forums focused completely on studio gear, but TBH, this isn't one of them, no disrespect of anyone intended.

You are absolutly right.

I guess i have to decide what way is the more appropriate for me.

I like the more powerfull sound of amps especially loud driven 12" speaker.

But I play most of the time at home and that kind of setup would lead to alot of trouble i think.

So I will take into consideration to upgrade my Studio setup with 2 additional monitors for a much greater sound base.

If you can swing $1000 range, Xitone makes the MBritt model powered coax speaker that has a built in Matrix amp.

Ask for the open/closed back custom hybrid version.  You can run it open or closed back with an easily removable rear

panel section.  It's killer!

I use one or two JBL EON610s.

Same here. Another advantage of using a PA frfr'ish speaker is that you can also listen to music through Helix USB while you practice over it if you desire. Other things to consider when buying a speaker are: Do you just play at home? If you play out, is this speaker your primary amplification device or just used as a monitor? Do you play other instruments (7 string, bass, vocals, etc..)

Also take into consideration your playing postion relative to your speakers and computer (if using one).

If you are seeking a high level of imaging in your sound field while at your computer, you will want a pair of high quality near field Studio Monitors. These will work equally well for pre-recorded material as for what you will be playing through your Helix and computer.

For a bigger more room filling sound, you can add either an actual amp in the room, or a pair of main monitors if you space can accomodate either.

As has been mentioned there are myriad choices, so as the saying goes YMMV.

glideman, how does that cab do for playing back CDs etc? Is it built for that, or more optimized for guitar? How would it do for acoustic instruments, or bass?

Xitone is probably more optimized for guitar.

Still think I could run anything through it, though. Has 5 dsp eq modes.

Seismic Audio is a coaxial monitor. You can run anything through it.

I'll weigh in on this, now that I've spent a bit of time at an experiment related to this topic.

A little while back I decided to get a 10" FRFR to use at home - meant to help me dial in my sounds (especially the one(s) I use in my small live situations) without the need for the treble trim that seems to be required at the board.

And higher gain sounds weren't sounding good.

I wasn't terribly surprised; I have gotten a good long way with using my direct into computer set-up, which is hooked to a very decent broad frequency computer speakers.... but there's a definite difference, and rightly so.

I didn't want to go full L6 and similar; way overkill for my needs, though I really wish I was able to splurge on something like that.

But I want something less expensive, which I can ultimately double up on in order to work in stereo again at home, while also working the tones for FRFR.

And my goal hasn't been for live monitoring and such, though it would be good to know that I have that option, should the need arise.

The Alto TS210 is often mentioned and much-liked. So I've kept that in mind.

But I also spent some time unofficially demonstrating Helix at my local retailer (Long & McQuade branch, for my fellow Canadians) and my contact there set it up with a Yorkville 10" powered speaker.

Sounded great!

Skip forward; I brought one home - a YX10P, which new in box is $470 (CDN); not super-cheap, but far less than half of the StageSource lines.

I instantly heard what I expected at home; the need to trim the top end.

Good sign; means this is responding similarly to my friend's live PA, which is a set of 12" Mackie powered speakers hooked to a very nice SoundCraft board. Very crisp setup; nice and clean, lots of headroom.

But I couldn't help myself; I kept wondering about the Alto - so I found a retailer in the city that had one in-stock, and brought it home to try out.

That was Sunday afternoon, and I got it home that evening to try.

Great looking, simple, really nice.

Hooked it up and ran the same experiments.

The TS210 was back in its retail box and shipping carton by the late evening of that same day.

For reference; the Alto here is pretty universally $329 new in box, compared to the Yorkville YX10P being $470 new in box.

With that said, I'll spend that extra without hesitation; my result was THAT much better, cleaner, and so much better resembled the results I get live with my friends Mackie/SoundCraft setup.

Compared to the Yorkville, I was surprised to find the Alto sounded 'messy' - looser in a way, and had an odd sort of boominess that I couldn't explain (primitive de-coupling done to keep relatively level playing field - see below).

There was something in the midrange which translated very differently with the Alto - not as 'sweet,' over-all a bit 'harder' sounding.

Makes me wonder what I would have thought of it, had I not had the YX in my ear already.

Very surprising to me in all, with the great track record the Altos have with many other users.

Yorkville is a brand which is very closely tied with the Long & McQuade music store chain.

Yorkville Sound also happens to be the distribution and warranty handler for Line 6 in Canada.

These products are available elsewhere in the world, though how common I don't know.

But at least, I can say for my fellow Canadian modeller device users in particular, definitely give the Yorkville speakers a listen - I'm using it wedge-style on the floor, but with foam 'floaters' to de-couple (primitively, but adequately) and get a pretty 'pure' result.

The depth is surprising to me, for a very compact enclosure and 10" speaker system.

Its program power rating is 200 watts - I haven't had to push it hard to see where this type of wattage takes it, but at home I run it with quite a lot of gas still in the tank.

Just my personal observations to date.

• Like 1

So on the Xitone, do you end up using high cuts like with an FRFR setup, or more not, like a guitar cab?

I use the same patches I would pump through any other FRFR into the Xitone.  There's some new stuff I've programmed since it

came in, but I pretty much use the same philosophies I did with other patches, regardless of whether I use Low cut/High Cut.

There is actually a mode on the Xitone MBritt that cuts off the horn driver/tweeter if you want to load some patches that are built for

guitar cab.  There's also a DSP mode on it where the Tweeter is cut off, but it's still FRFR (just a little warmer since the horn driver is off).

It's a VERY versatile cab for $1000.00 shipped to my door.  Throw in the convertible open/closed back option and you can use it for

all kinds of different feels/sounds.  and it can be LOUD (or soft).

Do not know about the cheap part but a pair of L3t's from Line 6 is what I have. I use this as my HiFi with my music playing from iTunes through the Helix to the L3t's connected via L6 link. The guitar is always plugged in so at any time I select a backing track and on the very same speakers join in with my lead. It always sounds brilliant and the backing tracks of course are also played back in Hi Fi through the same two L3t's. I do not think I could have done better. I can clearly hear any small change in effect or cab implemented on the Helix.

L3t employs two 10 inch speakers which also responds well at lower volumes. And is truly brilliant when you start to use the 1300 watt you have available per cabinet.

Only time I will change is when Line 6 brings out an upgrade or new similar units.

Finally I just want to mention that since upgrade to version 2.20 on the Helix my guitar surely cannot sound better. Clean with tone and character. Right now I am just absolutely happy for the first time since getting the Helix and L3t's in March 2016.

I play mainly with my Fender Elite fitted with Kinman Mark Knopfler noiseless pickups. (did not like the original Fender Elite noiseless 4 pickups)

Has anyone here been using the Fender Fortis F-15BT (or 12BT) with their Helix?   I'm trying to find an alternative to the Mission Engineering Gemini 2 Studio.   I am in Canada and the G-2-ST does not have CSA approval and possibly will not get into Canada.   The Fender Fortis F-15BT features look quite good.   I'd like to hear about what some Helix users are finding with these speakers.   Thx.

The Yamaha THR-10C does a pretty good job at FRFR on the clean settings. Brand new is $300, but I've seen used ones at ~$150.

I discovered this by accident when my Line 6 L2T that I use for rehearsals had to go in for service. Substituted the THR-10C and sent the 1/4 out on the Helix to the input. Pretty decent sound--and plenty loud enough for the rehearsal space. And it runs on batteries or power supply.

The AuxIn on the THR10C bypasses the Amp Selection, DSP, Tone Stack, and FX Knobs. Only the Aux Volume Knob is active. You only need the dual L&R 1/4" Male to 1/8" Stereo adapter cable to go from Helix 1/4" Outs (Main or FX Sends) to THR10C 1/8" AuxIn. Sounds even better than the THR10C's Clean or Flat settings.

THR10 looks gorgeous and may be a good solution.

Currently i am going for a monitor setup due to the fact that i can't run to much volume.

I ordered a pair of M-Audio BX8 and they are pretty much useless. They have a basically no mid range.

So i ordered a pair of M-Audio M3-8 these are 3 way speakers and i hope i get the mids i want.

The FRFR speakers im afraid would maybe move a bit too much air so that i would get into a lot of trouble

with my neighbors. Maybe if i am going to jam sessions more often i go with a FRFR monitor for only that purpose.

The AuxIn on the THR10C bypasses the Amp Selection, DSP, Tone Stack, and FX Knobs. Only the Aux Volume Knob is active. You only need the dual L&R 1/4" Male to 1/8" Stereo adapter cable to go from Helix 1/4" Outs (Main or FX Sends) to THR10C 1/8" AuxIn. Sounds even better than the THR10C's Clean or Flat settings.

Or you can use the Helix Headphone out with a 1/8 stereo cable and a 1/4 to 1/8 stereo adaptor - it is what I use for house practices with a microcube (except the microcube is too boxy sounding)

Or you can use the Helix Headphone out with a 1/8 stereo cable and a 1/4 to 1/8 stereo adaptor - it is what I use for house practices with a microcube (except the microcube is too boxy sounding)

1/4" Stereo extension cable out of Helix's Headphone Jack works justs fine to a 1/4" stereo to 1/8" stereo male adapter. used that exact routing the first time I connected my Helix to the Yamaha THR10C's AuxIn. I prefer keeping the Helix's headphone jack dedicated for my Headphones, so I can quickly put them on to check things (imaging, tones, etc.) and still have the Yamaha connected on a set of FX Sends. Once I dial in tones on the Yamaha (near field) I can quickly isolate it or Bypass it and listen to either set of Main Monitors (JBL LSR308s or Yamaha DXRs) as I choose. To adjust the THR10's volume, I'll use its AuxIn knob, or leave that as set and use the FX Send's Level for up to +6db Boost, or add a Gain Block for up to a +12dB Boost. Either of these I can easily control right from the Helix without reaching for the THR10C.