Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Pickup Switch for JTV-59

Does anyone know if this is the updated switch for the JTV-59?  A while ago, I thought I read that L6 had updated the switch because the original ones were failing.  My switch is starting to fail.  Just wondering if this one is the same or better.

Thanks!

http://www.fullcompass.com/prod/249357-Line-6-50-02-9331?utm_expid=.m9SVQa56Ry2YH1KHTbShhQ.0&utm_referrer=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.fullcompass.com%2Fsearch.php%3Fparent%3D471%26search_simple%3Dtrue%26txtAll%3Djtv-59

Don't specifically recall if the 59 switch was redesigned. I had the initial issue with mine in 2011, they were delayed due to reports of issues, and they actually remedied whatever that initial issue was by grabbing the guitars not shipped out yet. But as with things done in a rush, had soldering issues -- I got my 59 in May 2011 (ordered in Oct 2010), and it showed up with "the switch problem", they paid for the return and remedy - corrective soldering, and it has been fine ever since - 6 years on....

I periodically scan Full Compass to see what they have for L6 parts - the only place besides L6 that I've found. They're located in Madison WS, not too far from me in Iowa.... Anyway, whenever I see a relatively inexpensive spare part for my JTV-59 or 69S, I pick it up. I bought one of those JTV-59 3-way switches just to have on hand. I also buy spare knobs, etc. It's handy for that. Bought a replacement pearloid faceplate for my 69S, fit perfectly and looks great.... Just recently started seeing spare knobs & such for my Helix as well (spare knobs), and picked those up, too... If they don't immediately have your item in stock, it can take a while for them to ship, but they do come through...

Dave

• Like 1

It's the current version. And the one you have in yours would also be current.

The problem with the early, early ones were purged early on. I made certain of that.

Any found in early guitars still out there that were returned for servicing, that still

had them, got replaced with the current version.

If it's failing, then it may be nothing more than an oxidizing solder point. Solder

points in electronics can oxidize and fail over time. And with switches and jacks

with mechanical stresses, even more so. Normal wear and tear.

stevekc,... always on the ball, thanks.

Don't specifically recall if the 59 switch was redesigned. I had the initial issue with mine in 2011, they were delayed due to reports of issues, and they actually remedied whatever that initial issue was by grabbing the guitars not shipped out yet. But as with things done in a rush, had soldering issues -- I got my 59 in May 2011 (ordered in Oct 2010), and it showed up with "the switch problem", they paid for the return and remedy - corrective soldering, and it has been fine ever since - 6 years on....

I periodically scan Full Compass to see what they have for L6 parts - the only place besides L6 that I've found. They're located in Madison WS, not too far from me in Iowa.... Anyway, whenever I see a relatively inexpensive spare part for my JTV-59 or 69S, I pick it up. I bought one of those JTV-59 3-way switches just to have on hand. I also buy spare knobs, etc. It's handy for that. Bought a replacement pearloid faceplate for my 69S, fit perfectly and looks great.... Just recently started seeing spare knobs & such for my Helix as well (spare knobs), and picked those up, too... If they don't immediately have your item in stock, it can take a while for them to ship, but they do come through...

Dave

I love Full Compass.  I live about an hour and a half away as well and love the obscure parts you can find.

Yes it is the updated switch  - dated Jan 2012

195794.jpg

Well, look at that.  I never thought to read the writing on the picture.  Thanks!

It's the current version. And the one you have in yours would also be current.

The problem with the early, early ones were purged early on. I made certain of that.

Any found in early guitars still out there that were returned for servicing, that still

had them, got replaced with the current version.

If it's failing, then it may be nothing more than an oxidizing solder point. Solder

points in electronics can oxidize and fail over time. And with switches and jacks

with mechanical stresses, even more so. Normal wear and tear.

stevekc,... always on the ball, thanks.

Thanks!  It probably is oxidation.  I (sorry to say) haven't played this guitar much lately.  I'll try a little contact cleaner first to see if that clears it up.  Might still buy the part just in case...for the future.  

Thanks everyone!!

• 4 years later...