Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Connecting Helix to L2M and FOH ?

glenbury

Hi, 

I'm interested in the Helix and L2M and hoping someone can help me out understanding the connections.

I'd like to have an "amp"  behind me  and it looks like the L2M would be the best FRFR fit with Helix.

So the connection would be Link 6  from Helix to L2M. In this scenario what would I set the speaker mode to on the L2m

if the Helix has the cab sims on ?  I'm guessing floor monitor ?

Then , if I want to send the signal to my FOH  , which is my vocal speaker (BOSE II)  ,  would I just connect

from the L2M MIX OUT to the Bose or would I connect from the HELIX  to the Bose ?  This is the part where I'm getting confused. 

Also, for you guys that use the L2M as your backline amp, do you find it best to pole mount the L2M or is angling it from

the floor adequate for small to medium sized venues ?

Thanks

Reference/PA if standing or on a pole. Monitor if on its side and the bass is boomy. You can override with the button. I saw Paul HIndmarsh demo Helix with two L2m and he had them on their sides on the floor in Reference/PA mode.

L2M Mix Out or Helix XLR depends totally on where you want the cables to run and on the capability of the BOSE. L2M Mix out is a Line level signal (+4bBu) which will overload any Mic input as will the Helix output if set to Line level, but the Helix output can be set to Mic level.

If you use L2M output the "amp" and PA levels will be tied together but if you go from Helix you can control them independently (if you assign the Master Volume control to just PA for example).

I generally use mine as a floor monitor pointing back at me and let the room sound come from the PA

Hi, 

I'm interested in the Helix and L2M and hoping someone can help me out understanding the connections.

I'd like to have an "amp"  behind me  and it looks like the L2M would be the best FRFR fit with Helix.

So the connection would be Link 6  from Helix to L2M. In this scenario what would I set the speaker mode to on the L2m

if the Helix has the cab sims on ?  I'm guessing floor monitor ?

Then , if I want to send the signal to my FOH  , which is my vocal speaker (BOSE II)  ,  would I just connect

from the L2M MIX OUT to the Bose or would I connect from the HELIX  to the Bose ?  This is the part where I'm getting confused. 

Also, for you guys that use the L2M as your backline amp, do you find it best to pole mount the L2M or is angling it from

the floor adequate for small to medium sized venues ?

Thanks

I use an L2m as a stage monitor and have it placed on the floor in "Floor Monitor" mode although I have run it in "Reference/P.A." mode as well. It may sound better in some cases on a pole but I just find it more convenient to place on the floor. One important consideration if you are using the Bose L1 Model II speakers is that they tend to be set up behind you. That means you need to be aware of possible phase cancellation if you place your L2m facing you like a vocal monitor. You may want to use the L2m behind you or to the side to minimize cancellation. 

Like Rewolf48 I prefer connecting the Helix to both the L2m and the FOH speakers so I can control them individually if need be. When I first started using the L2m I would connect digitally via the L6 Link to the L2m and then connect the L2m's XLR output to the FOH. My rationale was that I wanted to keep a digital path for as long as possible. I don't do this any more though. I now connect to the L2m via the Helix's 1/4 output and use the Helix's XLR out to the FOH. That is because the global EQ does not apply to the L6 Link digital output and I want to hear the global EQ in both my stage monitor and the FOH. I find the sound out through the 1/4 so good that whatever accuracy I may be missing by not using the digital out is more than made up for by the fact that the sound I am getting through my stage monitor is closer to what is being heard at the FOH as I am using analog outs to both and when I need to kick in the global EQ I can hear what it is doing through my stage monitor.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

If I want to connect from Helix to L2M via Link 6, do I need the proprietary Line 6 AES cable or is there an AES cable someone can recommend ?

Thanks

Any decent AES/EBU cable will work. My advice is to find one that combines good quality without being overly pricey. A lot of cable pricing is hype. Also keep in mind that if you connect via the L6 Link the global EQ will not affect the signal to your L2m. I prefer the analog 1/4 output so I can hear what is going to the FOH when I have the global EQ activated.