Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Help! I can't figure out my Relay G10

barks62

I asked some of this in another thread, but rather than continue to hijack that thread I decided to start my own.

The story:

I have a Relay G10 that worked like a charm when I first got it.  The first week it was flawless, then in the second week I was at practice and the battery ran out.  I used a cord for the rest of practice, went home and charged the Relay for a little bit (not a full charge), and it still wouldn't work.  When I pulled it out of the base and plugged it into the guitar, the lights on the transmitter and the base would blink like it wasn't syncing. 

I left it in the charger and went to bed, the next morning it still didn't sync up. But the green light was on the transmitter all night, so I'm wondering if the transmitter charged, stopped charging, then stayed on and the battery drained?  When this happened, I charged it again, then took it out when it was done and it worked.  I used it for a few days and it was fine, then I left it in the base again before a practice, and when I showed up at practice it once again wouldn't sync.

Am I draining the battery by leaving it in the base all the time?  What should I do with the transmitter once it is charged?  This thing was so easy to use right out of the box that I took it for granted!  Now that it's not working, I'm lost.  What procedure should I use for charging, syncing, and storing my Relay?

Firstly, you should confirm that your G10 is running the current firmware version 1.04!

If it is not running firmware 1.04, install firmware version 1.04!

Then, fully charge the Transmitter.

During charging the Transmitter's Green LED blinks. When Fully Charged, the Transmitter's LED will be steady Green.

If, you are not going to be immediately using the G10, unplug it slightly (one click) from the Receiver base unit's charging jack. This turns the G10 Transmitter Off. You may also turn off the power to the Charging Base Receiver if you wish.

The G10 Transmitter's On/Off button is the small spring loaded collar switch at the base of the Transmitter's 1/4" Shaft. When this is fully depressed -- as when the G10 Transmitter is fully seated in a female 1/4" jack -- the G10 Transmitter is on. When this is not depressed the G10 Transmitter is Off.

When the G10 is left fully seated in a guitar's Jack, the unit will go into Standby in about 4 minutes of no audio signal. The Standby battery rating is 200 Hours.

Once fully charged, the G10 Transmitter's battery will last for weeks!

If you are still having problems, contact your vendor or Line 6 Customer Support to get things sorted out.

I think you fixed it!  The only guitar I've been using it in is an Ibanez with a recessed input jack.  The G10 doesn't reach far enough when the stock guitar, so I took out the input and put some rubber spacers in there to push the jack out about a half inch.  The G10 works, but I think sometimes it wasn't pushing the button quite enough or something.  Last night the G10 wouldn't connect, so I pushed the button myself, and it synced up right away.  I put it in the guitar and it worked all night.

The piece of the puzzle I was missing was the location of the button.  Now that I know what to try when it doesn't work, I think I'll be fine.  I also have an extension cable I can use in a pinch if it gives me problems at a show.

Thanks so much for the info!!

I have read reports from some who actually removed the guitar jack, and threaded the stem so that it extended slightly from the body, thereby allowing the tiny collar switch to be fully pressed when the G10 Transmitter is fully inserted into the jack. The washers will also work so long as the tip of the G10's 1/4 plug seats properly in the guitar's jack.

There is also the 90 Degree (right angle) Mono TS Male to Mono TS female adapter. I use one of these whenever I play any of my Les Pauls seated on the couch. Do so allows the G10 Transmitter sit 90 degrees to the edge of the body rather than extending staight outward. Also, some have found a straight Mono TS Male to Mono TS female cord about 1 foot in length works well to allow the G10 Transmitter to be draped between the Guitar Strap and the guitar body at the lower bout strap button.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello, this may be a stupid question. But can you use the G10T transmitter without the base? I bought the transmitter for 99$ thinking it would connect to my Spider V 120 because that's what it said, but so far I'm not having any luck getting it to connect, and everything I'm looking at now is saying plug it into the the receiver base... There was never mention of the base being needed it just said plug and play! So yeah, my question is do you have to have the receiver base in order to use the transmitter with the Spider V 120... I'm sure it's yes but I'm just hoping there's a work around

Hello, this may be a stupid question. But can you use the G10T transmitter without the base? I bought the transmitter for 99$ thinking it would connect to my Spider V 120 because that's what it said, but so far I'm not having any luck getting it to connect, and everything I'm looking at now is saying plug it into the the receiver base... There was never mention of the base being needed it just said plug and play! So yeah, my question is do you have to have the receiver base in order to use the transmitter with the Spider V 120... I'm sure it's yes but I'm just hoping there's a work around

You don't need the receiver base to use it with the Spider V. Is your transmitter charged and/or charging? You just plug it into the Spider's input to charge it and sync it. It's described on page 8 of the Spider V Quick Start Guide.

Make sure that you it has firmware 1.04 too even though it seems to be working. 1.04 fixed a sleep mode bug, and it would not go into sleep mode all the time which will prematurely drain your battery. 

I am having a sleep mode issue too so I downloaded the latest version of updater from the line 6 site.

When I run updater it tells me the g10 has version 1.0 firmware, not 1.04 and no matter what I try to do, the latest version of installer will not install 1.04.  

Any idea what I should do?  Seems the only way to update the firmware is with installer and I have downloaded the latest version from the end of March, version 1.11 I beleive.

Have the same issue. How can I update from 1.0 to 1.04? The updater says "no updates". But it is 1.0 on my G10

You said it better than I did, and it seems firmware 1.04 solves the transmitter not sleeping and running down the battery problem.  Hope we can figure out a way to upgrade the hardware with the latest firmware.

When I first tried to upgrade, I thought it said the same thing. But it was actually telling me the base had no updates available. I had to select the transmitter and then it let me upgrade. So double check that you're looking at the transmitter upgrades and not just the receiver.

When I first tried to upgrade, I thought it said the same thing. But it was actually telling me the base had no updates available. I had to select the transmitter and then it let me upgrade. So double check that you're looking at the transmitter upgrades and not just the receiver.

Wow, that worked!  Thanks so much!  I had thought all the electronics were in the base and did not realize the transmitter should be inserted into the base during the firmware upgrade.  Thanks again! 

• 2 weeks later...

My G10 receiver blink red and Nothing HAPPEN with transmitter 
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B41lXjJkTb-bX3ZCZ1BxRENjZVU

My Line 6 Updater v1.11 said that :

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B41lXjJkTb-ba1ZtU3E1Wmt3dTQ

Where do  you find to update the transmitter ?
Sorry," 
You are not allowed to use that image extension on this community."

Wow, that worked!  Thanks so much!  I had thought all the electronics were in the base and did not realize the transmitter should be inserted into the base during the firmware upgrade.  Thanks again! 

You are very welcome.  I'm glad it worked for you!

It doesn't look like it's plugged in all the way. You need to plug the transmitter in all the way to get it to charge, then you can try to update firmware. It will light up when it is in all the way.

• 1 year later...

Bought my Relay G10 about a month ago.  Gigged with it many times already and love it. 

Two gigs ago, my bandmate, who already has two G10's brought out a new acoustic guitar that he doesn't normally gig with.  This was the first time.  He was playing a different guitar at first and it was working perfectly.  He then decided to play the new axe and plugged his transmitter into the guitar (Ibanez with built-in preamp) -- nothing.  He then switched back to the first guitar he was playing and still nothing.  The transmitter would blink red when he plugged it into the receiver.  He's had the unit almost a year.  I mentioned that he could buy a replacement transmitter for about $100.  He finished the gig with a cable. 

The last gig we did, my bandmate had acquired the replacement transmitter.  He brought the infamous Ibanez acoustic to this gig, too. The replacement transmitter had been working fine in his other guitar.  He did the same thing as before and attempted to switch to the Ibanez.  Same thing happened as the previous gig/transmitter.  I had been using mine system with no issue, so I pulled my transmitter out of my guitar and told him to try my system.  Now my transmitter won't work or sync-up either.  

I'm guessing that the Ibanez uses reverse polarity and the transmitters have gone into "protection mode"...

Opened a ticket with Tech support and got a reply the next day.  I was instructed to download and install the updater, plug in the unit into my computer's usb and run the update to get my firmware to 1.04.  The update does not see the transmitter, only the receiver (at 1.00).  If I try to upgrade the receiver it tells me there is no update available.

I'm using a windows 10 system.  The receiver and the transmitter are lighting up.  The transmitter is fully seated in the receiver.  Transmitter is blinking red and the receiver is flashing a light purple??? color.  It's not the normal white, and it's definitely not red or yellow.

Any ideas?

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks MuscLaw,

I did that just before posting... 

I guess I was hoping there was a "fix" for this that and that someone would respond quicker than tech support.  Of course that didn't happen as there is not a user fix for this and tech support got back to me the very next day.  I was told the transmitter must have gotten shorted out and therefore could not have it's firmware upgraded -- they explained that the receiver did not need the firmware upgrade -- it is already at the current level (1.00), so that's why it would not upgrade further.

They issued an RMA for the transmitter only and I shipped it off to them for repair or replacement -- just waiting for the/a transmitter to be returned to me.  I'm pretty happy with the responsiveness of tech support and it did not take too long to get to a resolution.  Of course I'm having to gig with a cable again, but I could always spend another $99 to get a second transmitter while I'm waiting.

Overall I'm pleased with tech support and how Line 6 has rectified my issue.  I'm just in disbelief that my bandmate tripped across what seems to be the only guitar preamp in the world that instantly shorts out the G10 transmitters, rendering them useless from that point forward.  I figured someone out there would have posted this so I didn't have to chase my tail attempting to fix an unfixable problem.

So, there it is for anyone else who may be searching for info about this.  I'll try to get the specs on my band mates Ibanez acoustic and the preamp and post those.  I'm positive if he had used a TS to TS 1/4" adapter, no transmitter would have been harmed.  Unfortunately, we fried three of them between us before we stopped trying to make it work.

I hope this info will help someone in the future.  

Thanks to Line 6 Tech support for taking care of it!

Ryan D.

• 2 years later...

Hello guys,

I just wanted to play with my g10 relay afterand when I plug it in the bass (Squier PBass, it does press the little button when inside the jack) the transmitter blinks a red light and the receiver blinks in a white light. I downloaded the updates via the updater, both for the receiver and the transmitter, I put the transmitter back again into the receiver and the receiver shows a steady white light while the transmitter blinks in green until it stays in green once again. I try it once again then, and the result with the white blinking light in the receiver and the red blinking light in the transmitter is the same. When I hit the strings the receiver turns red and sometimes orange, but nothing else happens. Why aren't they syncronizing? It almost hasn't been used and somewhere in the FAQs here I read that the battery shouldn't be affected after a long period without use and should last at least 300charges, and as I said, it has had almost no use since I bought it. Thank you guys if you could help me with this.