Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Clarification on snapshots

Doug6String

In a post last week, I put this comment "Snapshots work well if you're turning things on and off (you can't have diff settings for a single device in diff snapshots)..."  Someone thought the "can't have different settings" was a typo, but it wasn't.  I hope I'm wrong, but my experience is that if I have, for example, a Scream 808 that I use in snapshots 1 and 2, I can't have different settings for it in both snapshots.  I've tried this a few different ways, but when I save the preset, whether I save it when on snapshot 1 or 2, only the last settings for the dist pedal are saved and those settings are then the same for all snapshots, thus in snapshots I can turn things on and off, bu that's the extent of the control.  Am I missing a way to have multiple snapshots with the same effects with different settings for the effects in diff snapshots?  Thanks!

You have to select the property of the block you want to change with a Snapshot and go under " controllers", click the drop down and select "Snapshot". If you don't it will stay at whatever you last saved it to. I am not looking at the Helix at the moment, but that is the gist of what you do.

In a post last week, I put this comment "Snapshots work well if you're turning things on and off (you can't have diff settings for a single device in diff snapshots)..." Someone thought the "can't have different settings" was a typo, but it wasn't. I hope I'm wrong, but my experience is that if I have, for example, a Scream 808 that I use in snapshots 1 and 2, I can't have different settings for it in both snapshots. I've tried this a few different ways, but when I save the preset, whether I save it when on snapshot 1 or 2, only the last settings for the dist pedal are saved and those settings are then the same for all snapshots, thus in snapshots I can turn things on and off, bu that's the extent of the control. Am I missing a way to have multiple snapshots with the same effects with different settings for the effects in diff snapshots? Thanks!

In addition to the method rcdiver57 describes above you can press Alt+LeftMouseButton on a parameter in the Editor to assign it to snapshots. Pressing Shift-Alt-LeftMouseButton will unassign it. You can also assign a parameter to snapshots on the Helix by pressing down the knob below the parameter and turning it in quick succession.

Whether you use the Editor or the Helix to assign a parameter to snapshots you will see square brackets appear around the parameter value after it has been correctly assigned. Once you have the parameter assigned to snapshots a different value can be dialed in for each snapshot.

You will need to save in between each snapshot if you want your snapshot parameter changes to be retained and you have the "Snapshot Edit" in global settings set to "Discard". The "Recall" setting will require you to save only once before you leave the preset. 

You are definitely missing a big part of Snapshot's functionality! The manual gives instruction on this on p.35:

http://line6.com/data/6/0a06439c975d5787c3e351aa0/application/pdf/Helix%202.0%20Owners%20Manual%20-%20Rev%20D%20-%20English%20.pdf

Also Scott on Helix Channel touches on it in his Snapshots video on the YouTubes:

On the Helix, push down and simultaneously​ turn the parameter knob you want different in each snapshot. The value will get square brackets around it, indicating it's controlled by snapshots.

Once you've done that, that parameter will have separate settings in each snapshot.

If you later decide to disconnect it from snapshots, select it and press Controller Assign, then choose None as the controller.