Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

The ultimate error

5thvision

We live in 2017, 48 years since we put man on the moon, AND STILL..... NO.... DELAY TRAILS. 

So many years, so many requests, and still....NO DELAY SPILLOVER/TRAILS 

Yes, it will probably cost a second DSP unit, but for the love of god......so f*..... what. 

So many of us are forced to use noisy gear like Digitech....and still because of this feature. 

I am completely baffled. Line6 use so much energy on new fancy design, that they actually forget the essentials.

Maybe one day they wake up.....

Not sure what you are saying - if you mean that when you change a snapshot or turn off a delay in stomp mode you don't have delay trails continue naturally.......yes you do if you turn on trails.

Is that what you are talking about?

It is not as simple as just adding more processors to copy what the other two doing... When you add more DSP chips it increases overall throughput latency of the entire system. So there's no free lunch when it comes to this sort of thing.

There's a reason why none of the companies using the current SHARC chips are pursuing patch spillover.

We live in 2017, 48 years since we put man on the moon, AND STILL..... NO.... DELAY TRAILS. 

So many years, so many requests, and still....NO DELAY SPILLOVER/TRAILS 

Yes, it will probably cost a second DSP unit, but for the love of god......so f*..... what. 

So many of us are forced to use noisy gear like Digitech....and still because of this feature. 

I am completely baffled. Line6 use so much energy on new fancy design, that they actually forget the essentials.

Maybe one day they wake up.....

They will wake up?  I think you should my amigo because the Helix will do exactly what you want, you just need to learn how.

Aside from latency, if I were a product architect, no way I'd think that delay spillover between patches alone was worth the added cost and complexity of a second SHARC, especially when spillover between snapshots is already available. There are way more exciting things​ to do with double the processing power, assuming that's actually a viable option technically.

If it's f-bombs worth of important to you, get a delay pedal!

So many years, so many requests, and still....NO DELAY SPILLOVER/TRAILS.

If you had bothered to check, you would find the facility to turn "Trails" on or off, as an option when editing any of the delays and reverbs available in Helix. This had been a much griped about issue before the introduction of "Snapshots", which seemed to make users very happy!

Maybe "the ultimate error" is simply the oversight of 5thvision?😜

• Upvote 2

Then use snapshots if you want delay trails to carry over.  What's the problem?  You know, part of getting to the moon required the astronauts to know how to operate the space capsule.   ;)

As I understand, it just doesn't work like it should, since the trail is independent of the new patch (so you can't really rely on it).

Correct me if Im wrong....

If you had bothered to check, you would find the facility to turn "Trails" on or off, as an option when editing any of the delays and reverbs available in Helix. This had been a much griped about issue before the introduction of "Snapshots", which seemed to make users very happy!

Maybe "the ultimate error" is simply the oversight of 5thvision?

I read the post and reviews. They still complain about "this missing link". I´ve been looking for this feature for years.... something that actually works.... 

I often wonder how embarrassed people get when they go off on a rant only to find out they would have known how to fix their problem if they'd only read the manual....hmmmmm   :huh:

we are men.  We don't need manuals.  We prefer to muck it up and complain later.  By the way, what's that stupid USB stick for anyways since you can't load your presets or IR's on it?

As I understand, it just doesn't work like it should, since the trail is independent of the new patch (so you can't really rely on it).

Correct me if Im wrong....

The idea is that you use snapshot changes instead of preset changes. There is enough flexibility in the Helix signal path that you can get some serious flexibility out of one preset.

You mentioned using a Digitech unit earlier, so I assume you're referring to the GSP1101... I would think that you could easily create a preset in the Helix that does as much and probably a lot more than one preset on the GSP1101 can do.

Have you actually tried the Helix yet?

I often wonder how embarrassed people get when they go off on a rant only to find out they would have known how to fix their problem if they'd only read the manual....hmmmmm   :huh:

....and so do I. I own a lot of Line6 products, work as a technician and producer....but dont want to invest in further guitar products before this have been handled. If indeed the Helix now can do trails...as supposed, I'm a happy man :-)

....and so do I. I own a lot of Line6 products, work as a technician and producer....but dont want to invest in further guitar products before this have been handled. If indeed the Helix now can do trails...as supposed, I'm a happy man :-)

It can do it in snapshot mode. It will never do it in patch mode. Just like Axe never will. Nobody would pay an extra grand to have this feature and latency issues that come with it. They know this.

Seriously?  You have three registered products and you create a thread about something that you apparently *don't* have regarding the lack of a feature that said product *does* have, and you claim you're a producer?  Nothing from nothing, dude, but every producer I know has read the manual for a given piece of equipment, taken the time to understand it, and actually *used* the device before they complained about it.  And if you're a studio tech you can easily patch spillover in post production.

If I remember correctly this feature was there even long before snapshots within a patch.  It was simply a matter of turning it on via the parameter on the Delay (trails on/off).  Of course it only worked within a preset, but I used it effectively and still do within a given preset when there's a dynamic change from one setup to a different setup within a patch.  Snapshots just provided a more comprehensive way of doing such things.  However, unless you turn on delay trails on the delay block it won't work either way.

The idea is that you use snapshot changes instead of preset changes. There is enough flexibility in the Helix signal path that you can get some serious flexibility out of one preset.

You mentioned using a Digitech unit earlier, so I assume you're referring to the GSP1101... I would think that you could easily create a preset in the Helix that does as much and probably a lot more than one preset on the GSP1101 can do.

Have you actually tried the Helix yet?

I recently had to help program a friends GSP1011 for a Tool cover night.  It was an exercise in misery after a year of editing the helix. 

If they were sufficiently self-aware to get embarrassed, they wouldn't do it again.

I read the post and reviews. They still complain about "this missing link". I´ve been looking for this feature for years.... something that actually works.... 

Ah! The ultimate error has become the ultimate quest - the search for the Holy Grail.

So, you've "been looking for this feature for years"? Well you had better get used to it, because it just isn't going to happen anytime soon! It has previously been mentioned on this forum, that the Digitech GSP1101 could handle "Spillover", but it was by no means perfect, or everyone would be using them. It rather looks as if you will not be able "to invest in further guitar products before this has been handled" as I don't know of any current digital modeller that can do what you expect. To deal with the "Spillover" issue Fractal came up with "Scenes" and Line 6 gave us "Snapshots". Hey, guess what? Correct! Something that actually works...

Furthermore, as a "technician and producer", I am surprised that you don't seem to have even considered the "send and return" options available on Helix. Problem solved! Simply patch in your delay and reverb of choice. That's one reason why they are there. Plus, as a "Studio Tech", just imagine the digital shenanigans you could have hooking up to a whole battery of outboard pro rack mounted and software VST delay lines and 'verbs available to you. Fun unlimited!

...I am surprised that you don't seem to have even considered the "send and return" options available on Helix. Problem solved! Simply patch in your delay and reverb of choice....

I am reasonably sure this will not solve the "problem". Only using Snapshots will.

We live in 2017, 48 years since we put man on the moon, AND STILL.....

[...]

That made me think.

2017: Snapshots with trails, checked.

2017: Even more reason to doubt the human mind, and:

2017: No chance to escape from earth to another planet, outstanding...

I am reasonably sure this will not solve the "problem". Only using Snapshots will.

Peter,

I am more than reasonably sure, in fact I am certain, that in this instance, you are perfectly correct.

I didn't quite think that bit through, or rather, I didn't express my basic idea properly.

It certainly would not solve the "problem" (that does not exist) if the signal was being returned back into the Helix. As we are aware, during a patch change Helix would have to ditch a whole bunch of variable parameters from all blocks in the preset before being able to load a fresh set of variables for the next one. There would be a temporary break in the signal flow and therefore – no trails. Although, if our studio based Producer/Technician got adventurous, and was to take the return feed from the external processor (eg: Eventide H9, Big Sky, rack mount Lexicon etc.) and inserted it into a spare channel on his mixing desk? Well, maybe then? That was just a thought.

Anyhow - Only using Snapshots will.

Sadly, it's something the OP cannot, or will, not comprehend.