Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

What is included in the Variax JTV-59 packaging?

I just bought a JTV-59 online from Guitar Center and am waiting for it to be delivered. What exactly is included in the packaging?

I also have a Pod HD500x. So I really want to know if the Variax comes with the necessary cable to plug into the 500x

The JTV will come with a Workbench Interface device and associated cables. One of these cables can be used as your cable for connecting to the HD500X but you shouldn't use it because it only has the protective housing/shielding at one end. When connecting to the HD500X you should use a proper VDI cable that has the housing on both ends. You will need to obtain this separately.

• Upvote 1

Yes and no...you'll get a cable that is intended only for connecting to a computer for firmware updates and to use the Workbench software. It is short, fragile and designed specifically for use with the stupid USB dongle that should also be included. It's nowhere near sufficient for gigging, or even playing casually at home or rehearsal. You'll end up damaging the connection to the guitar and/or the POD. You'll need to buy a proper VDI cable.

Get this one: http://btpa.com/98-030-004-XXX.html

The "real" L6 VDI is sub-par, imho. This is much more robust. A little more expensive per foot, but it lasts.

• Upvote 1

BTPA,... I guess it's okay. Dual jacketed is usually pretty good. Looks like it's made by

the same company that makes ours. Interesting, the part number is almost the same too.

Been using the L6 version on a daily basis for the last 9-1/2 almost 10 years beating

the crap out of them, since I service the guitars here,... and on my third one.

Also have four JTV's with a cable for each one, all still good. It isn't just how they're built,

it's how you treat them as well.

It's like a car, treat it nice, it runs forever, beat the b'geezes out of it, and it's in the scrap

yard within a year. Either cable is good.

• Upvote 1

It isn't just how they're built,

it's how you treat them as well.

It's like a car, treat it nice, it runs forever, beat the b'geezes out of it, and it's in the scrap

yard within a year. Either cable is good.

Cables live on the floor, getting dragged around and stepped on. They gotta be able to take a little punishment. If they're flimsy enough, it won't matter if you keep them in a fleece lined silk bag, and lull them to sleep with supportive, nurturing bedtime stories...they won't last.

I've got 20 year old 1/4" cables that you couldn't bring down with a .308, and that first VDI lasted me 2 years before it crapped out completely....and it wasn't abused any more than any other cable I've ever had. The outer shielding/casing on that thing is way too thin, and it tangles like a pair of ear bud wires. I wasn't surprised when it died.

Some folks here who report bad experience with the official Line-6 VDI cable, IMHO they are describing the old 2004 era 1st generation VDI cable.

I find from direct experience  the "current" production" official Line-6 VDI cable is a very different animal vs the old 2004 era VDI cable 

the current version is very flexible and robust uses Van Den Hul Tourcat CAT5E Flexible Cable.   (- not "kinky and prone to tangles" like the 2004 old era version ) 

10019888_800.jpg

Some folks here who report bad experience with the official Line-6 VDI cable, IMHO they are describing the old 2004 era 1st generation VDI cable.

I find from direct experience the "current" production" official Line-6 VDI cable is a very different animal vs the old 2004 era VDI cable

the current version is very flexible and robust uses Van Den Hul Tourcat CAT5E Flexible Cable. (- not "kinky and prone to tangles" like the 2004 old era version )

10019888_800.jpg

Seems unlikely that I was sold a 2004 era cable in 2013, but I suppose anything is possible...

I recently bought a new Line 6 VDI cable because the heat shrink on one end cracked and I was too lazy to buy a piece of heat shrink tubing to fix it. It was working fine. It was my second cable since getting my Variax 300 in 2005. Some time about 6 or 7 years ago I stepped on one end of my original VDI and the case end of the first one went out of round and wouldn't fit the jack... The second one was exactly like the one from 2005. Anyway, this latest new one does seem like a nicer version, more robust cable, no heat shrink over the end fittings. Neither of the first 2 failed... My bad for stepping on the first one...

Dave

Seems unlikely that I was sold a 2004 era cable in 2013, but I suppose anything is possible...

I expect the 2004 date refers to the design and initial release date. This cable presumably continued to be manufactured until the new design/cable was in production. I don't know when the switch happened but the cable I bought in 2011 was still the old design. I doubt that it had been sitting in inventory for 7 years; I think it (and yours) was more likely a relatively new production of an aging design.

I expect the 2004 date refers to the design and initial release date. This cable presumably continued to be manufactured until the new design/cable was in production. I don't know when the switch happened but the cable I bought in 2011 was still the old design. I doubt that it had been sitting in inventory for 7 years; I think it (and yours) was more likely a relatively new production of an aging design.

Perhaps. Either way, it is/was a lousy design. Constantly coiling around itself while in use, and didn't hold up with regular gigging The Bestronics one doesn't do that...that's all I know. If this one dies after the same amount of time, then I'll happily concede that it's no better than L6's cable, but I'll be surprised if that's the case. With this one there's also the added bonus of being able to choose any length you want. The old one was either 25 or 30 ft...personally, I don't need anything that long. This ain't deep sea fishing. Got a 15' one that's more than adequate.