Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

G10 Power Supply?

DanielJW

I've been using the G10 a lot recently and the only issue I have is the USB power supply. I was thinking how much more practical it would if it could be powered from your pedalboard power supply eg 9v adapter to G10 charger. Does anyone know if an adapter like this exists and what it would be called? Or if I'd be able to get one built at an electronics store or something like that? Thanks

Hi,

I encountered that same problem, so I had my tech make this mod for me so I can have my base unit powered from my 9v supply from my Boss BCB board.

Small 9v to 5v step down convertor that sits just nicely in the recess were the cables go.

http://line6.com/support/topic/21552-how-to-power-g10-from-a-standard-pedal-board/

I've been using the G10 a lot recently and the only issue I have is the USB power supply. I was thinking how much more practical it would if it could be powered from your pedalboard power supply eg 9v adapter to G10 charger. Does anyone know if an adapter like this exists and what it would be called? Or if I'd be able to get one built at an electronics store or something like that? Thanks

there is a design flaw with the way the female power jack inside the unit is attached to the main board. many users of the g10 have complained about how their jack broke during routine use.  there are 1 - 2 semi-active subjects in this forum section that have dealt with a better long term solution and how to modify the unit internally

to accommodate a better power solution that will not break as easily as the original design.

Check them out and see if they are a better fit for your situation and perhaps you may not want to wait until your system breaks as so many of us have experienced.

there is a design flaw with the way the female power jack inside the unit is attached to the main board. many users of the g10 have complained about how their jack broke during routine use.  there are 1 - 2 semi-active subjects in this forum section that have dealt with a better long term solution and how to modify the unit internally

to accommodate a better power solution that will not break as easily as the original design.

Check them out and see if they are a better fit for your situation and perhaps you may not want to wait until your system breaks as so many of us have experienced.

But if the base unit is permanently fixed in one location there shouldn't be any need to modify the poor USB input on the G10, mine has been in my board since purchasing upon release in the UK without any problems. Even my other one that is used for bass was bought at the same time and that has done a lot of gigs and is packed away after every show. Although I do envisage the USB input to fail, so far so good.  

I have three g10's, and one broke so I had the mod done on all three. The one that broke, was also attached on a peddleboard but that did not prevent it from breaking. The input jack faced the outside edge of the peddleboard so the wire often was off the board. It got lightly pushed and the pushing pressure sent to the power-jack was enough to loosen it and make it no longer work.

Since doing the modification, I now have turned the unit so the guitar output and power source no longer face the edge of the peddleboard. If you are gigging with one or both units it's only a matter of time before something silly happens and you lose the unit.

• 8 months later...

I just had to submit a warranty claim on mine because the female jack is loose and won't keep a constant connection.   It failed on me mid song last Sunday.   You have to wiggle the wire to get it to connect and then it looses connection randomly.  Needs a much more robust connection than a mini USB.  

• 2 months later...

If you warranty is up or you don't mind losing it you can try this mod which works well for me. I have a 0ne Spot power supply with 8 barrel connectors. I think the barrel connectors come in 3,5 or 8. I ordered a micro usb to dc converter from amazon.  Cut the last barrel connector line and reverse the polarity black to red, red to black. solder wires and wrap with shrink wrap or electrical tape. Plug into the g10. attached is a picture.  remember you will definitely void your warranty but it works.

Attached is a pic of the part.Micro.thumb.jpg.03e170d8cc879f128cc2c563bbe8571c.jpg

• 7 months later...

I had the same concern so I made up some power converters that allow me to power it from my 9V power supply on my board. I made up a bunch of these to sell so if you want one, let me know. I have mine mounted in an Altoids tin that sticks to my pedalboard with Velcro. Works like a champ!

20180219_184743.jpg