Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

JTV-69 Alt Tuning Wheel Issues

Hi folks. I'm running into issues with the Alt Tuning Knob on the JTV-69. My goal is to restore the stock Alt Tuning presets on the knob, but can't seem to do so.

Standard, Drop D, and half down are the problem spots. Everything else works fine.

When trying to recreate the tunings, it'll mess up the others. For example, programming Standard in the Standard slot can alter the tunings in the Drop D slot. And vice versa.

Re-flashing th JTV doesn't help at all. Nor does the Factory reset procedure (I never see the red lights on the two knobs). I also unplugged and replugged all of the connections on the main board - no luck.

Any ideas? I already had a main board service replacement on this once - I really don't want to do that again.

Thanks!

I had a problem with the model knob on my Variax. I disassembled the pick guard to get to the contacts of the model knob (A metal prong contacts against another piece with indents to indicate what model is selected).

I shot some Electronic contact cleaner between it and flipped through the models fast. I did this like 3-4 times. 

Never had a problem with models freaking out again.

Could work with the alt tuning knob as well. Pretty sure it's the same principle. That's if, the problem is stemming from the tuning selector reading wrong.

• Upvote 1

http://line6.com/support/page/kb/_/general-faq/cleaning-pots-and-faders-r816

... if you go the contact cleaner route.

Pulling up the strings to go under the pick-guard, you may or may not need the

set-up checked and dialed-in afterwards.

Be aware, this isn't some everyday electric guitar with passive electronics. You need

to be aware of what you're in for.

Leave it to the pros, unless you know what you're in for and your warranty is long

since up. Like the saying goes, "don't try this at home".

Yeah if you're not confident at all, don't do it. I've disassembled electronics many a times so I know a grasp of what I'm getting into.

It's relatively easy if you have that concept down. You look at it and go "oh, this thing touches against this thing to get a read of which slot it chooses, so I clean that".

If you can't get a basic obvious concept of what you're looking at, then no, don't do it yourself.

I've already replaced piezos on both my guitars as well as replaced a volume and tone knob on my old Variax, but that's because I have a basic understanding of electronic layout.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a problem with the model knob on my Variax. I disassembled the pick guard to get to the contacts of the model knob (A metal prong contacts against another piece with indents to indicate what model is selected).

I shot some Electronic contact cleaner between it and flipped through the models fast. I did this like 3-4 times. 

Never had a problem with models freaking out again.

Could work with the alt tuning knob as well. Pretty sure it's the same principle. That's if, the problem is stemming from the tuning selector reading wrong.

I just fixed a glitch with mine (randomly jumping to a different patch), by spraying the 5 way pickup selector. I connect to Pod HD500 with Pod controlling Variax patch, and for a while now, it's been jumping to whichever position the selector is on. I was going to spray the 12 way bank selector, but instead sprayed the 5 way!

• 1 year later...

Hi...My JTV 69 has just developed a tuning knob problem. It seems to be limited to the 'model' slot. If I create a new tuning on the guitar or in workbench it will not save to that location. I can save to any other slot (e.g. standard )it's weird.  When I connect to Workbench and shift the 5 way switch on the guitar to neck position, sure enough it is shown correctly in workbench...and it shows the alt tuning I have stored there....but it doesn't actually play like that on the guitar. Doesn't help if i try and upload it again to the guitar. any suggestions gratefully received.