Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

New Ernie Ball Paradigm Strings,10-46 or 10-52?

These new strings from Ernie Ball have been getting a lot of hype. Anyone tried these out on a James Tyler Variax? I'm also curious if I would have to make any adjustments to my JTV-59 if I use the 10-52 size. I currently use the 10-46 size. I've never used the 10-52 size but I'm wondering if having those on there would help with the Acoustic Models. Thanks in advance for your input.

Hype indeed...everybody is now trotting out their version of "the most corrosion resistant and durable strings known to man", with (of course) a "revolutionary wire drawing process".

They're promising a 90-day run, and they'll replace the set if you bust and/or rust them. I'll take that bet...I sweat battery acid. The day that I get 3 months from a set of strings, I'll join a monestary...

I can vouch for the string gauge - 10-52 have been my choice for many years now, and it's certainly been suggested that more string tension on piezos gives better quality sound, particularly with modelled alternate tuning. As for the other claims, you'll have to tell us YOUR impression....

• 2 weeks later...

I ordered a set of 10-46 gauge to try out.   I put a GFS X-Trem on my JTV-59, and had trouble with the high E breaking near the ball end.   Switching to M-Steels has seemed to addressed the issue, but I still get nervous every time I do a bend on that string above the 12th fret.   After watching the Petrucci and Gilbert videos, I figured I should check them out.

34edmkn.jpg