Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Standard Scale Shuriken on IdeaScale

aleclee

Have you actually played Shuriken so that you know its scale is a dealbreaker? Just wondering if it feels that different...

I can't speak to this guitar in particular, but I own a 7 string with a 27" scale...it's definitely different. You settle in after a few minutes though.

I kind of think the Shuriken body would seem disproportionately large with a shorter scale neck. It's kind of how the Jaguar always looks a little weird compared to the Jazzmaster. Funny how having the neck a few inches longer seems to make such a large difference.

Since nobody suggested it so far, I guess it's not an option.

So I'm curious why you can't just replace the neck with one of your liking? 

The neck looks normally screwed and I mean, the pickups don't care, do they?

http://www.bettermusic.com.au/media/catalog/product/cache/1/thumbnail/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/s/h/shuriken2.jpg

You could change the neck, but then it wouldn't be much of a Shuriken anymore.

Why not have a different scale,... I guess that's part of how Stevic likes it, being that

it's his design and all.

I've serviced and played both the Aussie built prototype and our version of it, both

are really nice. The scale difference is no problem for me (I'm 5'5" and Stevic is 6ft+).

I like it!

Pick-ups,... just make certain you stay within string height range, as the magnetics

can cause warbling of the string. And if the piezos pick that up, it'll get amplified and

processed with the rest of signal. And amplified warbling sounds bloody awful.

http://www.bettermusic.com.au/media/catalog/product/cache/1/thumbnail/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/s/h/shuriken2.jpg

It ain't that simple. There's no guarantee that any readily available replacement neck will fit the neck pocket. In fact, it's rather unlikely. And even if you did find one that drops right in, given the stock scale length, the if the distance from the last fret to the bridge changes significantly (it wouldn't take much) with a new neck, your intonation is gonna be wildly off, and there may not be enough travel with the bridge saddles to compensate.

There's always the option of finding a quality luthier you build you a custom neck, but that generally isn't cheap.

Because it ain't that simple. Yes, it's a bolt-on, but that doesn't mean much of anything. Strats and Teles are both bolt-ons made by the same company, but the neck dimensions are different, and they're not interchangeable. There's no guarantee that any readily available replacement neck will fit the neck pocket. In fact, it's rather unlikely. And even if you did find one with a heel that drops right in, fret spacing and positioning relative to the bridge is critical. With a new neck, if the distance from the last fret to the bridge changes significantly from the stock neck (and it wouldn't take much), your intonation will be wildly off. There may or may not be enough travel with the bridge saddles to compensate. This can be a problem swapping necks even when they're both the same scale length. It's entirely possible that you'd end up with a guitar that's impossible to intonate.

There's always the option of finding a quality luthier to build you a custom neck, but that generally isn't cheap.