Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 80 vs 250 ohm

Verne-Bunsen

Hello all,

I currently use a set of Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 80 ohm headphones with Helix and I am very happy with them. What I dial in through my FRFR translates nicely to them which is all a guy can ask for really. I'm looking to buy another set, so as to have a set dedicated to Helix, but I'm wondering if the 250 ohm version wouldn't be a better fit for the application. Most all of the headphone threads here contain references to the 80 ohm version but I don't think I've seen anybody mention using the 250s. Has anybody here used the 250 ohm DT 770s with Helix, or better yet has anybody had opportunity to compare both? Again I'm very pleased with the 80 ohm version, so there is the "known quantity" factor there, however the idea of something a little better is always appealing, especially when they price point is essentially the same...

Thanks!

-VB

I use the 250 ohm, I love them! Translate well for me too. But I can't give you a comparison to the 80. 

When I was ordering them, I was worried I might have to buy an amp for them, as other forum post always talked about needing an amp for the 250 ohms, but nope, the Helix powers them good enough for me, I usually have the headphone volume around 10 to11 o'clock and it is loud enough for me.

I bought a pair of DT770 250ohm for Helix use, I was very happy with the sound quality compared to my Bose, I did have to turn the volume up to drive them but it was only just over half way up so there's plenty volume left in the helix.

I actually returned the DTs because I couldn't get along with the curly cable, I bought Audio Technica MX50 which are only 38 ohm but like the DTs they also sound awesome through helix so my opinion is it really does not matter what ohms you have once you have a set of industry standard cans, I have a Yamaha dxr10 and patches translate well.

• Upvote 1

...I actually returned the DTs because I couldn't get along with the curly cable...

That's an interesting tidbit. My 80s have a straight cable and I like that, I find coiled cables a bit bulky and unwieldly. From a quick search it looks like re-cabling the 250s with a straight cable is not uncommon, so that's an option if it were to be an issue. A factor to consider anyway, thanks!

My Audio Technica ATH-M70X headphones sound great and are 35 Ohms, so the Helix is definitely capable of cleanly driving impedances lower than 250 Ohms. Those M70X cans are rated a 2 Watts, and are deafening with the Helix volume past noon. But, at normal to loud listening volumes they sound great. Then again so do my Bose QC25s, but the Bose have the usual hyped bass and treble of consumer headphones, whereas the M70X are reference level flat.

Hi Verne,

Yes I was aware of the cable mod and I was prepared to do that even though it was going to void my warranty, lucky for me though the store I use was able to let me A/B a few pairs of cans, to my 48 year old ears there was no loss in quality between mx50's and the DT 770 plus the mx50 had 3 detachable cables, felt slightly better on my head and sound better through my phone should I wish to listen to you tube videos in the wee small hours 😀

...but the Bose have the usual hyped bass and treble of consumer headphones...

That was my experience with my QC15s. They're great for listening to tunes or watching movies on the airplane (my usual use for them), but they weren't at all pleasing with Helix. At least not in a way that agreed with what sounded good through my Atomic CLR...

...the store I use was able to let me A/B a few pairs of cans...

I guess that would be ideal, duly noted.

I've looked at the 880s and would be interested to compare them to the 770s and hear the effect of the semi-open vs closed construction. 

I have listened thru 80ohm DT770s and I own a pair of DT880pro 250ohm. The DT770s @ 80 ohm seem like decent cans but there is a loss of frequency and a boxiness that colours the sound. The DT880s are all round ace and are way more popular than the DT990s which are considered to be overly bright and unsuitable for long sessions.

I have 80 ohm DT770s (came with a straight cable) and 250 ohm DT990s (coiled cable). I do most of my patch creation with the 770s as I can hear better nuance in the sound. Not sure how much of that is due to the closed back vs. the drivers.

I use the 990s to tweak the EQ. The open back allows the room sound in, which means it sounds a bit more like playing live.

I can see where a coiled cable works well if you are sitting at a mixing deck, but with my Helix on the floor, my ears are at least 5 or 6 feet away and the coiled cable pulls. I prefer the straight cable.

• Upvote 1

I have listened thru 80ohm DT770s and I own a pair of DT880pro 250ohm. The DT770s @ 80 ohm seem like decent cans but there is a loss of frequency and a boxiness that colours the sound. The DT880s are all round ace and are way more popular than the DT990s which are considered to be overly bright and unsuitable for long sessions.

Well, that's food for thought...

I have 80 ohm DT770s (came with a straight cable) and 250 ohm DT990s (coiled cable). I do most of my patch creation with the 770s as I can hear better nuance in the sound. Not sure how much of that is due to the closed back vs. the drivers.

I use the 990s to tweak the EQ. The open back allows the room sound in, which means it sounds a bit more like playing live.

I can see where a coiled cable works well if you are sitting at a mixing deck, but with my Helix on the floor, my ears are at least 5 or 6 feet away and the coiled cable pulls. I prefer the straight cable.

Interesting approach, using different headphones for different parts of crafting tones. I agree with you on preferring a straight cable, I'd imagine if I settle on a set with a coiled cable I'll end up re-cabling it...

I really like my 880s.  I'm partial to open-backed cans for home playing so my family doesn't have to scream at me to get my attention.

Another nod for the 880s, noted. My son (9 years old) is completely oblivious to the notion that I can't simultaneously talk about Transformers and play/record. Exasperating and endearing all at once, haha! 

Yes the curly cable sucks, mine also pops out of the can, I bought a straight cable with mini xlr, just haven't had the time to solder/bolt it in. Wow a year fly's by....

I have always liked closed back, I have been very happy with this choice of the DT 770 250, I even ran a splitter to my old AKG K240 55ohm out of the Helix while recording with a vocalist at the same time recording guitar and worked fine.

For me the AKG K240 55ohm always distorted (used them for around 15 years.....), I wondered if it was my hearing going bad as I'm getting older as I didn't remember that back when I bought them, but I hear no distortion in the Beyerdynamic DT770, wish I would of bought them years ago!

• 2 years later...

HI to all, I read a lot of people that really like the byerdinamic DT770 with helix...Or in general a lot of people that like a lot the high impednce headphones.

May be the sound quality can be higher compared to some lowest impedance headphones...but I've a question about voulme.

In general an higher impedance headphone should give less volume to the hear isn't it?

So do you need to increase the phone output volume in  helix to listen at reasonable level isn't it? or do you need external headphone driver?.

I experimented with AKG240MKii..they are not bad and they have an impedance of 55OHms.. I tried also a pair of auddiotechnica m40X with 32 impedance and the difference in terms of volume is big...and also the sound quality on the Audiotechnica is better compared to the AKG240.

thank you.

KR-

M.