Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

2.21 update done ...some bugs

theredguitar6

Just done the 2.21 update - absolutely as instructions , reset globals etc ...all looked good.

However on restoring (bundle restore) all my presets -  the i.r's have gone  ( i think we know about this and i know where they all need to go) BUT .... many presets have lost all their snapshots?   Hmm ... not great.

Any comments?

• Upvote 1

You have to export your IRs before upgrading, then import them again after. That's how it's always been, and is covered in the release notes.

The easiest way to put your IRs back in their original locations is to rename them with a 3-digit prefix before you export them. Makes it easier to drag them back into the editor in order, and easy to see when something's in the wrong place.

And yes this is a pain. We hope that Helix Native will include some form of IR management that removes the need to do this by hand, and ideally makes it easier to reorganize your IRs without your presets losing their pointers to them.

Far as losing snapshots, that's not great. Hope it doesn't  happen to me when I upgrade. You're the only one I've seen reporting that with 2.21. Doesn't mean it's not happening, or not happening to others too.

Did the 2.21 FW update last night without a hitch. Ran through all my core presets, after reloading my set lists. All snaps worked as they did before. I have some where I change drive, tone, and ch volume from clean to OD per snap, and worked fine. Have some where I change from one JTV model to another with tuning changes and worked fine.

OP said he reloaded his bundle, not the best way from what we've discussed on the forum and TGP. By set list has become SOP for most folks. The bundle wipes out any updates L6 may have made to the Factory 1 & 2, plus Template set lists...

The IR's get wiped out in the reset, so you need to save prior to the update and then reload them just like your presets. The globals and such have to be re-entered when the reset is performed, including your preferences for preset/stomp/snapshot, line/mic levels on the outputs, yada yada yada. Sucks that those are not part of the backup data (yet - they've hinted...), but sucks to be a realist and deal with what is, but there it is.

Dave

I've noticed in my case that when doing the latest upgrade it actually took a few minutes after the unit had rebuilt all the patches to get everything in order so to speak. After the upgrade i went to my ir's and they were not there. I poked around a little went back and they were all there.   

I've noticed in my case that when doing the latest upgrade it actually took a few minutes after the unit had rebuilt all the patches to get everything in order so to speak. After the upgrade i went to my ir's and they were not there. I poked around a little went back and they were all there.

Not sure what you mean. The global reset after upgrading firmware deletes all IRs from the Helix device. You need to manually restore them to the same locations. If that's what you mean by 'poking around', then yes - they are now 'all there'.

If you did not manually reload the IRs and they are still in the device that means you did not complete the update by resetting the globals. Your Helix will have unpredictable issues.

Did the 2.21 FW update last night without a hitch. Ran through all my core presets, after reloading my set lists. All snaps worked as they did before. I have some where I change drive, tone, and ch volume from clean to OD per snap, and worked fine. Have some where I change from one JTV model to another with tuning changes and worked fine.

OP said he reloaded his bundle, not the best way from what we've discussed on the forum and TGP. By set list has become SOP for most folks. The bundle wipes out any updates L6 may have made to the Factory 1 & 2, plus Template set lists...

The IR's get wiped out in the reset, so you need to save prior to the update and then reload them just like your presets. The globals and such have to be re-entered when the reset is performed, including your preferences for preset/stomp/snapshot, line/mic levels on the outputs, yada yada yada. Sucks that those are not part of the backup data (yet - they've hinted...), but sucks to be a realist and deal with what is, but there it is.

Dave

Ah ....ok ... I guess i just followed the Line 6 "method' for updating firmware including re loading exported bundle..but what you say makes more sense.  Export and reload by set list. 

I've done a bit more research on the 'corrupted' snapshot thing.  I seems that the problem only occurred on 5 presets ...all of which were derivatives of a 'master' preset i built a while ago.  Interestingly this had previously been one of those presets that had caused a lock up when copying to a different location. So... i'v rebuilt the damn thing just in case. 

All else seems ok ... and i did realise i would have restore the ir's... it just a pain though isn't it.

I did the update this morning.  Pretty much uneventful.  I saved all my presets to a bundle and reinstalled them.  I haven't had a lot of time to dig in, but I did notice the one snapshot test I made a few days ago, all the snapshot names were gone.  As for IR's, I decided to start over.  I now have those loaded and we'll see how things go when I get a change to turn on the Helix.

... I saved all my presets to a bundle and reinstalled them. ....

So you overwrote the v2.21 factory presets with the bundle-saved v2.20 factory presets. Not sure what, if any, changes there were in v2.21 but if there were any you don't have them.

For this reason I prefer to save individual setlists rather than the bundle during the firmware update process.

Well I decided to play around with the Helix.  Big issue.  Once I turn it on, it begins loading all the presets over.  So, I let it happen, reset global and added back in my bundle.  Then redid the IR's.  Turned it off and back on, and now it's reloading presets again.  This isn't right.  Any ideas?

Well I decided to play around with the Helix.  Big issue.  Once I turn it on, it begins loading all the presets over.  So, I let it happen, reset global and added back in my bundle.  Then redid the IR's.  Turned it off and back on, and now it's reloading presets again.  This isn't right.  Any ideas?

It's not "reloading presets" it is "rebuilding" them. Any time you move preset data into blank presets, it "rebuilds" them on the next boot up. 

It's not "reloading presets" it is "rebuilding" them. Any time you move preset data into blank presets, it "rebuilds" them on the next boot up. 

Got it.  Thanks for clarifying.  I've been messing around with it, turned it on and off and it's fine.  Thanks!!!

Good deal. You'll find that upon doing a factory reset, it will rebuild all 1024 presets. After that, when you import presets using the editor software, it will rebuild those presets upon rebooting. I always reboot after importing presets so it goes through the rebuilding process. I am not sure if it is necessary, just something I always do. The term "rebuilding" sounds pretty important, and it only does that upon a reboot. 

Novice user here, only had Helix 2 weeks.  After updating to 2.21 notice factory preset sound changed.  Specifically the Texas Flood (factory 2 11D) which i had previously been enjoying allot.  I have called line6 but have not resolved it as of yet.  I have noticed other presets just sound awfull as well where as before i liked them.  I know it had something to do with the update but have tried many things and have not resolved????????

Novice user here, only had Helix 2 weeks.  After updating to 2.21 notice factory preset sound changed.  Specifically the Texas Flood (factory 2 11D) which i had previously been enjoying allot.  I have called line6 but have not resolved it as of yet.  I have noticed other presets just sound awfull as well where as before i liked them.  I know it had something to do with the update but have tried many things and have not resolved????????

Presets often change from one firmware to the next. Some are added, some go away, some are tweaked.

The update process involves a global parameters reset. This can affect the sound. Review your global settings, especially your output settings, and restore to your preference if necessary.

Also it is quite common for Line 6 to modify the factory presets - adding some, removing some, and adjusting existing ones. This usually results in improvements to existing presets. But it's possible that changes to some presets are simply not to your liking. Perhaps there's nothing to resolve other than tweaking those presets to try to get the previous sound that you liked better, or reloading the old presets if you have saved them.

I think it woukd be great if they included a description of everything that the update includes...that way if the did tweek a preset youd know to be aware and could dial it back to previous taste. I still feel like its something else though but not experienced enough to pinpoint. The new preset is so much worse i just having a hard accepting they woukd tweek it that much worse.

The new preset is so much worse i just having a hard accepting they woukd tweek it that much worse.

It may sound worse with your guitar and monitor and playing style, but it may sound phenomenal with another. I am certain than if changes were made, they were made because, subjectively, they sounded better to the guy doing it. As I like to say, "One man's 'fixed' is another man's 'ruined'"..,

It has happened on a few others as well. I still feel like its something global. I have a blackstar ht-5r i run ot through and i use my beyer dt 770 pro headphones. The blackstar has emulated stereo out. Directly to phone jack of helix sounds like crap. Texas Flood preset sounded great to me before. It was almost perfect. Im using fender strat american deluxe tuned 1/2 step down.

If you happen to like a particular factory preset (I liked the Texas Flood one myself) save it to one of your user setlists and make sure it gets backed up with all your other presets before firmware updates. 

I saved that one, and renamed it, so it stays backed up with all my others. 

Just done the 2.21 update - absolutely as instructions , reset globals etc ...all looked good.

Apparenty not as "absolutely" as you thought....

2. Use your CURRENT EXISTING Helix application to back up all of your presets and IRs (if you want to keep them). For example, if you’re running Helix FW 1.12, your current Helix application version should be 1.12.

8. Using the NEW Helix editor application (2.21), restore the user presets you backed up in step 2.

Did it sound right for you in 2.20? I'm still on 2.20 and would be happy to check some parameters for you if you'd like.

When I got the unit I believe it was the one just before 2.20 because I remembered seeing "Cold Shot", which was removed on 2.20 I believe?  I then installed editor and updater and installed 2.20 (did not reboot)........... used TEXAS FLOOD for a couple days, and it sounded great.  Then I called Line6 about something else and he told me update to 2.21 and reboot.  That's when I started having the problems?  Yes, could we compare parameters on Texas Flood that would be great!   Is there a way in upload the preset here in the forum???

Have you checked your Global Settings -> Ins/Outs? Experiment with the Output settings and see if changing from the default settings helps.

Thanks.......I'm pretty sure I have the set back to what I had them originally when I was liking it. 

If you happen to like a particular factory preset (I liked the Texas Flood one myself) save it to one of your user setlists and make sure it gets backed up with all your other presets before firmware updates. 

I saved that one, and renamed it, so it stays backed up with all my others. 

Thanks.....I will definitely be aware of that before the next update!

Don't remember who or where, but someone here had an archive of the factory presets from the different firmware releases. Also don't know if they've kept up with the recent releases.

Don't remember who or where, but someone here had an archive of the factory presets from the different firmware releases. Also don't know if they've kept up with the recent releases.

Thanks...I'll do some searching for that and see if I can locate.  I do have a link to "old replaced presets" -----------------   http://line6.com/support/topic/24059-2100-factory-presets-out-with-the-old-in-with-the-new/?do=findComment&comment=183685 --------------------- but not the old pre- tweeks! 

Apparenty not as "absolutely" as you thought....

2. Use your CURRENT EXISTING Helix application to back up all of your presets and IRs (if you want to keep them). For example, if you’re running Helix FW 1.12, your current Helix application version should be 1.12.

8. Using the NEW Helix editor application (2.21), restore the user presets you backed up in step 2.

Fair point but i think L6 should make it clear that saving everything as a bundle apparently has no merit.  Not sure the point of this feature?   As i've had further issues with the rack- i have in fact done the correct way now - re installed firmware and re-installed my presets and ir's.  The rack is still flaky and freezing as per my other post about vol block issues.   I have installed some 3rd party presets from other users - i'm going to remove those now  - just in case.

Fair point but i think L6 should make it clear that saving everything as a bundle apparently has no merit.  Not sure the point of this feature?   .....

The feature does have merit, just not in the context of a firmware update. For general purposes it's the fastest way of doing a full backup of all setlists. Just don't update the firmware before restoring the bundle.

Fair point but i think L6 should make it clear that saving everything as a bundle apparently has no merit.  [...]

Manual of the Helix application (editor):

NOTE: Bundles do not contain any of the Helix device's global settings or

Impulse Response (IR) files that you have imported to your Helix. You can

separately export IRs from the Impulses Panel

The feature does have merit, just not in the context of a firmware update. For general purposes it's the fastest way of doing a full backup of all setlists. Just don't update the firmware before restoring the bundle.

it is also the very best way to move all your patches from a main unit to a backup unit.

Yes, could we compare parameters on Texas Flood that would be great!   Is there a way in upload the preset here in the forum???

Attached here is the FW 2.20 version of Texas Flood. The forum software may do some funny business with the file extension, you may have to change it before importing. It should be simply "Texas Flood 2.20.hlx"

edit - it won't let me upload "files of this kind", stand by....

re-edit - I dunno, seems like a .hlx file would be exactly the kind a guy SHOULD be able to upload here? I've put it on my Drop Box, you should be able to get it from there without any trouble:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/p5pso6u1g6hku6f/Texas%20Flood%202.20.hlx?dl=0

I always backup bundles 'just in case' although I do not use them for restores. It would be nice if there was a "Partial Bundle" backup that backed up all the User setlists, IRs, and maybe even global settings but not the Factory or Template setlists. That would certainly make restores faster after a firmware update.  Backing up global settings might be a bit problematic when they change in new firmware versions so I can see where that might be left out or separate from the "Partial Bundle".

I only saved bundle one time this was last year in may before 2.00

And i had some problem with some preset i made after importing the bundle

So i asked for help on the Helix FB group and he said i should save setlist instead.

So after that i never save bundles only setlists and it has been working fine as Helix remember everything even the colors above the FS on my snapshots.

Attached here is the FW 2.20 version of Texas Flood. The forum software may do some funny business with the file extension, you may have to change it before importing. It should be simply "Texas Flood 2.20.hlx"

edit - it won't let me upload "files of this kind", stand by....

re-edit - I dunno, seems like a .hlx file would be exactly the kind a guy SHOULD be able to upload here? I've put it on my Drop Box, you should be able to get it from there without any trouble:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/p5pso6u1g6hku6f/Texas%20Flood%202.20.hlx?dl=0

Thanks for doing that, it was very helpful.  I added your texas flood to my helix under a different preset and tried it out.  I also analyzed the chain and its identical to what I have. It sounds the same and is definitely not what I was enjoying before.  So it must have been the version prior to 2.20 I was using that I liked so much....... or something globally has been messed up and I cant figure it out....... or the unit has issues.  But it's more than likely me.  If someone out there has the prior version to 2.20 saved that would be the final piece of the puzzle.