Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

FIRMWARE INSTALLATION

silverhead

I know the Helix firmware update procedure is cumbersome right now. Line 6 has promised a smoother process in future, but righ now it is what it is. I see many people are still not performing the v2.21 update properly. I think the problem is that some people are beginning with the firmware. DON'T DO THAT!

You need to BEGIN WITH THE EDITOR installation package. To get the editor package go to the Downloads section of this website. Select Helix in the middle (software) field, NOT the leftmost (Products) field. Leave the Products field blank (all Products). READ and FOLLOW the installation instructions. Use the Get Download button at the bottom of the instructions panel to download and install the editor package when directed.

• Upvote 1

I've found selecting Helix in the software field leads me to a page where 2.20 is listed as the most recent editor to download. Selecting Helix from the products page allowed me to find 2.21, anybody else seeing the same?

The one thing that is a little different with this firmware is that if you've already installed 2.20, you don't actually need to download anything (Updater will download the latest firmware for you). You can back up your setlists and/or bundle with the 2.20 editor, close the editor, open Line 6 Updater and install the 2.21 firmware, do the FS 9+10 reset, and the re-open the editor to re-install your setlists or bundle.

2.20 is still the latest version of the editor.

• Upvote 1

I've found selecting Helix in the software field leads me to a page where 2.20 is listed as the most recent editor to download. Selecting Helix from the products page allowed me to find 2.21, anybody else seeing the same?

Yes. I had to click on the "Read More" link under the Helix 2.20 update to get to the 2.21 stuff. 

http://line6.com/software/

• Upvote 1

Yes, this update is a little different as Phil points out. However the guideline I posted works in all cases (including updating from v2.11 and earlier) and doesn't require the unpublished knowledge that this one is different. In fact, the firmware installation instructions for v2.21 still direct you to download and install Editor v2.20. It does no harm to reinstall the editor package.

So if you already know enough to understand the difference this time then you don't need the guideline. But I believe that most people should start with the Editor package until the whole process is improved.

Note also that many people did not update to v2.20, and were waiting for 2.21 to update from v2.11. Those people really do need to start with the Editor package.

The one thing that is a little different with this firmware is that if you've already installed 2.20, you don't actually need to download anything (Updater will download the latest firmware for you). You can back up your setlists and/or bundle with the 2.20 editor, close the editor, open Line 6 Updater and install the 2.21 firmware, do the FS 9+10 reset, and the re-open the editor to re-install your setlists or bundle.

2.20 is still the latest version of the editor.

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This update came relatively quickly after the last big leap so the Editor did not go through a revision stage. Just run the Line 6 Updater if you are already on v2.20 - it's painless!

If you feel the need to have a backup copy of the Firmware on your PC/Mac, it can be found by selecting from the "Free Software Download" options:

Helix - Flash Memory - All OS (select your OS from the dropdown)

Then from Helix Firmware 2.21 Release Notes, scroll down to GET DOWNLOAD and click, then ACCEPT AND DOWNLOAD, when transfer is done look on your PC/Mac where your files are usually downloaded and you will find a file named "Helix_FLOOR_v2_21_0_bundle.hxf".

ALTERNATIVELY

If you selected:

Helix Rack - Flash Memory - All OS (select your OS from the dropdown)

do the same but the file will be named "Helix_RACK_v2_21_0_bundle.hxf"

Likewise if you have selected: 

Helix LT - Flash Memory - All OS (select your OS from the dropdown)

do the same only this time the file will be "Helix_LT_v2_21_0_bundle.hxf"

You need to BEGIN WITH THE EDITOR installation package. To get the editor package go to the Downloads section of this website. Select Helix in the middle (software) field, NOT the leftmost (Products) field. Leave the Products field blank (all Products). READ and FOLLOW the installation instructions. Use the Get Download button at the bottom of the instructions panel to download and install the editor package when directed.

Given the need to export presets/IRs with the editor that matches your firmware version, it might be good to put that as the "first" step, before installing anything new.  Better not to assume that the person has been diligently backup up their presets/IRs.

I know the Helix firmware update procedure is cumbersome right now. Line 6 has promised a smoother process in future, but righ now it is what it is. I see many people are still not performing the v2.21 update properly. I think the problem is that some people are beginning with the firmware. DON'T DO THAT!

Here is what I found to be a bit confusing about the firmware update process:

1) Following the instructions above, I go to the downloads page http://line6.com/software/,  select "Helix" from the middle software field, and select "GO".  

2) This takes me to the page shown below.  

Helix%20Install%201_zpsehdwh82u.jpg

The webpage stresses the importance of following the instructions.  Line "3." instructs you to "download and install the LATEST Helix editor application (2.20), available here: http://line6.com/software/" however "http://line6.com/software/" is not a hyperlink so clicking it does nothing.  If I cut-n-paste the URL into my browser, it takes me right back to the software download page where I started in step 1.

3) In order to download the editor software, you actually need to go the bottom of the posting in step 2 and click on the GET DOWNLOAD link:

Helix%20Install%202_zps0wrxmisq.jpg

I figured it out and everything worked okay, however its a little unnerving to be to be explicitly warned to follow the instructions yet they don't work and so its necessary to download the software in a different manner.   

• Upvote 2

Thank you @MojoAxe for that clear explanation. I haven't done 2.21 yet, and can't until later, but it sounds like you've identified a very unintuitive aspect of this process, and helped guide people through it.

Line 6, you know I love you, but sheesh, this is user-centered software design 101. The instructions​ have to be clear, and have to work on a basic human level, before the techier bits even matter.

• Upvote 1

Here is what I found to be a bit confusing about the firmware update process:

1) Following the instructions above, I go to the downloads page http://line6.com/software/,  select "Helix" from the middle software field, and select "GO".  

2) This takes me to the page shown below.  

Helix%20Install%201_zpsehdwh82u.jpg

The webpage stresses the importance of following the instructions.  Line "3." instructs you to "download and install the LATEST Helix editor application (2.20), available here: http://line6.com/software/" however "http://line6.com/software/" is not a hyperlink so clicking it does nothing.  If I cut-n-paste the URL into my browser, it takes me right back to the software download page where I started in step 1.

3) In order to download the editor software, you actually need to go the bottom of the posting in step 2 and click on the GET DOWNLOAD link:

Helix%20Install%202_zps0wrxmisq.jpg

I figured it out and everything worked okay, however its a little unnerving to be to be explicitly warned to follow the instructions yet they don't work and so its necessary to download the software in a different manner.   

I gotta say I totally agree with all of this .  In fact when I first got my Helix (3 weeks ago) I had a hard time finding the editor.  Why are there 2 pulldown menus where you can select Helix. It's just confusing. It's amazing, great, wonderful, easy to use, and all of that.  But it's also, a little bit glitchy, lacking the depth and volume of models that the competition has, and annoying to update mostly because of easily fixed navigation BS on your website.   Cmon....  this is your flagship product. Can we add easy to follow hyperlinks?

I gotta say I totally agree with all of this . In fact when I first got my Helix (3 weeks ago) I had a hard time finding the editor. Why are there 2 pulldown menus where you can select Helix. It's just confusing. It's amazing, great, wonderful, easy to use, and all of that. But it's also, a little bit glitchy, lacking the depth and volume of models that the competition has, and annoying to update mostly because of easily fixed navigation BS on your website. Cmon.... this is your flagship product. Can we add easy to follow hyperlinks?

Helix is the name of the editor application... That's why it shows up in both pulldown menus.

Helix is the name of the editor application... That's why it shows up in both pulldown menus.

First Column is labeled all products.  Second one is labeled all software.  Its Helix, not pod farm, it confused me.  Maybe they should name it Helix Editor.  Just a thought...

...And now where's that Mezcal.   

If Line 6 changed "Helix" to "Helix Editor" -- in the 2nd "Software" Column -- it would make things a lot clearer!! Doing so, would eliminate ONE of several ambiguities that commonly trips up some users.

This ^^^^^^

Well it gets my vote!

Line 6 do bother to differentiate between Helix Floor, Rack and LT, so why not have this module named "Helix Editor"?

Next up we will have the addition of Helix Native, which I would imaging will be classed as both a product and software.

It's gonna get crazy!

If Line 6 changed "Helix" to "Helix Editor" -- in the 2nd "Software" Column -- it would make things a lot clearer!! Doing so, would eliminate ONE of several ambiguities that commonly trips up some users.

Tripped me up

If you are going to rename it I actually think the "Helix" should be changed to "Helix Suite" or something to that effect. It should absolutely not be changed to "Helix Editor" as this download contains the Editor, Updater, and the driver and naming it after only one of three components contained in the software is even more confusing in my opinion. As has been mentioned however Line6 is working on an improved install process that will hopefully render this issue moot.

• Upvote 1

If you are going to rename it I actually think the "Helix" should be changed to "Helix Suite" or something to that effect. It should absolutely not be changed to "Helix Editor" as this download contains the Editor, Updater, and the driver and naming it after only one of three components contained in the software is even more confusing in my opinion. As has been mentioned however Line6 is working on an improved install process that will hopefully render this issue moot.

"Helix Suite" or "Helix Apps" work. Either would help distinguish from the existing ambiguity.

I just bought my LT.  I need to do all the updating tomorrow.  Is there a simple, step by step link somewhere showing how to go through the downloading process for the updater, the editor software and firmware update.  This thread is making this seem really complicated.  I am pretty computer literate, but this thread is making this whole process seem pretty complicated. I handled my HD500X pretty easily, but this sounds much more complicated.

• 9 months later...

I'm running Windows 7, have downloaded the .hxf file for the Helix editor ... which cannot be opened ...any ideas?

What program should be used to open it?

Any help would be appreciated folks

You don't need to download the .hxf file to install the update. You just need to run Line 6 Updater (make sure HX Edit is closed before starting it), and follow the prompts to send the update.

You don't need to download the .hxf file to install the update. You just need to run Line 6 Updater (make sure HX Edit is closed before starting it), and follow the prompts to send the update.

Yepper! ONCE I CLOSED HX EDITOR, it worked like a charm.