Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

JTV-69 Single Coil Bridge Replacement with Lil 59

Hey all, sorry for the dual post.  Should have posted in this forum...

I just ordered a black JTV-69 with maple neck from Reverb.  I really wanted a humbucker in the bridge position, but they were sold out on those models.  I like the maple neck, so I went with the S-S-S config.  I want to order a Seymore Duncan Lil 59 single coil sized humbucker and put it in the bridge position but then I read on these forums that the pots are 500K and not 250K on the JTV.

Is this going to be an issue if I decide to do the replacement?  Any thoughts, help are appreciated.  I am more of a player than modifier, so not sure if this will work...

Thanks,

WithALoudNoise

I have a JTV69 and 89F. There's a lot to like about the JTV's including that the mag pickups sound very good and the models give you plenty of options. I would recommend spending some time with it before deciding to mod it. The spank (Strat) models are pretty useful and you can always create your own single coil model in the Custom spot by using the Work Bench HD editor.

I also fancy the maple neck of the 69S and may end up getting one of those also. I use my JTV's with my Helix and it's a great combination. I put a Warmouth Strat replacement neck on my 69. But I haven't messed with the electronics and probably won't.

Hey all, sorry for the dual post.  Should have posted in this forum...

I just ordered a black JTV-69 with maple neck from Reverb.  I really wanted a humbucker in the bridge position, but they were sold out on those models.  I like the maple neck, so I went with the S-S-S config.  I want to order a Seymore Duncan Lil 59 single coil sized humbucker and put it in the bridge position but then I read on these forums that the pots are 500K and not 250K on the JTV.

Is this going to be an issue if I decide to do the replacement?  Any thoughts, help are appreciated.  I am more of a player than modifier, so not sure if this will work...

Thanks,

WithALoudNoise

A couple of points...

I don't own a JTV, so I'm sure, but I thought the pots were configurable by patch. I know on the legacy variax you can change tone pot resistance, though not sure when using mags on JTV - I figure they should be.

There is apparantly an issue with putting in pickups that are too hot for the electronics downstream. Maybe psarkissian can chime in here....

Thanks all for the replies.  My guitar tech  said the replacement wouldn't be an issue.  The reason I am really wanting a humbucker in the bridge position is that I have an American Standard Strat that has three single coils.  I think the 'lil '59 will be a great alternative in the variax.  I will play around with the stock pickups a bit before the switch to check them out though.

Can't wait to see this thing in action with the Helix!