Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

DT50 via L6 and XLR out to FRFR speaker sounds way different

ccornel

Hey guys,

Hoping someone could give me some insight on this.  My setup is Helix to DT50 head via USB and MIDI and XLR out to QSC K10 floor monitor and mains.  I am sending the amp and cab info to DT50 via MIDI.  Issue is that the patches sound super bright through the DT50 and pretty dark throught the QSC and mains.  I have only recently started using the DT50 with Helix.  I had been using the QSC as my "amp" and straight out of XLR's to mains.  I didn't have this noticable a difference in treble and brightness.  What might i look at to bring the sound more into line with each other?

Thanks,

Carl

DunedinDragon,

Thanks for reply.  The thing is i'm using all four voices on various patches. All of them are way brighter than whats coming through direct connection. How would i compensate for that i guess is my question.

Thanks,

Carl

I don't understand the connection to DT50, USB? and midi?  Did you mean L6 link?  If so the problem has been extensively detailed previously by me and others.  The DT is based on POD HD software vs the Helix HX software.  The two are not directly compatible like the DT and HD500 were.  What happens is the Helix is sending the full signal to the DT but the DT is then playing it through its own internal amp and cab modeling depending on which voicing you have selected.  The voicing switch does not just control the power section topology which I suspect is what you want it to do.  Thus you have a much different tone than expected.

Your choices are either reconfigure the DT to turn off the internal modeling and continue using L6 and midi to configure the DT or go direct in to the DT FX return and again use midi for configuration.  The end result with both ways is to bypass the DT internal amp and cab modeling and just use the DT power section to amplify your Helix tones.  The disadvantage is the DT stays in the last configuration you sent it by midi.  See the below link for a better description of my solution.

Either way it won't sound exactly the same as your PA since the speakers are quite different.  Also I set up dual outputs in Helix so the one going to the DT has no cab or IR and the one going to the PA does.  I also prefer full amp models through the DT, not preamps.

http://line6.com/support/topic/26901-helix-l6-to-dt50/?do=findComment&comment=208473

Radatats, Thanks for your reply.  Jeez i'm a moron.  I meant L6 link NOT USB.  I'll check your link and see if i can do trhis right.  I get that patches are going to sound different going through DT50 and QSC and mains.  But it's just SO different that I thought i'd ask you guys.  

Based on your reply and without checking the link i'm wondering if i'm not "blanking out" the DT50 before loading voicing, channel, class and there is still an amp and cab being applied on top of my amp and cab(s) sent from the Helix patch.  

I'm not sittingf in front of the amp right now but when i set up a patch i go into the midi section and set up channel a, class a, pentode, voicing via midi commands.  I don't send any of the commands that select "none" for amp or cabinet.

Maybe i'll try the dual path method you describe.  

This whole thing sure works easier on my HD500X .  I didn't want to have to think this hard!

Carl