Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

help guys i need this tone!!!!!! sooo chewy!

knoxdaz10

from this video checkout the tone in the intro. damn thats chewy! what amp is he using and pedals. ? much apreciated

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVSzSVYqjbU

im thinking some kind of fender amp with a fuzz on with volume knob all the way down. i dunno

Thanks for sharing, felt like I just went to church! Very nice tone!

Hopefully you play a Tele because it's going to be a stretch getting that sound without it.

There's a couple of ways I might approach this with my Tele.  Probably I'd start with the Bassman and if that wasn't right I'd go to the HiWatt.  I might actually try a Vox cabinet or any 2 x 12 that's a celestion blue.  I think I'd be using a Celstion IR 2 x 12 closed back version either the dark or balanced mix.  Probably an SM57 or Sennheiser mic, but definitely some form of standard guitar dynamic mic.  I don't think he's using anything more than just the drive on the amp...no fuzz.  It's not a particularly heavy amount of drive, but just enough to be consistent at full volume on the guitar backed off slightly on the bridge tone knob.  As someone else mentioned there's a lot of compression on this so I'd start with the Red Squeeze as it's the easiest to get that type of compression.

But you're going to be quite frustrated getting that type of sound without a Tele similar to his which looks to me like it's using the noiseless pickups.  I'm actually thinking he's using one of the new Tele Elites which are using 4th generation noiseless pickups.

Hopefully you play a Tele because it's going to be a stretch getting that sound without it.

There's a couple of ways I might approach this with my Tele.  Probably I'd start with the Bassman and if that wasn't right I'd go to the HiWatt.  I might actually try a Vox cabinet or any 2 x 12 that's a celestion blue.  I think I'd be using a Celstion IR 2 x 12 closed back version either the dark or balanced mix.  Probably an SM57 or Sennheiser mic, but definitely some form of standard guitar dynamic mic.  I don't think he's using anything more than just the drive on the amp...no fuzz.  It's not a particularly heavy amount of drive, but just enough to be consistent at full volume on the guitar backed off slightly on the bridge tone knob.  As someone else mentioned there's a lot of compression on this so I'd start with the Red Squeeze as it's the easiest to get that type of compression.

But you're going to be quite frustrated getting that type of sound without a Tele similar to his which looks to me like it's using the noiseless pickups.  I'm actually thinking he's using one of the new Tele Elites which are using 4th generation noiseless pickups.

reckon a strat would be ok?

reckon a strat would be ok?

I doubt you'll get that bright, scratchy sound of the tele, it's just very unique.  Maybe if you have .9's on your strat you might come close.  I have both a strat and a tele and I use them each for different sounds.  But then I have .10's on my Strat.

With a Strat I'd still go with either the Bassman or the HiWatt with a bit of drive added, definitely not a fuzz.  I'd probably still use either and SM57 or MD421 mic on an OwnHammer 2 x 12 closed back Celestion Blue cab but probably just the thin or balanced IR version for the strat.

I don't know if any of these will get the "Little Wing" tone the intro in this video is going for but here are some of the Hendrix offerings available on CustomTone. They might be a good place to start.

http://line6.com/customtone/search/?submitted=1&family=helix&search_term=Hendrix

i think its "bold as love" not little wing. but yeh hendrix

I doubt you'll get that bright, scratchy sound of the tele, it's just very unique.  Maybe if you have .9's on your strat you might come close.  I have both a strat and a tele and I use them each for different sounds.  But then I have .10's on my Strat.

With a Strat I'd still go with either the Bassman or the HiWatt with a bit of drive added, definitely not a fuzz.  I'd probably still use either and SM57 or MD421 mic on an OwnHammer 2 x 12 closed back Celestion Blue cab but probably just the thin or balanced IR version for the strat.

thx man yeh i think a tele is the way to go